Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 9:43:59 AM EDT
I'm tired of playing around with cheap weight sets. I've accumulated three sets over the years, none of which are compatable and I keep running out of weight. I want to get a good barbell/dumbell set up. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:23:45 AM EDT
Try these guys: Linky
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:01:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 6:04:11 PM EDT by rhino_]
IVANKO is another high end brand. We used them exclusively when I competed in powerlifting meets in northern California.

They have three lines in their brand name: Commercial, Competition, and "Retail."

And they're made in the USA, if that matters.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:58:10 AM EDT
Rhino! Haven't seen you on BEnos in forever! How's life?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:18:52 AM EDT
I've heard good things about barbells from Piedmont Design Associates (www.fractionalplates.com/) in Mauldin, SC. Their shop is about 30 miles from me, and I've wanted to see one of their bars since I first heard about them about eight years ago. They also sell thicker bars that are supposed to really help your grip strength.

They [Ivanko] have three lines in their brand name: Commercial, Competition, and "Retail

I think they might have a fourth line now. A local store sells Ivanko bars and plates that are made in China for about $1/pound. I have 1 1/4, 2 1/2, and 25 pound plates from that line. They have a nice finish, the iron doesn't chip as easily as some of the other brands I've used, and they were closer to the weight on the label than my other weights. Their expensive weights are nice, but their made in China ones are more than good enough for home use. I don't have any experience with the bars.z
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:34:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pisgahrifle:
Rhino! Haven't seen you on BEnos in forever! How's life?

Life is awesome! Now that I don't live in the BenosVerse anymore, I have more time to do stuff (like go to the gym!).

I sent e-mail!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:36:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zoom:
I think they might have a fourth line now. A local store sells Ivanko bars and plates that are made in China for about $1/pound. I have 1 1/4, 2 1/2, and 25 pound plates from that line. They have a nice finish, the iron doesn't chip as easily as some of the other brands I've used, and they were closer to the weight on the label than my other weights. Their expensive weights are nice, but their made in China ones are more than good enough for home use. I don't have any experience with the bars.z

Thanks for the update. Sounds like good marketing strategy for them, and good values for the consumer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:47:02 PM EDT
Just get them from your local sporting goods store because shipping will cost way more that the weights will.

Make sure that you weigh each plate indvidually when you buy it. The weights don't need to be exactly what it says on the plate but you do need to get matched pairs so that when you load the bar, it will have an even amount of weight on both sides.

Buying weights in the 300lb oly sets is a good idea bargain but soon you will end up with extra bars which you don't need. So I suggest buying 2, 300lb sets and then concentrating on only 45lb plates.

I don't use the bars from those sets because they are cheap and bend easily. I picked up a 1500lb rated power bar here for $145.

As for dumbells, I use Iron Master
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:06:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:28:22 AM EDT
I second the idea of the 300lb. sets for a good value. I picked up one from my local sporting goods store years back, and was quite happy with it. I would have just needed to pick up some extra 45s if I would have kept lifting at home.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:36:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 9:36:58 AM EDT by PBIR]
I have about 450lbs of gold's gym free weights and their olympic bar and curl bar. Zero problems with any of it so far & it was pretty cheap at the local commie mart when I bought it a few years ago. They have an excellent bench that was running $99 at the time too.
Top Top