Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 5:25:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:29:50 PM EDT
well the date ticker only goes back so far, to the times of the old board.............but um, im gonna guess the avilas would have something to do with being the oldest posters..........
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:30:10 PM EDT
But the current dates don't go past the beginning of the new board, right?

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:31:35 PM EDT
When it comes to age, I think the [b]oldest[/b] poster here is zoom- he's in his 70s.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:52:41 PM EDT
i think he meant oldest active account
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:57:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 5:59:41 PM EDT by Noname]
But the current dates don't go past the beginning of the new board, right?
View Quote

Yeah, IIRC...

There was the newsletter thingie
The old board
The first new board
The second new board

Now this one...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:01:02 PM EDT
not i
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:06:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By peekay:
i think he meant oldest active account
View Quote

Yes thanks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:08:49 PM EDT
I was around when it was an email list. A little later the newfangled (ver. 1.0) website went up. I stayed on both for a year or more. The website eventually won me over.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:14:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KY-Bob:
I was around when it was an email list. A little later the newfangled (ver. 1.0) website went up. I stayed on both for a year or more. The website eventually won me over.

Bob
View Quote
what year ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:15:29 PM EDT
I suppose about everyone that registered Nov 2000 came from the previous board. Man, there was a lot of bitching about the switch.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:25:45 PM EDT
I recall being on the email list, but can't recall when that was... then I got off for a bit, and came back - I have trouble recalling what I had for llunch today, you want me to remember if I was around before this board?  sheesh!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:29:47 PM EDT
Around the middle of 1999 for me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:31:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cyanide:

Bob
View Quote
what year ?
View Quote

It was around 97 - 98 time frame. WELL before all the Y2K ramp-up happened. I really don't remember as ARFcom has really become a part of life, it's just...there.

I remember a really witty/sarcastic Professor type on the email list with a name like greenwood or something like that. He used to really shred the dolts to shreds every so often. I remember tweak and when he was outed by Thomas A. Spithaler.

I expect Tweak to jump in here at any time. I remember when he joined the email list. Mostly because Thomas was such a complete ass and Tweak handled it like a gentleman, well, mostly. [:)]

How about you?

Bob
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:35:15 PM EDT
I'm a holdover from the older board, but I never was around for newsletters and such.  I'm thinking 1999 or so.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:39:02 PM EDT
September 1999.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:41:56 PM EDT
Fall of 1998 for me, under a different name, don't even recall it, but I wasn't in Seattle yet then anyway so the name would have had to of been different eh?

Don't know if I was on that mailing list too or just the current AR-L.

Pauls been around forever!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:42:28 PM EDT
I've been around since the first website.

I'm not too old, but I'm very cranky.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:46:08 PM EDT
I remember tweak and when he was outed by Thomas A. Spithaler.
View Quote

Ah those were good times!

Tom seems to be an OK dude, but Tweak well he's a helluva guy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:49:27 PM EDT
The "New" board starting accepting members in Nov 2000.  It wasn't really the "new" board, then.  It was more or less an alternative board being beta-tested.  Something happened in late Jan - Feb 2001 that caused the old board to crash.  Most of us that went down with that ship eventually found this "new" board.  Before long, Goatboy made the old URL  to apply to this "new" board.

There are dozens of people who go back to that time period, and still quite few of us that go back to the listerver days.  Based on where I remember living at the time, I would estimate I go back to at least April of 1999.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:55:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Oslow:
I suppose about everyone that registered Nov 2000 came from the previous board. Man, there was a lot of bitching about the switch.
View Quote

The font is too small! It's too dark! I lost my post-count! Someone stole my name!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:00:29 PM EDT
WOW, a lot of old timers still here.

Is this guy still here ?
Pete Nelson, Owner & Webmaster - I've been involved with firearms since 1996 when I purchased my first pistol, a 9mm Glock 17. At the time, I was middle-of-the-road politically neutral, but have since grown to be an independent conservative/libertarian. I am a member of the NRA, GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundation and the California Rifle and Pistol Assoc. I believe strongly in firearms training. If you own a gun, learn how to handle it safely, then learn to how to use it to defend yourself, your loved ones and your country. My favorite toys are Garands and Tannerite. I'm a moderator and frequent poster at ar15.com
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:09:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:
I remember tweak and when he was outed by Thomas A. Spithaler.
View Quote

Ah those were good times!

Tom seems to be an OK dude, but Tweak well he's a helluva guy.
View Quote

I think some clarification is due here. Thomas outed Tweak in a matter of speaking. He gave out his real name on the email list and tried to discredit him. It was not a gay "outing".

Sorry Tweak.

Oh yeh, Thomas was a shining example of someone who does not understand the Internet and the inherent power it contains.

Bob

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:10:24 PM EDT
I first came here in mid-1999 or so, just looking around. I know I was a member by Nov. 2000- I bought my first AR the day before the pres. election- I honestly thought it would be the last chance to get one- such is life in anti-gun MA....
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:12:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:15:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:19:53 PM EDT
I think some clarification is due here. Thomas outed Tweak in a matter of speaking. He gave out his real name on the email list and tried to discredit him. It was not a gay "outing".
View Quote

Good catch!

