Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2001 10:20:40 AM EDT
All morning an all white 4 engine commercial size jet has been flying low over the city I live in.
It has no windows and the only markings are an American flag on the tail.
Anybody have an idea what agency would be operating this aircraft?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
All morning an all white 4 engine commercial size jet has been flying low over the city I live in.
It has no windows and the only markings are an American flag on the tail.
Anybody have an idea what agency would be operating this aircraft?
View Quote

Crinkle, crinkle... It's the FBI watching what you're doing on your computer screen [:D]

Ian
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure it's four engine? I have a buddy that flies DC-9's for the U.S. Navy. They are predominatly white and have fewer windows than the civilian aircraft. Also the Navy is in the process of retiring the "C-9's" and getting a new type of airliner to replace them with, I don't know what type they are though. It could also be an Air Force refueler.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]
Quoted:
Are you sure it's four engine? I have a buddy that flies DC-9's for the U.S. Navy. They are predominatly white and have fewer windows than the civilian aircraft. Also the Navy is in the process of retiring the "C-9's" and getting a new type of airliner to replace them with, I don't know what type they are though. It could also be an Air Force refueler.
View Quote
[/b]

Yeah it has four engines and save for the cockpit no windows.
It has been over at least a half dozen times and it has been low and slow so got a good look with my binoculars.
No letters of any kind (USAF etc.) just an American flag and it happens to be reversed at that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Couldn't tell you about the plane, but my understanding is that the flag should appear backwards when on the right side of a plane.  I believe the idea is that if the flag was actually flying on a pole, from the plane, that's the direction it would face.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#5]
[b]
Quoted:
Couldn't tell you about the plane, but my understanding is that the flag should appear backwards when on the right side of a plane.  I believe the idea is that if the flag was actually flying on a pole, from the plane, that's the direction it would face.
View Quote
[/b]

Yeah your right.It is on the right side only.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Get out your camera, man. We need pictures!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#7]
EC or RC-135 perhaps.  What city/state??

hanko
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Digital camera will try to get a pic if it comes over again.

...hanko
I live in Fresno,California
We do have the only Air National Guard unit in the state I believe here so they may be doing something with them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#9]
In my area we see planes similar to what you've described.  They appear to be Boeing 707 based.

DrMark
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It has no windows........
View Quote

Sounds like a trainer for blind pilots to me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I know what it is, I know what it is, I know what it is!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Kinda makes you wanna wallpaper your apartment with tin foil.  [BD]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Did it look like 1 of these...

[url]http://www.users.qwest.net/~combatsent/[/url]

if so, tin foil's not gonna' do much [8D]

hanko
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#14]
ALL YOUR SIGNAL ARE BELONG TO US! [:O]

At least it isn't anywhere near Chinese airspace.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]
Quoted:
Did it look like 1 of these...

[url]http://www.users.qwest.net/~combatsent/[/url]

if so, tin foil's not gonna' do much [8D]

hanko
View Quote
[/b]

Yeah like the first one except it was all white I mean like snow and it only had the flag absolutely no other markings.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I know what it is, I know what it is, I know what it does, I know what it does, I know where it's from, I know where it's from!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#17]
This is gonna sound weird because it is weird.
In the 1980's I lived in Augusta, Ga., and a plane resembling the one you described made periodic trips into the main Augusta airport.  This plane had the flag but also a "Red Cross"
painted on the tail.  Paint out the cross and you've got the plane.
Now for the weird part,I was told the plane actually carried in and out classified material for the Army.  I saw it loading one day and nothing but plain boxes - sure as heck nothing to do with sick GI's.
I guess the lack of windows was to facilitate more sky bunks ??
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In the 1980's I lived in Augusta, Ga., and a plane resembling the one you described made periodic trips into the main Augusta airport.  This plane had the flag but also a "Red Cross"
Now for the weird part,I was told the plane actually carried in and out classified material for the Army.  I saw it loading one day and nothing but plain boxes - sure as heck nothing to do with sick GI's.
View Quote

There was probally no intent to hide the purpose of the mission, but what else are they going to carry in peacetime?  The pilots need to get some flying time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Country, you're "probably" correct.
Now as to what else they might carry in peacetime..................[:D]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]
[b]
Quoted:
I know what it is, I know what it is, I know what it does, I know what it does, I know where it's from, I know where it's from!!
View Quote
[/b]

Dude,if you know then spill your guts!
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#21]
From your description it sounds like a Boeing 707 airframe.  These have been in use by the U.S. military in various roles for decades.

It is most likely a KC-135 tanker.

There are various models of AWACS that act as forward/radar control for fighter wings & some bombers & then there are planes that are strictly Electronic Counter Measures (ECM) but those are usually
smaller planes: EF111's, EA6B's,F4G's, & I think a model of F15.
 Some may be strictly used as eavesdropping or spying platforms to listen to various electronic communications.

Are you near an U.S.  AFB ??????

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe it's a US Marshal prisoner transport plane.
Or ,I saw on the Discovery Channel once a show about Area 51. They used a non-descript jet like you describe to transport workers to the secure Govt facility.
Maybe we should stock up on tinfoil.....[(:|)]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#24]
[b]
Quoted:

Are you near an U.S.  AFB ??????

