Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 12:55:10 PM EDT
So I'm applying for a job (standard application like you'd fill out for McD's or Safeway; it's a big-chain photo studio). It says to put your former employers... okay, done that. Then it says to get the names of 3 professional references that you've known for at least a year.

Shit.

Okay, I have one (a lawyer and family friend I've done some work, paid and non-paid, for), but who to use for the rest? I can't use my old boss, because I was only there three months. I doubt I can use any of my teachers or advisors, because I didn't ask them for a reference and I want to get this application in today. Using any family member would look bad.

Do I just call up my friends and ask them if they'd pose as professional references for me or something?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Use Arfcom guys as references.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Use your prior supervisors and collegues...but only if they still like you and will say good things about you.

Dont use friends. That isnt as credible as an old supervisor.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah, that is what I do, you know any doctors, nurses, EMTs, or cops????
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
just be honest, tell them that your prior position was temporary and that you are young and dont have professional referances. They will understand.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Use Arfcom guys as references.

I can see it now.

"So, Mr... uh, ILikesMeSomeRifles, you were listed as a reference for [my name here], and we're calling to investigate that."

"Who? Oh, shit, yeah, him. Yeah, sure, he's a good guy, whatever."

"And how do you know him?"

"..."

"Sir?"

"Can I get back to you on that? Oh, wait, I thought of something! Yeah, he goes to my, uh, church, yeah!"

"*click*"

Quoted:
Use your prior supervisors and collegues...but only if they still like you and will say good things about you.

Dont use friends. That isnt as credible as an old supervisor.

What supervisors and colleagues? I'm a high-school student, and I've only held one job, and that was for three months, disqualifying it by the "one year" requirement.

Quoted:
yeah, that is what I do, you know any doctors, nurses, EMTs, or cops????

Not personally, except for family.

Quoted:
just be honest, tell them that your prior position was temporary and that you are young and dont have professional referances. They will understand.

I guess I could try that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
You could use your teachers...I guess they were your supervisors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top