Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/22/2006 2:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 1:56:23 AM EDT by ARDOC]
Well a stroke of luck would have it the neighbor of my GFs mother croaked. The sisters that inherited the land are at war with each other. One wants to keep in the family and the other wants the money. Its 80 acres of mixed woods with a stream and some portions that are cleared. Its located near Ludington, MI. But its underpriced so I jumped on it.

Now the reality has hit me and ouch! Its scary! Another huge payment a month. I will post some PICs once I get up there.

UPDATE, here are some pics of the property. Its really nice. Nice fir trees, some oaks and hardwoods. A little pond and open fields. 5 separate deer blinds. Barn, septic and well.

Pic of pond

Pic of barn

Pic of one deer stand

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 2:50:55 PM EDT by RustedAce]
80 acres, good amount of shootin room.

Land is the best investment ever.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:52:09 PM EDT
Congrats! Trust me, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:53:05 PM EDT
Good deal! I'm sure you will like it alot come summer time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:54:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
Well a stroke of luck would have it the neighbor of my GFs mother croaked. The sisters that inherited the land are at war with each other. One wants to keep in the family and the other wants the money. Its 80 acres of mixed woods with a stream and some portions that are cleared. Its located near Ludington, MI. But its underpriced so I jumped on it.

Now the reality has hit me and ouch! Its scary! Another huge payment a month. I will post some PICs once I get up there.

now you just need a good russian woman to keep you company up there!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:55:32 PM EDT
Just remember, you never own real property. You only rent it from the government. If you don't believe me, see what happens when you don't pay your taxes.

Even so, it's a better use of your money than just about anyone else. If you build another house on it, can you deduct all of the interest?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:56:31 PM EDT
Well the son in law was telling me he got 2 bucks this year. He had planted some buckwheat on the land the deer were there all winter. He was in his blind and shot one. They scattered, so he got out of his blind and started to ride his 4 wheeler to the deer when another buck almost ran into him. So he shot that one too.

So it looks like good hunting land.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:04:21 PM EDT
It hurts now, but you did good. Land is almost never a bad idea.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:11:50 PM EDT
Alright! New ARFcom compound at ARDOC's new place!

Bring in the heavy's
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:13:07 PM EDT
Land is always a good investment!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:13:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RustedAce:

Yup they aren't making any more of it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:14:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gks452:

Thats what my late GFs father kept saying.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:31:38 PM EDT
Friends of mine have a cabin at Epworth in Ludington. Been there for like 100 years. My BIL designed a condo complex there. Ludington gets more new vacation and retiree traffic every year. I go there every Labor Day. The fishing on the lake and rivers is great during the salmon run.

Throw down!

Ludington is a great place to vacation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:48:55 PM EDT
interesting...you will enjoy your purchase...IM sent
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:56:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 3:56:49 PM EDT by Jack19]
Land is the one thing of which they're not making more. Unless you're in Hawaii and can wait.

I think 80 acres in the Ludington area sounds pretty darn good. As a former Michigander, I'd have been all over it too....if I still lived there.

Oh and...GO SPARTANS
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 3:58:20 PM EDT by mjohn3006]
I thought this was going to be about you buying some giant vagina machine or somthing.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:07:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jack19:
Land is the one thing of which they're not making more. Unless you're in Hawaii and can wait.

I think 80 acres in the Ludington area sounds pretty darn good. As a former Michigander, I'd have been all over it too....if I still lived there.

Oh and...GO SPARTANS

Boo!

Ludington is a very nice little town. It goes crazy when the Macker is there. The water in Lake Michigan is cold!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:45:04 PM EDT
Awesome bud, can't tell you how glad I am for you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:46:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:
Awesome bud, can't tell you how glad I am for you.

All I have to hope is that I dont run into any bears!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:46:51 PM EDT
That's a good investment!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:56:19 PM EDT

Can i be your new best friend ?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:35:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:

LOL sure, just get in line. One of my friends already is making plans to pick out a site for his tree stand.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:45:11 AM EDT
Well the appraisal just came in. $203k and I paid $180k!

