Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/14/2006 6:19:50 PM EDT
My wife went to see Brokeback Mountain today, and totally proved me wrong, because I predict that the theatre woudl be totally empty, especially for a matinee, and in Tennessee!  

She said it was 95% full, and her and her friend had trouble finding seats.  Wow - who'd have thunk there was so much interest in gay cowboys in TN ?  

She also told me that she noticed a couple (man and woman) with a small child (about six) mostly because the kid was loud, and wondered why anyone would bring a small child to such a movie.  When it came to the sex scenes, the couple got up and left with their two kids, looking to be six and ten.  

WTF, over ??   Is it possible that these people didn't KNOW what the movie was about, and thought it might be some manly cowboy flick for their kids to see???  

That's just weird, whatever the explanation is.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Embrace diversity!!!

Starting them young?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Embrace diversity!!!

Starting them young?

In an effort to emrbace diversity, I wish to embrace you.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe the kids are homosexual.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Embrace diversity!!!

Starting them young?

But if it was a deliberate thing, you'd think they would have stayed.  

Btw - wifey said that you don't SEE anything naughty during the sex scenes, but adults would obviously clearly know what was going on.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Dad and dad.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Maybe the kids are homosexual.

Maybe they are now!!!  

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Embrace diversity!!!

Starting them young?

Btw - wifey said that you don't SEE anything naughty during the sex scenes, but adults would obviously clearly know what was going on.

Yeah. I think the part where Heath Ledger screams "Oh, God! MY ASS! GAAAAaaaaAAAAGGGHH!! you're tearing my asshole!!!"gives it away.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet the theater was filled with a large majority of women.

Edit:  Were they eating pudding?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#9]
i have no idea why anyone would go see "backdoor mountin"

i'm guessing that they heard it was a good movie from all the hype.  probably thought it was a cowboy movie.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Embrace diversity!!!

Starting them young?

Yeah. I think the part where Heath Ledger screams "Oh, God! MY ASS! GAAAAaaaaAAAAGGGHH!! you're tearing my asshole!!!"gives it away.

She didn't mention that part!  

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Who the fuck goes to see a movie about faggots anyway?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
prolly wifey wanted to see heath and jake, but didnt realize what it was really about
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Gives a whole new meaning to the saying "Take it like a man".  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#14]
RIDE 'EM COWBOY!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Now they have put money towatds it being "sucessful"
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Embrace diversity!!!

Starting them young?

To quote NAMBLA, get 'em by 8 before it's too late.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My wife went to see Brokeback Mountain today, and totally proved me wrong, because I predict that the theatre woudl be totally empty, especially for a matinee, and in Tennessee!  

She said it was 95% full, and her and her friend had trouble finding seats.  Wow - who'd have thunk there was so much interest in gay cowboys in TN ?  

She also told me that she noticed a couple (man and woman) with a small child (about six) mostly because the kid was loud, and wondered why anyone would bring a small child to such a movie.  When it came to the sex scenes, the couple got up and left with their two kids, looking to be six and ten.  

WTF, over ??   Is it possible that these people didn't KNOW what the movie was about, and thought it might be some manly cowboy flick for their kids to see???  

I have a Canadian friend (although that might explain it all) who was in "the city" and to kill time before driving back home (waiting for rush hour to end)   took her son and daughter to see it.  
She left after 20min.  She thought by the poster at the theather that she was going to see a cowboy movie.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#18]
aaaaahhhhhhh......humpback mountain......now thats family entertainment.........NOT!!!!!........
ALL FAGS SHOULD BE KILLED AT BIRTH!!!!!!!!!..........ok..ok.....I've calmed down now......
Frikkin Pillow Biters.........

GhostCat
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Damn straight!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Who the hell brings little children to see Brokeback Mountain??

Libtards
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Too much of a hassle to hire a babysitter?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#22]
They were not the kids parents, they were part of the NAMBLA recruiting effort....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd bet alot of people didn't know what it was about. I seen one of the previews for it tonight, and there wasn't anything about it that would make you think the movie is what it is.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it all comes down to the misleading advertisement about the movie.  

Here are the posters they're distributing and putting in newspapers now:

Or, absurdly, this one:

Don't forget this one, for the ladies:

And they're STILL doing it:

I don't think there's anything wrong with making a movie about romance and "drama" associated with a couple of folks having an extramarital affair that happens to be between a couple of gay folks.   Its a story, and good for them.

But there's a concerted effort to make this movie into some sort of "social statement" or referrendum on gay issues, and to play up the film's numbers they are being VERY dishonest.   Its not surprising that a lot of folks aren't realizing what they're going to watch if they see these ads.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn straight!

I would feel uncomfortable being in a dark room full of backdoor banging colon commando reacharound type cowboys.

