Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2013 5:55:18 AM EDT
There seems to be many theories about who killed Nimrod.

Every time I look into this, I find many contradicting thoeries.

Anybody know?

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Who is Nimrod.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Serious and respectful discussion only please.  ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Nimrod, as in king of Babylon.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Unstated.

I believe Hislop said Shem did in hispoorly researched (fraudulently researched?) "The Two Babylons"..
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unstated.

I believe Hislop said Shem did in hispoorly researched (fraudulently researched?) "The Two Babylons"..

I think by unstated, you mean as in unstated by the Bible?

I haven't read Alexander Hyslop's book, but I'd like to. (more for entertainment, than from a perspective of real research)

How was this book possibly, fraudulently researched? (not sarcasm, honest question)

Wondering if you mean his interpretations (of scripture) may be flawed?

I have heard the proposition put forth, that Shem was the man. This seems to be reoccurring, and commonly thought. ( I don't have a dog in this fight)

Link Posted: 5/31/2013 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unstated.

I think by unstated, you mean as in unstated by the Bible?

I haven't read Alexander Hyslop's book, but I'd like to. (more for entertainment, than from a perspective of real research)

How was this book possibly, fraudulently researched? (not sarcasm, honest question)

Wondering if you mean his interpretations (of scripture) may be flawed?

I have heard the proposition put forth, that Shem was the man. This seems to be reoccurring, and commonly thought. ( I don't have a dog in this fight)

Just hit the wiki page for "the two Babylons" for an explanation of the problems with the book. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Babylons

I do reject his theology along with the harlot (Catholicism) and her daughters (Protestantism). His theology was probably "mainstream" Protestantism and his book isn't bogus based on doctrinal grounds, but just to poor/fraudulent research. His understanding of who the harlot was is correct and very little research is required to reach that conclusion.

The proposition that it was Shem probably all stems from Hislop's book as the common source.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I've read The two Babylons.
It is an interesting premise.I am aware that he got MANY things wrong in his book. He was using the best information available to him in the mid-19th century. There has been a huge increase in knowledge since then.
I think it's unfair to throw everything he did out,  He , without a doubt, jumped to many conclusions that don't hold up to current knowledge.
I wish someone would go be and reexamine his work and see if it holds water still.

Never the less, I believe, if you look at Egyptian Mythology, it rather supports the idea the Shem either killed, or had him killed. Osiris seems to fit Nimrod's description well, and Set seems to match well with Shem. Set is often described in bad ways, which would make sense if you were a worshiper of Osiris.
I don't hold to that as absolute though, and if I'm wrong, no big whoop.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies guys.

I heard the other day that Noah's son Seth, led an army that defeated Nimrod's army....(heard this story before)

.....and because of this, some credit Seth with the killing of Nimrod also. (not saying this is the case, just another piece to the puzzle)
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Who cares?

The blood still works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top