Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2004 10:18:10 AM EDT
Curious to see who has tried a regular diet of quality .223 ammo for their basic black rifle. Im not talking about you guys with the $3,000 varminter rifles....Im talking about a plain jane, outta the box AR.

What kind of reliability issues has anyone experienced? jams? FTE? Accuracy?

Im thinking of scooping up a case of .223 (as opposed to 5.56) becuase I found some at a good price. Wondering what kind of issues if any I should expect.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Curious to see who has tried a regular diet of quality .223 ammo for their basic black rifle. Im not talking about you guys with the $3,000 varminter rifles....Im talking about a plain jane, outta the box AR.

What kind of reliability issues has anyone experienced? jams? FTE? Accuracy?

Im thinking of scooping up a case of .223 (as opposed to 5.56) becuase I found some at a good price. Wondering what kind of issues if any I should expect.

Thanks

what twist is your barrel? how heavy is the bullet you want to shoot?

my match gun shoots ONLY handloads.

My issue piece shoots anything under 60 grains.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an old surplus of Federal Gold Medal with the 69gr Sierra Matchking.
It performed reasonably well (1.25").  However, I was able to hit a .75" group two months ago with handloads (25gr Vita N140 with 69gr MK) using my 16" HB and my ACOG.  I was very pleased with that.   I loaded a couple hundred more as long-range zombie insurance.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#3]
All I shoot through my guns is BH 75gr (blue box) and XM193.

-z
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I reload a 77gr SMK load for my match rifle that I use a lot when I shoot my M4.  I figure that I only have to load 1 type of load for 2 rifles this way.  Plus it is cheaper than the XM193 or M855 for me anyway.  And yes, I have a 1 in 7 twist in both rifles. . .
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
My babies eat it all.

I will bump a mag of wolf, and 10 minutes later, shoot match bullets at 1/2" accuracy.

I love my bushies.

TXL
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#6]
My M4gery is 1:9 twist......and I have only been shooting 5.56 through it.
Accuracy isnt the ultimate purpose for that rifle...its more for defense...a 10inch group at 200 yards is fine for what I want it for. The reason I posted this was that I am thinking of building a .223 bolt gun..mostly for bench shooting. I'm not talking about a several thousand dollar custom accurized gun...just a solid .223 bolt gun that can shoot MOA all day long. Decent factory .223 ammo will get me what i am looking for...and i can get the .223 in bulk. Just wondering if I should keep buying 5.56 (you know...buy both)..or if i can switch my M4's diet to strictly the .223 stuff.

Right now I am thinking I will just buy both. A case of 1200 .223 in a bolt gun is going to last a long time....not like bump firing preloaded 30 round mags for an afternoon (underwater?)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top