Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2001 5:38:33 PM EDT
Who makes the most accurate custom Ruger 10/22?

I just purchased a Ruger from Clark Custom Guns and with any luck I will be able to pick it up at my local dealer end of next week. I purchased the rifle for offhand silhouette matches at the local club.

It just seems to me that someone must make them more accurate than 1 MOA with match grade ammo out to 50 meters in a windless tunnel.

I guess what I’m asking is, who has a real tack driver? And who builds the most accurate custom Ruger?

THISISME
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
My little brother has the Ruger with the bull barrel, and i have one that I put a Hogue .92 barrel on, bipod, stabilizer, recoil buffer, walnut freefloat stock, custom 2# trigger, and a decent scope.  Believe it if you want, but this is no exageration, we were outdoors, shooting the glass marbles out of the spraypaint cans we shot, at 120 yards.  We both did about the same, and I guess i would have to call that about 1/4 min., possibly less.  These marbles measured about 3/8 in in diameter.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Clarks is the most renowned. You might also check with Volquartsen(hope I spelled it right).
I can't remember if they do custom work, but they do make some outstanding aftermarket parts for the 10/22. My recommendation is to do it all your self.You can't ask for an easier rifle as far as accurizing. I've been out of the 10/22 game a while, but I used to get sub 1/2" groups with mine at 50 yds on a calm day, consistantly. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.Volquartsen.com/index2.htm[/url]

I can't say I have personal experience but whenever I feel like drooling over custom firearms I usually stop by this site.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 10/22 with Volquartsen 16" tensioned barrel and Volquartsen trigger. This set up was highly recommended to me by the owner of the gun shop I bought it from who also happens to have the very same set up. Boringly accurate and consistent. Ah...cheap pleasure.

Good Luck!

-jsr75
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
AMT used to but I believe they are no longer manufacturing their 10/22. My brother in MT I think got one of the last ones made. His longest shot on a MT gopher was 321yds. It took him like 32 shots. Longest 1 shot kill I believe was like 237. Using Win. Power Points. He has a Ruger blued target which he fire lapped. He said it made alot of difference. A good friend of his has a Clark built and also an AMT. The Ruger would outshoot the Clark after it was fire lapped in underground range. His friend was not real happy after spending almost twice as much for the Clark. His AMT has I believe a Lothar-Walther barrel, SS reciever and Jewel trigger(like 950.00 for barreled action plus stock and 6.5x20 Leu. Lottsa bucks. I have a standard Ruger SS target that shoots really well and had a descent trigger out of the box. You could contact AMT and see if they ever started production again. Brothers was ser.#500 and I believe he said that was about it. It is a beautiful piece of machinery!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies guys.

Sprayboy that’s some great shooting. And yes I believe you. I have had some great shooting experiences where I have made numerous seemingly unbelievable shots. I don’t mention them on the boards because no one would believe me if I told them.  

jsr75, I hope my Clark shoots something like your Volquartsen.

Sdwhirlwind, although I hope I will be happy with my current choice the accuracy you speak of with the AMT is very tempting; do you have a URL or a contact number?

I checked out the Volquartsen site.

They guaranty 3/8” at 50 yards and Clark only guarantees ½” at 50 yards.

Somehow I don’t think the extra ¼ MOA is going to make much difference on metallic silhouettes at 50/100/200 yards. If my range had benchrest small bore competitions it might be worth a thought.

At my range I have to shoot in three matches in order to get keys to the club and access to the pistol range the 500-yard range and the 1000-yard range.

I wanted to shoot my three matches in the high power rifle competitions but I am seriously at a disadvantage due to being disabled and all the matches are standing free hand or three position matches.

To make things lighter I have purchased a 13oz carbon-fiber barrel and a 1lb 10oz stock to lighten the Clark Custom 10/22. My scope and mount are only 12-13oz.

When everything arrives I will take the Clark rifle and one of my other Rugers to Accuracy Speaks and ask them to place the Clark barrel and stock on the stock Ruger action and do trigger job on it place the light weight stock and barrel on the Clark rifle and ask them to lighten the stock with a pattern of large and small wholes in the hopes of getting the total package down to about 4lbs.

With any luck they will both be accurate.

THISISME
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Chief A.J.. I met him at a Hernando Sportsmans
Club Gun Show in Brooksville, FL. a few years
ago. He went to the range for a couple of days
before the show and gave a shooting clinic and
demonstration. People that were there were
absolutly floored. Shooting clays with a .22
rifle was a specialty of his. His rifles take
a backseat for no one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
HANGFIRE, I am aware of Chief A.J. but I thought he stopped making customized 10/22 a year or two ago.

THISISME
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]
 Chief AJ rocks dude.
 Look on GunsAmerica,they have a section devoted specifically to his rifles.

Chuck
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
A stock 10/22 will outshoot mortals offhand.  So any of the customs will serve you well.  My eight year old can put a twentyfive rd. mag. in the bull with his stocker (folding stock, bipod, 3-9x scope). He can burn up ammo faster than I can buy it. Enjoy probably the finest 22 ever made.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
HANGFIRE, I am aware of Chief A.J. but I thought he stopped making customized 10/22 a year or two ago.
THISISME
View Quote

You may be correct. I have heard that from outhers. I think when Ruger started making the
bull barrel .22 he retired. I believe he created the concept. I would prefer a used A.J.
over anything else out there. He is a man that
can shoot as well as create and I like that
combination. It is to bad Ruger did not bring
him in on a deal because he made them a lot of
money. Corporate greed put a great man out of business in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#12]
300ydClean, Too my knowledge there has never been a Chief AJ posted for sale at GunsAmerica.
If you check there are none for sale now either. No one who has one would sell one and to my knowledge they are not made anymore.

