Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2005 1:35:02 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a pair of shooting glasses.  I'm tired of using the $15 gun shop specials that fog up and seem to fall of my head at the worst times!  I've heard Oakley M Frames are very good.  Does anyone here use them?  If so what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a pair I use for shooting when it's really bright out (Black Irridium lenses) and cutting the grass etc.  The clarity of the lenses is absolutely phenominal, much more clear than my eye-glasses.  They also stay on your head like they were welded to your skull.  With the wide variety of lense shades and shapes plus the ability to get them with an rX Implant I don't see how you can go wrong.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
My baseball coach used them.......  In 1985.

Actually I got a pair and still wear them under my motorycle helmet.  They're the only pair I have that'll bend to fit in there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Used M-Frames for many years(back when they were Blades), now I find that the Half Jacket XLJ's are the heat!  They fit just right, and they offer great protection.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
yep
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend the half Jackets Golf pack.  it comes with 3 lenses that are supposed to be perfect for any golf conditions but they work just as well for shooting.  I love mine.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a set (NSN pack with like 3 lenses and case) issued to me.  They are great glasses, the only problem is 1) lenses scratch relatively easy 2) Unless you get them issued or can buy from the Gov Sales program they are way expensive.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
M frame folding, heater, polarized.
I cant think of anything bad to say about them except for the price. Wear them for two days and you will see its worth it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't see how anyone can call Oakleys expensive when a set of regular eyeglass frames (no lenses) cost over $300......
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I DO NOT leave my house w/o my M-frames.  The best sunglasses for the money.  Now that I have contact lenses I can even see clearly when I shoot, drive, oogle girls...  You get the idea...   I would like to get some clear lenses for low light stuff.

Mark.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
After all the comments I'm thinking I need to try a pair out.  What lenses do you all recommend for indoor light like at an indoor range?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an M-Frame shooting array and I love it.  There is a lens for every occasion in there.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an old lense that I use for 4-wheeling.  The M frames are the absolute best for keeping the wind/dust/bugs out of your eyes.  

I have an amber lense that I use for trap and skeet.  I also use it for hunting.  My dad swore that I was picking up game quicker over in Africa because of those glasses.

I love them, even if they did go out in the 90's.   Practicality trumps fashion.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine are rightly named 5.56FMJ they have a steel colored frame and black iridium lenses.
love them, great  for shooting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I have them and they are the ONLY sunglasses I wear or will ever. I can recommend them ABSOLUTLY
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there an online resource (or one of our resident dealers) that offer a good deal on the Oakleys?

My other glasses have finally worn out and I'm looking to make a switch.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Used (stole with his knowledge) my brother's M frames for a while, and found them to be great glasses.  Want a cheaper option?  Check into some Bolle Parole or Vigilante glasses on eBay.  I got frames, 4 lens colors, and a case for around $50 and they're great; decent side coverage and IIRC are also rated as protective lenses.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I have  owned a pair of M frames for about a year and a half now, I have the mirror tented lenses i use while driving, shooting; basically if the sun is shining they are on or on my head. I have a Brown lens for days when the sun is out and im shooting but its not directly in my face, and a pair of orange lenses for the cloudy rainy days. In that year and a half of owning them i may have left home 5 times w/o them at the most. I paid $280 for the frame, 3 lenses,cloth, and semi hard case(its a stiff plastic with a nylon outter shell and soft foam on the inside) i belive the web page is if the link is incorrect IM me and ill find the site on the business card i have.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Who uses Oakley M Frames ???

I have several pair of Oakley magnesium sunglasses. None of which I use for shooting. I perfer to use Zeiss scopes.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep. I use clear, and smoke lenses.  I just recycle my old oakleys. I'm sure in 10 more years I'll be using my half jackets.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Folding M Frames, Hybrid-S clear shields. They're also my lab glasses.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#21]
TOTAL COMPLETE CRAP.

I've had 2 pairs now fail rapidly.   The frames crack like SOBs.

The Warranty SUCKS.

I wore Oakley's before anyone heard of them, I even sold a ton - then they got famous, and went to shit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Love mine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top