Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 7:08:28 AM EDT
As you may know from reading other threads I work as a Dispatcher and I don't get to take an official lunch break (its usually 5 minutes to pee and grab food out of the fridge)... I have been getting sick of the sandwich game and started eating a combination of left overs from dinner, Lean Pockets and Healthy Choice frozen dinners for lunch for a couple weeks, and frankly, the frozen foods suck. I like the healthy requests attempt at vegetables and desert in one tray.... but the food quality is pretty poor.
Any suggestions for good ones to try?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

As you may know from reading other threads I work as a Dispatcher and I don't get to take an official lunch break (its usually 5 minutes to pee and grab food out of the fridge)... I have been getting sick of the sandwich game and started eating a combination of left overs from dinner, Lean Pockets and Healthy Choice frozen dinners for lunch for a couple weeks, and frankly, the frozen foods suck. I like the healthy requests attempt at vegetables and desert in one tray.... but the food quality is pretty poor.

Why not cook big on your day off and pack it.  It takes just as long to reheat as something frozen.  Then it can be something delicious, cheaper, and quick.  Chili, spaghetti, chicken and dumplings, stir-fry, fajitas, soups, casseroles, etc.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about dinners, but Mrs. Callender makes a mean pot pie...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like the new panini and flatbread sandwiches from stoffers(sp?) they are damn good
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Hungry Man
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hungry Man

This. This thread needs more poll
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I really like the new panini and flatbread sandwiches from stoffers(sp?) they are damn good

that sounds pretty tasty
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hungry Man

This. This thread needs more poll

Ahhh it cant have moar pole because I dont know what brands are out there to vote on haha :-D
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think i've had a frozen dinner since 1989. I do remember the Hungry man with chop steak and tater tots being good

http://www.contactmusic.com/videos.nsf/stream/zz-top-tv-dinners
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not cook big on your day off and pack it.  It takes just as long to reheat as something frozen.  Then it can be something delicious, cheaper, and quick.  Chili, spaghetti, chicken and dumplings, stir-fry, fajitas, soups, casseroles, etc.

I agree. Screw a pre-packaged, undersized, overpriced gut bomb.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#11]
California Pizza Kitchen makes some bad-ass flat bread pizza thingies.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Hungry Man meals taste good...but dear god read the nutrition facts.  I have never seen a product openly admit that it contains more than 100% of the RDV of fat and sodium.  Usually the manufacturer gets around this by changing the serving size but I guess Swanson had no choice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Marie Calender Pot Pies are the shit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Boston Market
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#17]
now im craving a hungry man turkey dinner.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#18]
your state's labor laws allow you to be denied a lunch break on an 8 hour shift?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#19]
You. Cook on days off and freeze for the week.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Boston Market
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
your state's labor laws allow you to be denied a lunch break on an 8 hour shift?

I would have to take it unpaid and there is no one on first shift that can provide coverage (no one dispatch trained or trained with our software) so I just get away with having someone answer the phone while I grab the portable and go lol :-P

Its not a big deal :)
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I tried that a few times with stews and such and it didnt reheat right. Do you have any tips??
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Marie Calender Pot Pies are the shit.

Amen brotha'...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried that a few times with stews and such and it didnt reheat right. Do you have any tips??

Somethings dont reheat as well.

Thinks that work well : Casseroles, spaghetti, chile, tamales, enchiladas, chile rellenos, mongolian beef, fried rice, coconut curry chicken, adobo, mashed potatos, cooked chicken breasts,

Things that dont work well : Thin stews (need them to be think so the broth doesn't evaporate wihtout heating the meat/veggies, soups, things with yogurt,
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Occasionally I'll make a party-sized Stouffers (or generic) lasagne and bring in portions for lunch.  They heat up pretty quickly.

Another thought is a chef salad.  Mix it up the night before, just put on dressing at lunch time so the lettuce doesn't wilt.  I include a hard-cooked egg, ham or turkey, shredded cheese, either kidney or garbanzo beans, and croutons on mine so it's a pretty substantial meal.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#26]
whats wrong with a sammich? I don't know what I would do without them
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Most of the frozen dinners have way too much fat, cholesterol and salt. It is better to cook your own and reheat in the microwave.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Boston Market, Stauffers, El Charrito...pretty good stuff.

HH
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
whats wrong with a sammich? I don't know what I would do without them

They are boring.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I could live entirely off of these - Hormel Compleats.

http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/hormel/HormelCompleats.aspx

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Bertolli FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Doc put me on low-cholesterol diet recently.  As far as flavor, these aren't  bad :

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#35]
I was in Dollar Tree a few weeks ago, and they have some brand I never heard of before TV dinners.

I have no idea where some of these brands come from, it was 'Grandma's Freezer' or some name like that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I like lots of diff, frozen food.  Stouffer's(sp) do not have any presereatives in them.  I love me some Salsbury steak, and MacnCheese.  Also their Lasagna is pretty damn good, for a lunch at the office.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Have you tried the tricolored raviolli, in a creamy cheese sauce.....that is so good
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Make a big pot of chili, do a big pot of sloppy joes and put them into individual serving size containers, leftover chicken, mashed taters. Lots of things can be cooked, frozen and reheated well, except steak. I've never had good luck reheating steak.
Make up salad and put them into single containers (don't add cheese until the night before though) and you can have a quick snack at break time. Lots of better eating than frozen stuff.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I like lots of diff, frozen food.  Stouffer's(sp) do not have any presereatives in them.  I love me some Salsbury steak, and MacnCheese.  Also their Lasagna is pretty damn good, for a lunch at the office.

I think their Mac and Cheese is the best you can buy in a store.

HH
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Boston Market

Good, but tiny portion size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top