Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 8:42:55 AM EDT
Can recommend a good review book for it?  I have to take it in April and I wanna get started studying for it now, while I have some time.    I know there have been recent changes to the exam so I'd prefer someone who took it within the last few years and found a book useful and relevant.  

I've been around B&N, Borders, and Walden Books, but they almost NEVER seem to have anything on the shelves to look at, especially in Civil Engineering.  

Oh, and do you guys recommend taking the PM part as general again or the specific Civil one?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Come on you engineers, its okay to be a nerd, don't be shy lol
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I passed my first time and used one of the books that had the sample exam on CD. I was the only person in the past 10-15 years of our engineering university to pass the exam on the first try.

My biggest complaint was waiting for the 100+ other lame brains to quickly finish up. I started at 0700? and finished at 1700 only because we had to WAIT the entire time even if you got done early.

I'm itching to take the PE exam but need my 4 years first. I forgot the name of the book...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I took the FE in my last full semester. Didn't need any help but I did see the sparkies sweating strength of materials and the civies sweating the electronics.  Nearly everyone was stumbling through chemistry questions.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, passed the F.E.  

I just used my text books in preparing for the exam.

357mag
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
ppi2pass.com/ppi/PPIHome_entDs_FE

It lists several review manuals, but when I took, just used my textbooks to study.
Good Luck - I took it the last semester in School and passed first time.  I am sure it has changed quite a bit since then.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Im in last year or so of ME so I wont have to take it, but good luck to you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I must be OLD.  The FE exam I took was for Flight Engineers........  they don't even use those anymore.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I took a review class for the EIT while in school. They gave some review material to cover everything. It really helped out alot. My advice would be to take a class that covers the general stuff. The Civil Handbook is also helpful after the exam.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]
ppi2pass is the way to go.  I did a few things to pass:

(1)  I signed up for their passing zone where I could take this online review course ($95, back in 2002) and could ask any question no mater how stupid.  They also set a good schedule to follow so that I can prepare for the test.  The instructors that are monitoring/answering the questions will also post some "typical" problems that you can try to answer.
(2)  Get the book (yellow/blue) put out by PPI "Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam, 11th Edition
Michael R. Lindeburg, PE, 2001, 1396 pp., hardcover".  This is the key to passing the test!!!!  Take this book and try to do as many problems as possible in the book.  My personal observation is that the questions are harder than the actual test but at least it will get you prepared.
(3)  You can order the sample test book by NCEES but I can tell you that their questions are actually easier than what is on the test.

I can go on with more suggestions/tips but it would bore the crowd, so if you have more questions, you can email me at [email protected] and I will be more than happy to help you as best as I can.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys... yea I just took E-systems this summer because I didn't want to deal with the A-Hole teacher that I would get stuck with during the semester lol...  I guess I'll be sweating out that section :)

Thanks for the info/suggestions everyone, I'm gonna basically try and find something with a sample test and see how the questions are and study on my own from there.   I have a 3.4 GPA in Civil Eng. but I just have this fear of standardized tests haha.   But since this isn't like the SAT I think I'm going to do well if i prepare.

OH, something I noticed no one addressed....

Would you guys who took it recently recommend taking a completely general exam? or should I take the Civil section for the PM exam?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm still debating whether to take the FE/PE exams or not. I'm a nuke E so there's almost no use for one, just the prestige, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm still debating whether to take the FE/PE exams or not. I'm a nuke E so there's almost no use for one, just the prestige, AFAIK.

If you don't need it, sitting in a room for 8 hours doing engineering problems isn't my idea of a good day.

Oh and AFAIK they record how many times you fail it, therefore if you don't need it I see it as only being able to harm you.  (but then again if you don't need it i dont think anyone would check if you passed or failed)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#14]
For the record, I tagged this thread, hardly read it, and sent my better half a link.  She says:

Hey.  All the study stuff that was mentioned is the stuff that I have.  As
far as taking the afternoon civil stuff... the guy would probably be better
off taking the civil as opposed to general for the p.m., unless he wants to
deal with more diff-eqs and chemistry stuff.  there's also bio in the p.m.
general.  that's all from me.

I'm a ChE, I have no need for any of this crap.  Good luck to those of you who do.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I ended up taking the general for both sessions. I made up my mind right before the PM started. I thought the AM general portion was pretty easy. I didn't take it cause of my fear of questions concerning areas outside of the classes I took. My initial take of the test, weeks before, was take it and see how hard I needed to study next time (even though I took the review class). I ended up passing even with a slight hang over.

I had roomates that were ME and CHE. Both didn't want to take it cause of industrial umbrella not really requiring PE's, but for CE's it's the way of life. Now I think both of them regreat not taking it. Seems once you step out into the private sector, you really need the PE. Take it while it's fresh on your mind. If I had to take it today, I couldn't pass it. I've been told it's the hardest test in becoming an engineer. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I passed the ABOG OB/GYN exam.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Let me offer you a word of advice, what ever is the easier section.  Don't worry, when you get to the PE examine, you will have the opportunity to take plent of CE related questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top