With kids? WTF were these people thinking?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There are no sex scenes (plural).  There is only one scene...it's less than a minute and occurs very early in the film.  If you're hetero, you'll have a difficult time watching the 'scene'.  I sure did but the rest of the film is good.  Ironically, the only nudity in the film comes from Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway (who has a very nice rack).  

If you're a fan of Ang Lee (Ride with the Devil and The Hulk), you won't be disappointed.

DK-Prof, I know what you mean about taking children into R-rated movies.  At Christmas, we went and saw Munich and there were entire families there with young-ins in tow.  Between Brokeback and Munich, guess which one has more sex and violence?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My wife went to see Brokeback Mountain today

WTF? Why?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#28]
You went to that movie that is even gayer than your avatar??
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My wife went to see Brokeback Mountain today...

who'd have thunk there was so much interest in gay cowboys in TN ?

Who'd have thunk there was so much interest in gay cowboys in the DK-Prof household?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Embrace diversity!!!

Starting them young?

Dude, you about made me fall outta my chair.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+1

Keep that crap out of theaters.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#32]
People who raise faggots.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#33]
why oh why did I click this thread
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn straight!

I would feel uncomfortable being in a dark room full of backdoor banging colon commando reacharound type cowboys.

With kids? WTF were these people thinking?

I wouldn't take kids to see any movie in which sex was a substantial thematic element. I imagine that Brokeback Mtn would put anybody under 16 to sleep in about 9 minutes. I mean, it's a romance/tragedy, right?

I wouldn't worry about being in a theater full of gay guys. There are probably not significantly more of them at a screening of Brokeback Mtn than at TLOTR. In any event, I have heard that some homosexuals sometimes do things besides drool over straight guys.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#35]
WHY WOULD ANYONE GO IN THE FIRST PLACE???????
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Fudgepack Mountain is rated "R".

Anyone who brings any six-year old to an "R"-rated movie is an utterly irresponsible parent.

Anyone who brings any six-year old to a GAYFUCK movie should be sterilized and repeatedly beat across the head with a 2x4.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Anyone who brings any six-year old to an "R"-rated movie is an utterly irresponsible parent.

I agree 100%

Probably self centered idiots that wanted to see the movie, but didn't bother to make arrangements,  and pay for a babysitter.

OR

The sort of self righteous parents who would NEVER leave their child with anybody else...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You went to that movie that is even gayer than your avatar??

Other than the good burn , you apparently didn't read the post.  

My WIFE went to see the movie, not me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Embrace diversity!!!

Starting them young?

To quote NAMBLA, get 'em by 8 before it's too late.

Get 'em before the hair does
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, right.  Your [cough, cough]... wife... went to see it.

Seriously, what did you think of it?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/images/12_8/brokeback5.jpg

www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/images/12_8/brokeback3.jpg

Or, absurdly, this one:

www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/images/12_8/brokeback.jpg

www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/images/Dec29/brokeback.jpg

www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/images/Dec29/walktheline2.jpg

I don't think there's anything wrong with making a movie about romance and "drama" associated with a couple of folks having an extramarital affair that happens to be between a couple of gay folks.   Its a story, and good for them.

But there's a concerted effort to make this movie into some sort of "social statement" or referrendum on gay issues, and to play up the film's numbers they are being VERY dishonest.   Its not surprising that a lot of folks aren't realizing what they're going to watch if they see these ads.

I'm going to quote someone who spoke on this topic very well...

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Miss Magnum:

Here's the newest "ad" for Brokeback Mountain.

What do you think?

oscarbeat.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/brokeback_ad.jpg

I saw a trailer on TV today and it gave no indication at all that the film was based on gay men...

Exactly. Because it isn't doing very well. So, what's the new plan.

Get people to go via deception.

Now, if you're really dumb enough to go to a movie without knowing something about it, then I guess you get what you deserve.

But why don't they let you know that it has overtly homosexual themes? Because, of course, it isn't really about homosexuality. It's just "a love story"...that "anyone can relate to".

The question in my mind is why aren't they talking the opposite marketing approach?

"The most controversial movie of the year."

"Shocking."

"Disturbing."

Because, of course, they don't want you to think of it that way--even if you would feel that way if you went and saw the show. And, again, it all comes down to the same thing....

If you do feel this way, then something is wrong with you. You have a disorder, a homo "phobia".

And the homosexual agenda marches (or skips ) forward.

Actually for a limited run it's doing pretty well. I think when it comes out in video it will do even better.

What do you have to say about the developers "re-packaging" the film in order to "lure" in "Straight" people?

- Seems like they're doing the best they can to feed us this propogandist bullshit (In order to preach the homosexual "agenda")!

I'd be ok with homosexual rights (groups, activists, and whatever else) if they'd only stop trying to target and convert young teens and children!

