Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2001 4:23:25 PM EDT
Oh, sorry!  They like to be called the "Unified Front"!  Have you guys looked into that?

DaMan
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Next years replacement for the Taliban, Saddam, fill in the blank space?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
A loose confederation of tribes from the Northern part of the Afghan allied, for now, against their common enemy the Taliban.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
If you read the bios of these guys from the main stream media, these guys sound like Saints!  

But just do a little research and you'll see rats who are ready to go at each others throats at the earliest opportunity!

What ever happened to the 86 year old monarch the US wanted to install?  Guess he's out of the equation!

DaMan

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you read the bios of these guys from the main stream media, these guys sound like Saints!  
View Quote

No, actually the mainstream media is CONSTANTLY saying how the Northern Alliance is bloodthirsty and is executing prisoners.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, actually the mainstream media is CONSTANTLY saying how the Northern Alliance is bloodthirsty and is executing prisoners.
View Quote

OH?!!!  Gee, Rik, my marxist quoting homophile friend, any examples where the lamestream media has exposed the truth about the backgrounds and connections of the NA thugs?

I haven't seen that! [:P]

DaMan  
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
OH?!!!  Gee, Rik, my marxist quoting homophile friend, any examples where the lamestream media has exposed the truth about the backgrounds and connections of the NA thugs?
I haven't seen that! [:P]
View Quote

That's because it's hard to see anything with your head up your ass.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have seen some news articles/stories that have questioned if the Afghan people will be better off under the Northern Alliance or if it will be the same. Mostly around the time Kabul fell. I think the majority of even our media see that there will be some improvement with the NA over the Taliban, not that this would be difficult mind you.

The 86 year old monarch had returned to Afghanistan to help setup a new government, last I heard.....
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The 86 year old monarch had returned to Afghanistan to help setup a new government, last I heard.....
View Quote

There were some demonstrations for the "old guy"in Herat.  Ismail Khan (major NA player) shut these down with considerable force...and pronto!

The NA aren't going to allow the old guy back!

DaMan
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rik, who pooped in YOUR mess kit?  If you don't agree with what I say, can't you at least debate civilly? [:P]

DaMan

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Rik, who pooped in YOUR mess kit?  If you don't agree with what I say, can't you at least debate civilly? [:P]

DaMan

View Quote

He has a good point though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, is "my marxist quoting homophile friend" supposed to be your idea of civil?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Oops! The ex-monarch is still in Rome. It was the ex-president of Afghanistan that returned. Sorry....
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
The Northern Alliance at least understand the rights of people much more than the Talibans(Pakis) - The media makes them look bad as usual because our media has a habit of supporting who they think they like or what they think it's right - Mostly being Liberal Dipsticks!  I wish Massood was alive.  He would have been a good leader who always wanted our support but we did not give him another look -In short, the NA had to look for support elsewhere and lose a lot of control to Taliban who were supplied and financed by the PAKIs.  In the interviews, Massood had said he believed in Womens rights and these Talibans were raping Afghanistan.  What the media does not understand is that when the NA forks and many other groups who were in charge after kicking the Russians out, these guys were pressured into doing a lots of things because of the these fundamentalists who threatened them into breaking away which they did anyway!  Then you saw the Talis take over and kill people even more and openly and the mdeia watched and could not do or say anything.  Now, its payback time, and thats why the NA wants revenge and the Pakis are sh*&ing in their pants because they know what is coming.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh, is "my marxist quoting homophile friend" supposed to be your idea of civil?
View Quote

Well, you have a marxist signature quotation, you DO like gays in the military, and you ARE my friend....aren't you, Rik??!!! What did I say that offended you??!!! [:P]

Actually, I think we agree on this subject.  I'd like to see the NA and the Taliban/al Queda grind one another into the dirt. But it's not going to happen. The country will be divided up into various spheres of influence.    

DaMan
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Oops! The ex-monarch is still in Rome. It was the ex-president of Afghanistan that returned. Sorry....
View Quote

I think the "old man" is in a wheel chair chasing around Italian nurses! [:P]

Burhanuddin Rabbani the Tajik is who you are thinking of.

DaMan
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#18]
That would be him (Burhanuddin Rabbani the Tajik, that is). Saw an article the other day about him returning, must have misunderstood it...

If the old man's chasing nurses around, the NA may not have to worry too much about him coming back. Compared to the kind of mess he'd run into in Afghanistan, chasing nurses would have to sound like your own personal slice of heaven....
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#19]
The Northern Alliance (as well as the Taliban) are recognized by the U.S. Dept of State as international opium and heroin traffickers. Now that the NA will be controlling all of the poppy fields, product will flow even more freely to the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#20]
The Taliban came into existence after the Northern Alliance began to kill everyone in sight including each other.  I guess the good folks of the Afghan figured maybe it was better to have a beard and miss movies rather than die.

The Taliban provided some stability excepting the very Northern part of the country.

Today, right now the Northern Alliance are splendidly wonderful people as it is them dying and not our people.

Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#21]
DaMan, you were correct.  The former King was in-country at least for a while.
I still would not count out the old king.  He may be the only person acceptable to all factions.
All will figure he lives another three or four years and allow time for each faction to form alliances and do the base-building that will be necessary for longer term rule.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I hope we don't get into another situation where we are providing "peacekeepers" (aka. "meals on wheels") for the next twenty years! But, I keep getting that BOHICA feeling.

The NA are a bunch of vipers that will bite our hand at the first opportunity.

Even before the Taliban has been fully defeated, there are signs of bickering between the various factions making up the NA.

Iran, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan are all pushing for their favorite "stooges" in the NA.  Then we've got Pakistan pushing for their Pashtun "stooges" as well! What a friggin' mess!

The NA may be the "lesser of two evils" at the moment (when compared to the Taliban), but that may soon change.

Although James Dobbins, the US envoy to the NA, will push for old King Mohammad Zahir Shah in Bonn, the NA will likely tell Mr. Dobbins to "pound salt up his rectum".

I may be wrong.  It'll all depend how well the NA does in Kunduz and how cocky they feel at the moment.

DaMan

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Northern Alliance (as well as the Taliban) are recognized by the U.S. Dept of State as international opium and heroin traffickers. Now that the NA will be controlling all of the poppy fields, product will flow even more freely to the rest of the world.
View Quote

Ya mean we missed all those poppies on PURPOSE??
[:0]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ya mean we missed all those poppies on PURPOSE??
[:0]
View Quote

If we meant to take out the heroin that is smuggled into the US, we'd take out the poppies in Colombia!  That's where most of the heroin that comes into the US is from.

DaMan

PS - Not that I'm suggesting the US bomb the sheet out of the Colombian drug kingpins as our next strike against the "terrorists"!  [:P]

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't understand why we wouldn't take out any source of heroin no matter where it's bound.
I mean, as long as we're bombing the shit out of the place...
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#27]
i heard they are actually the university ROTC guys disguised with beards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top