Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 8:32:14 AM EDT
.. These are available ?

I cook them several times a week while they are in store :) !

Is it something commonly found in the USA or absolutely not ? 10min in the oven with some water to steam them a little.... Mmmmmm

Ps: don't forget to put a little cut in them before or they will kaboom like a glock
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Jeff's nuts roasting on an open fire,  Jack Frost nipping at your balls!!

Nope, never had 'em.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I trip over thousands of those daily while working...never picked one up, but the squirrels are very zealous about protecting them!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I trip over thousands of those daily while working...never picked one up, but the squirrels are very zealous about protecting them!
View Quote

You really should try them !
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been eating chestnuts all my life and love them.

My grandmother always cooked them when in season.  

I roast them on top of the stove in a pie pan...... never in the oven with water.  You want to get a little color on them and toast them.

Can't count the number of times we sat around eating them with a good wine...... I miss my grandfathers wine.

Never cut them and hardly ever had any blow.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I love em but can't seem to find good ones way out here in the desert.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I roast them on top of the stove in a pie pan...... never in the oven with water.  You want to get a little color on them and toast them.

Can't count the number of times we sat around eating them with a good wine...... I miss my grandfathers wine.

View Quote

Of course, yours is the best way if you can. But most people don't have a stove, that's the best alternative way. The water is to be put in the oven, but not in contact with the chestnuts. It's just that the steam produced helps not drying'em  out while cooking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jeff's nuts roasting on an open fire,  Jack Frost nipping at your balls!!

Nope, never had 'em.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#8]
There was this chess tournament in town recently.  They were gathered at a local 5 star hotel, in the lobby.  They were all bragging about their prowess on the table, each one recalling their most famous moves.  The manager got up and exclaimed "I'm tired of chess nuts boasting in an open foyer".        

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was this chess tournament in town recently.  They were gathered at a local 5 star hotel, in the lobby.  They were all bragging about their prowess on the table, each one recalling their most famous moves.  The manager got up and exclaimed "I'm tired of chess nuts boasting in an open foyer".          
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Never had em.   Chestnuts arent exactly common around here....

But i do love roasted pecans!!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Never had em.   Chestnuts arent exactly common around here....

But i do love roasted pecans!!!!
View Quote

Try em ! You won't regret it
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Of course, yours is the best way if you can. But most people don't have a stove, that's the best alternative way. The water is to be put in the oven, but not in contact with the chestnuts. It's just that the steam produced helps not drying'em  out while cooking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, stoves aren't common in Switzerland?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Had them last year, my first time.    Not bad, not great.   Maybe just because of never doing it before.  

We cooked them on a grill.  They never came out like on your pic.  Ours took some work after they popped.  Mostly got little pieces.   tried not to over heat.

Maybe we will try again.   Good reason to drink in a machine shed in winter trying new cooking  stuff.  Plenty of ventilation going through machine shed.  

Not going to die due to gassing.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]
standard NYC street food Christmas time
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#15]
As far as I knew, growing up in Iowa, they are not indigenous to that state.  Nor, have I ever seen any in Colorado.

I honestly believe your pics are the first time I've ever seen chestnuts.

Gotta get out more, I guess.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe I didnt understand the word stove.. is a stove only going with wood, or it can be electric or propane ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As far as I knew, growing up in Iowa, they are not indigenous to that state.  Nor, have I ever seen any in Colorado.

View Quote

strange. trees only grows above a certain altitude. I would have guessed colorado lowlands being perfect for that. but maybe they are not indigenous in the USA, I dont know
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

maybe I didnt understand the word stove.. is a stove only going with wood, or it can be electric or propane ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas,electric and wood

And thanks for the reminder, I need to go out and get some and cook them up
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

strange. trees only grows above a certain altitude. I would have guessed colorado lowlands being perfect for that. but maybe they are not indigenous in the USA, I dont know
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A century ago a blight virtually wiped out the eastern US's entire population of chestnuts. Now the only thing growing are European/Asian/American hybrids, and a few select American trees that appear to be resistant to the blight.

Restoring these populations is a big business. We're planting some hybrids on our place this winter. But, in short, yes, chestnuts are rare in the eastern US now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Is that some of the new swiss cuisine I'll get to eat when I move over yonder?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If only we had the ultimate resource for information at our fingertips.

American Chestnut is as  American as pie.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, I've had them. Yes, they are good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I love 'em raw.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, very good!  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen them at over 1,000ft and around sea level.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Chestnuts are an Italian thing.  Put a cut in the shell and steam them in a covered cast iron skillet with a cup of water on high heat till the skin starts to curl and the water evaporates.  Then roast them in the dry skillet till you get a scorch mark on each side.  A unique flavor and texture.  Try Italian Import stores and High End Grocers during December.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Chestnuts are an Italian thing.  Put a cut in the shell and steam them in a covered cast iron skillet with a cup of water on high heat till the skin starts to curl and the water evaporates.  Then roast them in the dry skillet till you get a scorch mark on each side.  A unique flavor and texture.  Try Italian Import stores and High End Grocers during December.
View Quote

Greece too.  It seems like there's a street vendor on every street in Athens roasting them on his pushcart.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Ha, I'm glad my father will be able to have them in the USA when he retires
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top