View Quote
[/b]

California Air National Guard.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#25]
[b]
Quoted:
Maybe it's a US Marshal prisoner transport plane.
Or ,I saw on the Discovery Channel once a show about Area 51. They used a non-descript jet like you describe to transport workers to the secure Govt facility.
Maybe we should stock up on tinfoil.....[(:|)]
View Quote
[/b]

I saw those shows too.
The Area 51 jets had passenger windows although the shades were pulled down on them.
They also had an orange stripe going down the length of the fuselage on both sides.
I believe the Marshall planes also had passenger windows,shades down as well,but can't say for sure on that one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Based on what you've posted...No pax windows, refueling boom, or excessive antennas, I seriously doubt it's military.  Quite possibly it is a freighter, most likely one of the DC-8 series, although there are a few  B707's still flying as freighters.  Most of the smaller freight companies don't prominently display their names on the fuselage.  And since many of them fly at night, they do most of their flight training during the day, the circles you described could possibly be repeated practice approaches.  If you can, get a picture and post it.  Another possibility would be to call your local airport control tower and ask them.

-Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Most likely a Navy E-6 Hermes TACAMO plane out of Tinker AFB in OK.  Boing 707, all white, no windows, light gray insignias to prevent flash damage from nukes.  E-6B models are now equipped for Looking Glass operations (All nuke/military control) as well as the normal VLF comms with missle subs.

Fritz
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Like has been said, possibly a 707 or DC-8 based airframe.  While a number of DC-8's are still used as freighters, the 707 platform is used for a number of things such as JSTARS, Looking Glass and others.

The Looking Glass type operations are more a flying NORAD type command and control aircraft.  They used to be 707 based, but I thought the E-4B's took over that role.

The JSTARS is pretty cool...while an AWACS "picks up the air situation" the JSTARS "picks up the ground situation."

Normally those are painted with USAF on them or something. Could be something else or an aircraft being repainted and refitted.  The Area 51 worker transport type situation is a possibility.  At Area 51 specifically (Nellis) it's a 737 that does the flying, but there's no reason why the Govt. couldn't have a spare 707 around to use.

The Navy E-6 Hermes TACAMO is another idea as mentioned...those guys have been flying for 30 years.  Here's a pic...

[img]http://www.navy.mil/navpalib/aircraft/gifs/tacamo.gif[/img]

* E-4B site: [url]http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/e4b/[/url]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#29]
It's not called Herpes anymore, it's now called Mercury!!
They have only been flying the E-6B since 1989, before then they used EC-130G and EC-130Q Herks.

TACAMO = TAke Charge And Move Out

OLD TACAMO:
[url]http://www.vaq34.com/oldtacamo/[/url]

NEW TACAMO:
[url]http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/aircraft/air-e6a.html[/url]

Of course you could have seen some trash hauler 707.

I thought the Navy only flew from aircraft carriers......
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Since your in California it might be C.E.M.P.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#31]
[b]
Quoted:
Since your in California it might be C.E.M.P.

Alex
View Quote
[b]

Could be but they have been finding most of the gardens with the C.H.P and Sherrif's helicopter's.

Looked like that last pic that was posted.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#32]
C.E.M.P. has aquired new infrared technology that may be too large for any small aircraft or helicopters.
I know that this technology was space based but they may have been able to upgrade it to large aircraft.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:09:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

The fact is, That aircraft WAS a Navy C-9. Again, I have a very close friend, a Lt. Cmdr. in the Navy who flies those out of NAS Atlanta. They are commonly used as medivacs as well. I flew on one in 86 out of NAS Willowgrove Pa., red cross on the tail and all. Get your tin foil hat off ASAP, it's warping what is left of your mind.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#34]
CIA Plane.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The fact is, That aircraft WAS a Navy C-9.
View Quote

Well the guy was pretty adamant that it had four engines on the wings.
That would rule out a C-9 (DC-9 ,2 engines back on the fuselage near the tail)

So if it had four engines out on the wings  then it's a B707 , DC-8 , B747 , or Airbus340   or unlikely a C5 or C141
& doesn't the new C17 have four jets ??
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Looking Glass type operations are more a flying NORAD type command and control aircraft.  They used to be 707 based, but I thought the E-4B's took over that role.

* E-4B site: [url]http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/e4b/[/url]
View Quote

CooL, nice B747 airframe.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#37]
[b]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact is, That aircraft WAS a Navy C-9.
View Quote

Well the guy was pretty adamant that it had four engines on the wings.
That would rule out a C-9 (DC-9 ,2 engines back on the fuselage near the tail)

So if it had four engines out on the wings  then it's a B707 , DC-8 , B747 , or Airbus340   or unlikely a C5 or C141
& doesn't the new C17 have four jets ??
View Quote
[/b]

Definitely had four engines,two under each wing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Interesting thread here.  Everyone wondering what it is.  As a USN Pilot currently overseas I have seen a number of interesting Cargo planes roll through with some interesting call signs.  Depending on where the President was at the time, it could be one of his support platforms.  I have seen it parked at my base when the president is in a nearby country.  That is all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top