Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2012 8:16:34 PM EDT

Just because I like sharing these things and can't do it on FB without causing a shitstorm because I live in such a small town where everyone is friends with everyone (including teachers ).  

Checked over a fractions packet today and marked 4 problems wrong and made my 9-year old rework them.  She flips out and says that 3 out of the 4 problems weren't even homework and they did them as a class.  Now, this is her math teacher whereas the last issue (if anyone remembers the whole *dull* synonym fiasco from a few weeks ago) was with her reading teacher but the situations are the same in that I'm sitting here looking at a wrong answer that the teacher told the class to write down and arguing with my kid who doesn't want to change it because she'll get in trouble.  

So, the kid and I went over the problems together and I got her to think about WHY the answer she had down was wrong.  She reworked them correctly but grumbled about getting in trouble the entire time so I wrote a note to the teacher explaining that I made her fix the problems and that I clearly marked the ones I was talking about so she could see for herself why they were incorrect.  I also mentioned the issue with the other teacher as a reason why I was sending the note with an explanation because the last time I promised my kid she wouldn't get in trouble for turning in a correct answer the teacher turned around and marked it wrong.  

Anyway, here is one of the ones I'm talking about:  

You can see the eraser marks on choice (d) which is the answer the teacher gave.  She obviously just misread what the problem was asking for and the other incorrect problems were the same way––––-just not reading closely enough––––-but still.......

I have to say that I'm much more forgiving in this situation because A) just trying to get these worked out with my daughter with the Things 2 and 3 bouncing around all over the place was making me frazzled and I don't have 20 other kids to deal with and B) this teacher hands out prizes to the students who catch her if she makes a mistake which says she's cool and doesn't think she's always right just because she's the teacher.  I dig that.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Good call.  I hope I have as much time someday to spend w/ the kids.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess the teacher missed the word "not" in bold and italics.  Good for you.

Our kids are homeschooled, so I get to deal with this type of learning on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics of teacher?

Or...maybe a description?

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pics of teacher?

I would like to second this motion please.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
6 lame kids asked if they like teh mathz

4 say "yes" they do like teh mathz; that leaves 2 that hate teh mathz.

how many do NOT like teh mathz?... 2

2/6 == 1/3

BRILLIANT!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I greatly fear the day my children start attending school...  how did things go with your other thread, the dull one?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pics of teacher?

Very attractive in the *woman in her 50s who thinks she's in her 30s and lives in Texas* sort of way.  

Meaning, well put together for her age, heavy on the makeup, big hair, predilection for bright clothes and accessorizes with her glasses which come in all shades of colors and are rhinestone-encrusted.  You know the type.  

She's very sweet and my daughter thinks highly of her.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I greatly fear the day my children start attending school...  how did things go with your other thread, the dull one?

Well, we wound up letting the issue drop because it was in the middle of my husband's string of working nights which throws us all into a tizzy and also, it wound up being a practice sheet and not for a grade.  Didn't really see the sense in a confrontation over something that wasn't having a negative effect on her grades.

What I'm hoping with the note, since I referenced the reading assignment issue, is that it gets passed around to at least the reading teacher and maybe the other 2 teachers in the group.  Just for them to be made aware that mistakes are being made.  Which is fine.  We're all human.  Just, please make doubly sure the kids aren't being penalized because of the teacher's mistake.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#9]
My daughter attends a school that the staff doesn't listen or cooperate well with parents, it's very frustrating.

That being said, mark the correct answer and explain why it's the correct answer. Attach a note to the teacher explaining why it isn't marked as it was originally and hope this teacher is not so insecure to argue.

I mean really, what else can you do at this point?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Valuable lesson learned:  Doing the right thing has consequences. At least she'll be well-prepared for a lifetime of working for overconfident idiots.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics of teacher?

Very attractive in the *woman in her 50s who thinks she's in her 30s and lives in Texas* sort of way.  

Meaning, well put together for her age, heavy on the makeup, big hair, predilection for bright clothes and accessorizes with her glasses which come in all shades of colors and are rhinestone-encrusted.  You know the type.  

Mimi Bobeck after bariatric surgery?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics of teacher?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#13]
At least this teacher sounds like she has a good sense about her in terms of finding errors.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I said 1/3 as well.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics of teacher?

Mimi Bobeck after bariatric surgery?

Actually, I think SETXshooter has it right with the Peggy Hill pic!  Hair and glasses anyway.  Peggy is a bit more.....sedate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
At least this teacher sounds like she has a good sense about her in terms of finding errors.