HANGFIRE, Chief AJ is a legend. And I have not seen one of his custom 10/22’s sold in years; I have checked GunsAmerica almost weekly for quite some time and other boards. Clark says they created the concept of customizing the 10/22; all I can say is that when I was much younger I had heard people rave about Chief AJ’s and I had not heard of Clarks till about 10 years ago.

A year or two ago I saw an ad in Shotgun News that Chief AJ was accepting offers for his business. Since then I haven’t heard or seen any new about him.

THISISME

Link Posted: 4/12/2001 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#13]
 You are correct, I never clicked on the header before now. I merely saw it listed and assumed that someone had posted there. Sorry for any misunderstanding this may have caused.
 Mt shooting buddy forked over the cash for a Chief AJ 10-22 at a gunshow about 3(?) years ago, and it is an absolute hummer.
 He runs Eley(not sure which flavor)through it and it makes little bug holes all day.

Chuck
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
300ydClean, At this point a Chief AJ is a real tack driving treasure.

From what I understand Chief AJ’s rifles make as you say little bug holes all day at 100 yards with proper ammo on clear low to no wind days and that’s quite a bit better than the ¾ MOA too 1 MOA of the two current leading shops.

If a like new one where available I would fork over the dough in a second.

THISISME
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
 The fellow that he bought it from had a whole rack( read that as six or seven) of Chief AJ 10-22 rifles when my buddy bought his.
 At the time i wasn't interested in a 22 target rifle, and passed on them.
 What a dumbass move that was in hindsight! I haven't seen that guy for years at the shows, and my buddy will not even discuss the possibility of dealing on the one that he has.
 There is a fellow that was at one of the Lima Ohio shows who had one for sale about three months ago, and when I went back with cash in hand he told me that some fellow walked up and bought it without even haggling on the price.

Chuck
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#16]
If you want the best.

[url]http://chiefaj.com/[/url]

Chief AJ has slowed down some but not stopped. He works with Dean Rothermel and the White Barn Workshop. I know they sight their .22 rifles in at 100 yards (they use a 14x scope to test fire and can tell you which ammo works best in each rifle). They do custom work and they have Special Edition rifles. People that want their 10/22 to shoot through a life saver send it to Dean.  

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=178263&a=8324968&p=26950783[/img]

These were new for 2001. There were only ten made. I don't know if any are still available. They were originally priced at $650. I took the pictures and have more if anyone would like to see them. The close-up of the jeweled action is pretty sweet.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=178263&a=8324968&p=38319315[/img]

If you call you will most likely get an answering machine. Send AJ an email. Or you can email me and I will go over to the shop and tell Dean to turn on the phone. They do a lot of Ruger pistol work as well.

Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I am suprised no one has said this yet.

Why You can of course.
Between the Volquartsen and many other aftermarket parts available, you should have NO problem building your own Tack Driver.

Go to Midway's website and sort thru the hundreds of available parts.

The only special tool you'll need is an Allen wrench to R&R the barrel.
I don't think that there's any part of a 10/22 that isn't replacable by your average Homeowner with a set of Basic tools.

I have changed mine so many times that if I had a spare receiver I could build another or 2.
In an hour or less.

HTH, Del

Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:48:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I purchased a custom Volquartsen from them (did not provide any ruger receiver) for under $500.

This has the bull barrel, thumbhole stock, match trigger, bolt buffer. Best of all, they will guarantee .5 MOA at 50 yards.

I dealt with Scott and he was very helpful. Very good customer service.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Randy at CPC  check out [url]www.rimfirecentral.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Oslow, Thanks for the heads up. I will contact them and get the ball rolling next week.

THISISME
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I really like the Fajen stocks, but ended up buying a standard, blue Ruger 10/22T and regularly get groups at 100 yards that I can cover with a dime (PMC Zapper ammo and a Bushnell Sportview 3x9x40mm scope).  It's a keeper, but so damn accurate, that it gets boring to shoot after a while!
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#22]
This gun doesn't make sense to me.
Why spend all the money on fancy stock, special barrel, trigger, etc. and then wind up with a .22 that cost you $500 or more and is modestly accurate with a weird and awkward magazine??

Asbestos Suit on......

[red] P.R.K.

Link Posted: 4/14/2001 2:33:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone that can shoot clays with a .22 can bad-mouth all they want. Everyone else can shut up.
I'll be shutting up now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2001 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Prk, when I was younger I couldn’t see spending that kind of money on a .22 either.

Then again, there was a time that I couldn’t see the need for scopes that cost two to five times the cost of the rifle I’m shooting either.
After owning lots and lots of firearms that are good to very good there gets to be a time when you want to splurge and buy a few of the best. In .22’s there is no better semi-auto than the 10/22 to customize and there are a few smiths who do a better job at it than the rest.

THISISME
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top