I wasnt aware but there is septic and a well on the property already. Hopefully they will be in good shape and I can use them. There is a large barn with a stone bottom and wood for the rest of it. The rood is caving in some. There is also a cinder block garage, which the best way to describe it. But I dont think it salvagable.

And its 81.29 acres and not just 80.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:54:01 AM EDT
Sounds like a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:57:17 AM EDT
WOW, great for you!

If the SHTF I promise I will only take up a little room, you'll hardly know I am there...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:59:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
WOW, great for you!

If the SHTF I promise I will only take up a little room, you'll hardly know I am there...

You are more then welcome. The Pierre Marquette river is less then 200 ft from the back side of the property so there is nice fly fishing for trout and nice salmon runs. We just have to ignore the other people that live along the shore.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:00:54 AM EDT
How far are you from Lake Michigan?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:02:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:

LOL sure, just get in line. One of my friends already is making plans to pick out a site for his tree stand.

I'm in line too!!!

Seriously, it sounds like you made a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:02:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:04:44 AM EDT

Oh and...GO SPARTANS

Boo!

Ludington is a very nice little town. It goes crazy when the Macker is there. The water in Lake Michigan is cold!

That whole area is wonderful. I spent many summers riding the dirtbikes on the manistee and tincup springs trails up there. Also, the dunes at Silver Lake are awsome.

You did well! Now enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:05:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
How far are you from Lake Michigan?

About 30 minutes. Scottville is halfway to Lake Michigan. Lake Michigan is a COLD COLD fucker. It was in the middle of July and the water was freezing. The elwives, you know the little sardine type fish, were dead but wouldnt rot because of the cold.

There are tons of little lakes to go Jet Skiing and fishing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:09:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By topknot:

Oh and...GO SPARTANS

Boo!

That whole area is wonderful. I spent many summers riding the dirtbikes on the manistee and tincup springs trails up there. Also, the dunes at Silver Lake are awsome.

You did well! Now enjoy it.

Top we went to the dunes last year. It was a blast literally. One of the dudes had a HondaTRX450 and he went over the dune. He didnt realize there was no other side of the dune but a drop off. He separated from his quad and broke his ankle but not before he bashed his head agains the rear of the of the quad. Blood everywhere. But he is alive because the sand was actually soft.

We took our quads to the trails. And one of us ran out of gas. We didnt realize how long the trail was. We got the smallest quad and filled it with what gas we had left and he had to go get help. We sat there for hours while he went back to the truck and had to call for family to bring gas.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:20:21 AM EDT
Even Clean-cut would and Scott457 would have a good time there. Nearby School Section Lake has their annual Gay and Lesbian camp out week every summer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:26:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 7:27:26 AM EDT by drfcolt]

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend................or should it be "GF's late father" ........or is your GF knocked-up ...............

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:27:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drfcolt:

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend................or should it be "GF's late father" ........or is your GF knocked-up ...............

ya ya.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:32:51 AM EDT

Sounds exactly like my place. (except not near Lidington , MI)

You'll love it!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:56:57 AM EDT
Update with pics on page 1.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:45:47 AM EDT
It looks nice. Slightly scary but nice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:39:37 AM EDT
A good friend of mine has a nice cabin and 20 acres just south of you near Hesperia. He uses it to escape from the city on the weekends. I've gotten a couple deer off his place and while they haven't been the largest deer they have been some of the best tasting deer I've had. He usually throws a big party at his cabin Labor Day weekend, so if you are up in the area weekend and have nothing to do you are welcome to stop by.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:41:39 AM EDT

Update with pics on page 1.

When is our first annual Michigan "Hun Farm" type event ?

Just kidding, (sort of ) Congratulations on the land. It looks like it will be a great retreat for you and family.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:42:45 AM EDT
Time for a "Hun farm" type arfcom gathering
Top Top