Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 11:08:33 AM EDT
My 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 needs new shocks. No lift kit, no monster tires either.  I just wanted to get Arfcom's opinion on this one.

I want to put good shocks on this thing.  I drive it hard and fast, so I don't want to use the bargain AutoZone stuff.  Or is the Autozone stuff just fine?

I also take this truck hunting in the mountains, but I take it easy up there.

The brands I know of are SkyJacker, Rancho, Rough Country, Monroe, and Bilstein.

Everyone has an opinion, lets hear them!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 needs new shocks. No lift kit, no monster tires either.  I just wanted to get Arfcom's opinion on this one.

I want to put good shocks on this thing.  I drive it hard and fast, so I don't want to use the bargain AutoZone stuff.  Or is the Autozone stuff just fine?

I also take this truck hunting in the mountains, but I take it easy up there.

The brands I know of are SkyJacker, Rancho, Rough Country, Monroe, and Bilstein.

Everyone has an opinion, lets hear them!

Define "hard & fast" - the "best" shocks are rebuildable ones that have been valved for your particular vehicle and your particular driving style over a given terrain.

Of the ones you listed I'd probably go with the Bilsteins - the particular model being dependent upon how much you want to spend.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I drive mainly on roads, and I drive fast.  The roads suck around here.

I am looking to bounce less when I hit a bump and roll less when I make a turn.

I don't know anything really about rebuildable shocks.  

As far as how much I am looking to spend, I don't mind paying for quality.  The cheapest I have found is around $30 each, the most expensive are $150.  I wouldn't mind spending that kind of money as long as it is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Short of external reservoir shocks, Bilstein 5100's are my favorite that I've tried.  At less than $100/each, nothing else in that price range compares.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I was happy with Billsteins on my 01 4WD Dodge with a Cummins.

Very happy with the stock Billsteins on my 08 Tacoma––just threw in some 5100s on the front to level it out.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Short of external reservoir shocks, Bilstein 5100's are my favorite that I've tried.  At less than $100/each, nothing else in that price range compares.

Absolutely.

I had a set on my Tacoma that worked very well.  now I jumped up into the big-boy leagues with Icon coilovers with resi's
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Like I always say, if you can find a great quality U.S. made performance shock, do it.
I haven't tried many, other than the basic Rancho's.

The Bilsteins I run on my lifted truck seem like they'd be hard-pressed to be beat.
I can't say I'm anything but absolutely satisfied with them, at their worst.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Bilsteins are good to go on trucks. They have automatic valving inside the shock, To adjust to the terrain.

Rancho 9000XL's adjustable, Are a great shock as well. The deal with the Rancho's, Is that you have to crawl under the truck to adjust the valving you need.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I would go with the Bilstein HD shocks.  They are meant for no lift, the 5100' s are adjustable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty much unanimous so far.  Bilstein shocks are the way to go.

Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I also agree about the Bilstiens.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:35:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would go with the Bilstein HD shocks.  They are meant for no lift, the 5100' s are adjustable.

Front, coil-over type Bilstein 5100's are adjustable, the rears are fixed.  For my Titan, they were available for OEM height trucks, but they can also be ordered for lifted trucks.  I actually chose to lift the front using a 2" billet spacer as opposed to setting the front 5100's on the lift setting.  Doing so gave me a modest increase in ground clearance while letting me keep the original amount of suspension droop which is important especially on rough terrain.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:44:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I put Monroes on my Dodge Durango since the stock shocks were worn out. They are a bit stiff since they are HD oil stocks, but they give way better control than the stock shocks and do ok for the price, plus they have a lifetime replacement warranty. I was bouncing around like a pogo stick on those stock shocks with 35,000 miles on them.

I'd prefer Bilsteins since I hear they are the best, but sometimes you gotta get what you can afford.
I'll probably put some  Bilsteins on my '07 Tundra since the stock shocks suck ass on that year Tundra.

Will cost me about $450 though, have to save up for a litle while. Bilsteins for the front are about $165 each.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:59:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I like to go to www.tirerack.com - esp for research on socks, breaks - not just tires.

Often they will have some of the better prices I have found.  

Brad
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd also try allshocks.com as well.
I got my 5100s from them for about $75 a few years ago, and they shipped to destination in about 2 days, literally, with basic shipping cost.
I was surprised and thrilled.

Definitely check around for prices and compare though.
Unless you have to go coilovers, the prices aren't really that unbearable for their quality shocks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Agreed, also look at the 5150 depend on how much extra $$ they run.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top