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this, but just out of curiousity, what in particular is wrong with gay romance, or even a movie about gay romance?  I don't exactly understand the comments I'm reading...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask this, but just out of curiousity, what in particular is wrong with gay romance, or even a movie about gay romance?  I don't exactly understand the comments I'm reading...

Umm... it's gay.

So what's wrong with polygamy, adultery, pedophilia, necrophilia, xenophilia or scatophilia either? Thing is, there's not a national and worldwide movement to normalize polygamy, adultery, pedophilia, necrophilia, xenophilia or scatophilia like there is to normalize homosexuality.

Yet.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

What did your wife think of the movie after seeing it?  Why not go with her?       ( I have not seen it. )
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/images/12_8/brokeback5.jpg

www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/images/12_8/brokeback3.jpg

Or, absurdly, this one:

www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/images/12_8/brokeback.jpg

www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/images/Dec29/brokeback.jpg

www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/images/Dec29/walktheline2.jpg

I'm going to quote someone who spoke on this topic very well...

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Miss Magnum:

Here's the newest "ad" for Brokeback Mountain.

What do you think?

oscarbeat.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/brokeback_ad.jpg

I saw a trailer on TV today and it gave no indication at all that the film was based on gay men...

Exactly. Because it isn't doing very well. So, what's the new plan.

Get people to go via deception.

Now, if you're really dumb enough to go to a movie without knowing something about it, then I guess you get what you deserve.

But why don't they let you know that it has overtly homosexual themes? Because, of course, it isn't really about homosexuality. It's just "a love story"...that "anyone can relate to".

The question in my mind is why aren't they talking the opposite marketing approach?

"The most controversial movie of the year."

"Shocking."

"Disturbing."

Because, of course, they don't want you to think of it that way--even if you would feel that way if you went and saw the show. And, again, it all comes down to the same thing....

If you do feel this way, then something is wrong with you. You have a disorder, a homo "phobia".

And the homosexual agenda marches (or skips ) forward.

Actually for a limited run it's doing pretty well. I think when it comes out in video it will do even better.

What do you have to say about the developers "re-packaging" the film in order to "lure" in "Straight" people?

- Seems like they're doing the best they can to feed us this propogandist bullshit (In order to preach the homosexual "agenda")!

And of course you didn't answer my question either....so I'll ask again. How have they repackaged the movie? and how is it "propogandist bullshit (In order to preach the homosexual "agenda")!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
So what's wrong with polygamy, adultery, pedophilia, necrophilia, xenophilia or scatophilia either? Thing is, there's not a national and worldwide movement to normalize polygamy, adultery, pedophilia, necrophilia, xenophilia or scatophilia like there is to normalize homosexuality.

This is a good point.  It didn't occur to me that its rather unusual to accept M/M marriage without also accepting any arbitrary arrangement of an infinite number of males and females.  However, I suspect that people inclined to support (or at least, not oppose) gay marriage also support pretty much any consentual marriage arrangement.

Still, I suspect that even if there wasn't a movement to allow legal gay marriage, you'd still get all of these people on ar15com posting "fags are gay and they suck."  I can't exactly figure out why this is.  Do they know something I don't?  Come to think of it, I can't figure out why people don't like jews either.  Related?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Still, I suspect that even if there wasn't a movement to allow legal gay marriage, you'd still get all of these people on ar15com posting "fags are gay and they suck."  I can't exactly figure out why this is.  Do they know something I don't?  Come to think of it, I can't figure out why people don't like jews either.  Related?

Scroll up on this thread and see how often the word 'fag' gets used by some of our more charming members.  Would you want to understand someone who posts other derogatory comments like n*gger, ch*nk or k*ke?  Sad, isn't it?
It's beyond me that there's so much gay-bashing going on here and the site staff allows it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Why did your wife go to see it?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who the hell brings little children to see Brokeback Mountain??

Libtards

Obviously you've never heard stories about the poster's wife.  Apparently she makes Geraldine Ferraro look like a conservative.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Why did your wife go to see it?

She had read some good reviews of it, and was curious - figuring that it was a romance movie that she might like.  The whole "gay romance" aspect of it that has everyone so worked up didn't really a big difference to her, I think. (She's had a lot of gay relatives and friends over the years, so gay doesn't seem unusual or weird to her).  

She actually claimed that - if you look away from the fact that it's a same-sex couple - the movie is actually really good.  Good writing, lots of "suspense" and "tension" - she thought it was a really good film.  Of course I don't really understand how there can be suspense and tension if there aren't aliens or huge explosions involved, but I guess she liked it.  

Like I said in the first post, I was also VERY surprised to hear that the theater was FULL - especially for a matinee show.  I guess more people are curious to see this movie than I though - I told her to not bother going early, because she and her friend were likely to be the only people in the entire theater.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top