Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 11:16:30 PM EDT
I'm trying to figure this whole thing out and I dont know all that much about electronics and electricity.  

I have a total of 9 valves that need 24v and draw 1watt when turned on.  I need a power supply that can power them.  My question is this.  Do I need seperate power supply's all at 1amp or can I use 1 power supply that can supply up to 9amp's( preferably with some overhead).

Would this work [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11772&item=3105706714[/url]

What would you suggest for a power supply?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Hardwire it directly to the main coming in the panel.

Edit to add: [:D]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You can use a single 9 Amp power supply to power all nine tubes at once.  Just fuse the power lead just in case.  24V at 1 Amp is 24 Watts times 9 tubes = 216 Watts.  That's a lot of power.

Notice the shipping on the item.  It's a little expensive compared to the price.z
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks 1gun but I stay away from anything with that much power [:)]

If it helps any this is what I am going to be running.
[url]http://www.flo-products.com/floprod/smcval0vqbppf.html[/url]
[url]http://www.smcusa.com/si/order_pages/VQ-EX120/VQ120-5.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry guys, that was my bad.  It only draws 1 watt for each valve.  So I need a total of 9 watts.  I'm sure that makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Just to make sure I have this correct.  It doesn't matter how many amps the power supply has, I just need to make sure there's enough amperage to power all valves and that its at 24v?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
O.K.,

That is correct (but not necessarily efficient)

Here are some equations:

Power = Voltage (V or E) x Current (I)
or
Power = Current(I) Squared x Load/Resistance (R)

Therefore 24volts times 9amps equals 216watts
(just as zoom said before me)

That is what you're going to need.

P.S.- Americans say "Tubes" or "Vacuum Tubes"
     Brits say "valves" [:D] just thought i'd
     throw that in there!

Reminds me of a joke I heard .....
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just to make sure I have this correct.  It doesn't matter how many amps the power supply has, I just need to make sure there's enough amperage to power all valves and that its at 24v?
View Quote

Yes, you need a 24 Volt power supply.  If each valve dissipates 1 Watt of power and you have a total of 9 valves and you may opperate all 9 valves at the same time, then you need a 24V 9W power supply.

Power = Voltage * Current   (for a dc circuit)

So you will only be drawing about 0.090 Amps when all of the valve are opperating at the same time.

The power supply in the ebay link will work, but it's overkill.  You could get by with a much smaller power supply.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:10:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I tried to provide a couple of links, but they won't copy here for some reason.  I found couple of 24 V power supplies.  If you are interested, go here:

[url]www.digikey.com[/url]

and type in "power supply" in the search block.

Scroll down to power supplies and select "linear" and then refine the search using 24V in the "Voltage Output" parameter (the parameter on the right).
Look for the ones around $35.
If you want an external power supply, go back to the power supplies list and select "external"
There are a couple for about $35 also.

Of course, you could probably just build one for a little cheaper.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:07:36 AM EDT
[#10]
It's standard procedure to double the power supply in relation to the load. For example, if your load is going to be 9 watts, get [u]at least[/u] an 18 watt power supply. You don't want to choose a PS that can just barely power the load - it will eventually become a smoke supply.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the help guys.  I almost thing I know what I'm doing now.  I ended going with this Cherokee supply
[url]http://www.cherokeellc.com/content/specs/data_sheets/cap200_datasheet.pdf[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top