Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2001 4:38:53 PM EDT
I've been using 27 grs. of Varget w/40 grn Nosler blitz kings, and also 23 grs. Re7 with these bullets, and 27 grs of Varget with Hornady V-max's and get just over 1/4 in groups with both with my Armalite M15A4.  Out to 300, this gun outshoots my A-Bolt Equlipse .22-250 varmint rig.  That is saying a lot, because it is a very accurate rifle.  Can't wait to get the new Armie out to S.D. this fall!  
I'm sure a lot of you guys reload, what do you have the best luck with?

note:  I use a single stage Rock Chucker, and RCBS dies.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to ask the same question on the reloading or competition boards.

27gr of Varget.....little warm in here, ain't it?[:D]

Lew
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
40grn Nosler BT w/28.0 grs of 748.  With my 700VS (currently a 9lb lawyer is housed in my trigger) I can shoot less than 1/2" at 100 yards.  I'm going to lighten up the trigger and hopefully that will shrink the groups down somewhat.  Haven't gone past 150yards yet.  

The main problem I have with the 40grn bullets is the fact that wind plays havoc with them.

note: Federal Premium nickel brass is [b]AWESOME!![/b]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using used mil., and pretty much whatever brass I can get my hands on.  Think my groups will tighten if i use Fed. brass?  Nickle plating makes them shiny, that is all.  I sometimes use nickle for when I load expencive hunting bullets for my big game stuff.  Good way to keep them seperated from the shootemup stuff.

I started liking 40 gr. bullets when I was getting hits out to 800 in S.D. last summer.  Wind fxcks with them, true, but if no or little wind, they shoot flat------------->
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The Fed Prem Brass is MUCH easier to work with than the surplus stuff.  The nickel is good for loading, sealing, & forgetting as it helps prevent corrosion.  You might want to try the Fed and see it tightens up your groups any.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I asked someone at Precision Arms (a high dollar sniper rifle store) if they had any nickel plated brass for sale, and I was told something to the effect that "people who know, don't use nickel plated brass because of inconsistent neck tension".  This bummed me out, cuz I had just meticulously loaded 200 rounds into Federal nickel plated brass for my PSS.  I like nickel plated brass because I don't like gungy looking brass and tumbling is such a time consuming chore.  Rounds may sit in an ammo can for a long time before I get around to shooting them.  I'm currently shooting the stuff that was loaded about ten years ago.  I don't want to have to worry about corrosion too much (and yes, I do pack my cans with desicant).
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The good thing about nickel plated brass is that it cleans up easier. The down side is that it tends to split so most reloaders use brass as it lasts longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top