Yes, I hope so.  I switched the letter up a bit to be more lighthearted after my daughter mentioned that she gives prizes to the kids for finding her errors.  It had been all pro-fesh-u-nul up to that point so I edited it a bit and added some praise and humor in the last paragraph so it ended on a high note.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I said 1/3 as well.

And you're correct.  That's after I had her rework the problem.  Original answer as provided by the teacher was (d).  

You ARE smarter than a 4th grader!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was in school the comprehension questions were the ones that were most focused on.  I guess that's changed.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I said 1/3 as well.

And you're correct.  That's after I had her rework the problem.  Original answer as provided by the teacher was (d).  

You ARE smarter than a 4th grader!  

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I said 1/3 as well.

You ARE smarter than a 4th grader teacher!  

fify
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#21]
fractions in fourth grade? in Texas?
woahh woahh now
when I was in fourth grade we were getting that whole walking and potty training thing
fractions didn't even come along until high school....

FWIW. trick questions like these are nightmares for us ADD kids.
4/6 no problem 2/3 next question, and so on and so forth
figured out turning in your test first was not how you win the race

ohh and if you add on being dyslexic the answer is now...
4/6 no problem, 3/2 got it, and now the answer is 1 1/2
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
fractions in fourth grade? in Texas?
woahh woahh now
when I was in fourth grade we were getting that whole walking and potty training thing
fractions didn't even come along until high school....

FWIW. trick questions like these are nightmares for us ADD kids.
4/6 no problem 2/3 next question, and so on and so forth
figured out turning in your test first was not how you win the race

ohh and if you add on being dyslexic the answer is now...
4/6 no problem, 3/2 got it, and now the answer is 1 1/2

I remember fractions in 4th grade.  Specifically because that was when I was in the hospital for 2+ weeks with pneumonia so, to this day, I have trouble with fractions.  

I just found the whole thing amusing since they REALLY stress reading comprehension and making sure you have the pertinent information to choose the correct answer on the standardized tests.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
6 lame kids asked if they like teh mathz

4 say "yes" they do like teh mathz; that leaves 2 that hate teh mathz.

how many do NOT like teh mathz?... 2

2/6 == 1/3

BRILLIANT!

I wonder what the results would look like if you took a random sampling of the adult population in this country and asked them this same question.......
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics of teacher?

Meaning, well put together for her age, heavy on the makeup, big hair, predilection for bright clothes and accessorizes with her glasses which come in all shades of colors and are rhinestone-encrusted. You know the type.  

Sadly....no...

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#25]
My teachers in school sometimes didn't like me because I would point out errors in the textbooks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics of teacher?

Meaning, well put together for her age, heavy on the makeup, big hair, predilection for bright clothes and accessorizes with her glasses which come in all shades of colors and are rhinestone-encrusted. You know the type.  

Sadly....no...

Went searching for a pic as an example and from our local newspaper I found this:

Ladies on the left and right are prime specimens, if a little understated.  Dime a dozen here in TX.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#27]
ahhh i see now, cheers.

We call that "mutton dressed up as lamb"

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
ahhh i see now, cheers.

We call that "mutton dressed up as lamb"

Yep.  

The older I get, the more I feel for them though.  I'm forever forgetting I'm not 17 anymore so I can empathize.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Honestly, they can be very hot, if they just used less make-up. Lots of make-up is scary. And old lady perfume, thats a killer as well. Normal perfume is fine in small amounts.

(I cant believe im talking about this...)

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#30]

0.9bar

treadmill

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
<snip>
B) this teacher hands out prizes to the students who catch her if she makes a mistake which says she's cool and doesn't think she's always right just because she's the teacher.  I dig that.  

Hopefully this teacher's attitude will rub off on your child and she won't be as worried about having to put down wrong answers just because the teacher said to.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

0.9bar
treadmill

Well,

to you too.  

~~~sigh~~~

That sort of made sense before you edited your post.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#33]

No correct answer is possible.
Insufficient data and faulty conclusion.
The problem never stated how many students affirmatively stated they didn't like math.
What if the other two answered "No comment"?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

0.9bar

treadmill

Well,

to you too.  

~~~sigh~~~

That sort of made sense before you edited your post.  

See below.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The problem never stated how many students affirmatively stated they didn't like math.

You just crossed the line from concerned parent to smartass.  

Nicely done.  

I suspect someone in college or even high school could pull that one off.  Reminds me of this:

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You just crossed the line from concerned parent to smartass.  

Nicely done.  

I suspect someone in college or even high school could pull that one off.  Reminds me of this:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/1Example-of-a-Risk_2a4466fb64aaf0135ba661fef1fc3571.jpg

"just"!??

I don't think so.

I crossed that line YEARS ago!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top