I knew what you meant but others might not have.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:25:45 PM EDT
I've been around for a while, way before this newfangled deal sprang up, but I didn't know about it when it was an email list.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:27:49 PM EDT
... Used to post as [b]SEF[/b] on the old 98-99 timeframe board.

... Remember [b]ZEN[/b] and his converted missile silo abode?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:28:57 PM EDT
Well, I don't want to start anything, but I first showed up here in 1919, when AR15 had its [b]real[/b] meaning: Army Rifle 1915 - the late, lamented, '03A3. My original nick was YpresDude, but I lost it when the market crashed in '29 and I couldn't pay my ISP (it was East Brooklyn Gas & Electric) the $.80 [[b]GOLD STANDARD[/b]] per month they charged.

Between the Depression, the Nazis, snowstorms, and heavy fog in the Mid-Atlantic Region, the site was mostly down until 1943, when the AR36 (Garand) was generally acknowledged to have superceded the original AR15. I signed up again, but since my unit was deployed as  Coast Artillery in a low spot on the Atlantic Coast, my crystal internet set wouldn't pick up for shit. It transmitted OK, so when you see really funny stuff on the net that's been around forever, it's probably old posts of mine.

Things continued about like that for more than 20 years. During that time, all I could do was record digitally mastered bon mots on 78 rpm glass disks and mail them to Beirut in the hope that they'd eventually be posted. When you see funny stuff about Hope & Crosby, it's my stuff from that era.

Until about 1988, we all used the crackly old AM internet, and chuckled about the rise of the "AR15, AR-15." I mean, after 60 years, they repeat the rifle's name? Anyhow, in 1990 we discovered the words "asshat," "assclown," and the morpheme "-nazi," and the modern internet was born.

So, at the risk of offending some people, I have to confess: I've been around longest of all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:44:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
... Used to post as [b]SEF[/b] on the old 98-99 timeframe board.

... Remember [b]ZEN[/b] and his converted missile silo abode?
View Quote

Yes. I wouldn't mind having one myself.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:48:04 PM EDT
I started lurking in mid "99", there were some real characters here back then, some of the funniest posts I ever read were posted here on the days leading up to new years 2000. There were guys actually sitting out on roofs with weapons ready, giving situation reports every hour, waiting for the S to HTF on new years eve.
That was some classic shit.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:49:16 PM EDT
My guess would be Goatboy or Ed Sr.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:54:11 PM EDT
yawn.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:04:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Originally Posted By cyanide:
WOW, a lot of old timers still here.

Is this guy still here ?
Pete Nelson, Owner & Webmaster - I've been involved with firearms since 1996 when I purchased my first pistol, a 9mm Glock 17. At the time, I was middle-of-the-road politically neutral, but have since grown to be an independent conservative/libertarian. I am a member of the NRA, GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundation and the California Rifle and Pistol Assoc. I believe strongly in firearms training. If you own a gun, learn how to handle it safely, then learn to how to use it to defend yourself, your loved ones and your country. My favorite toys are Garands and Tannerite. I'm a moderator and frequent poster at ar15.com
View Quote

Well it's DVDTracker of course.
View Quote

In case you missed it, that's actually a rhetorical question.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:09:00 PM EDT
Not me fer shure.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:52:47 PM EDT
I joined the AR15-L (eList) back in mid-1998, after an onerous law passed in MA and I determined that I was finally going to buy an AR15 (something that I'd wanted since mid-1970s) and then look for a place to shoot it.

I remember Corey Satler before Tom Spithaler. With many thanks to Tweak, I asked him to organize an AR15 shoot when I was out in Seattle area on business in 1999 and 2001. I remember when the AR15-L split into two, a MISC-L due to one poster who used to post thesis length diatribes regularly.

I actually lost AR15.com when it moved here (and I had dropped off the eList for a while due to high volume) and asked Tweak for the location and rejoined. I still prefer the eList (I'm still on it) to webforums.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:50:04 PM EDT
I was around when it was an email list.
View Quote

Yep. If you were not on the old Email lists 8 or 9 years ago, you are a newbie.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:52:15 PM EDT
Oh yeh, Thomas was a shining example of someone who does not understand the Internet and the inherent power it contains.

Bob

View Quote

Yep. Oly Arms had a good reputation back in the AR15 email list days, largly due to Corey.  then Thomas came along...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:51:46 PM EDT
As you can see I'm not a big poster nor am I one of the oldest members, but I subscribed to the news letter way back when. Back when it was the news letter I bought a Granite gunsafe from one of the members at a great price!  

I've been a pseudo lurker for a long time!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:59:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR15fan:

Bob

View Quote

Yep. Oly Arms had a good reputation back in the AR15 email list days, largly due to Corey.  then Thomas came along...
View Quote

I had forgoten about Corey. Oly did have a great reputation. The first AR I built was on an Olympic lower. Other than some cast lowers floating around out there I think most of their stuff is ok.

I can't wait to see their .308 caliber WSSM AR15 comes out. I will be buying an upper for sure.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:20:06 AM EDT
I was on the ar15-l list-- hooray for digest mode!  [:)]

What year that was...  Dear God.  '97 or '98?

Mike
Top Top