Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 9:14:06 AM EDT
I am unsure which infantry man is better equiped. They both have the same basic armor. But what about weapons the marines have the M16 a4 with TA31f RCOa4 which is a damn fine optic. The Army has the M4 with the M68cco. What about other weapons the marines have the better anti armor weapons what do you think who is the best equiped infantry man. How about world wide?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:26:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 9:28:25 AM EDT by B-O-A-T-S]

The Marines and the Army infantry have similar but different missions. Seeing as the Marins are Sea Based whereas the Army is land based - there would be some differences. Load out is mission dependent, so unless you want to discuss every possible load out for each branch / platoon slot (grenadier, rifleman, machine gunner) it's safe to say that they take what they can for what they need to do.

As to which rifle. Well if your in a HMMWV then i prefer the M4, otherwise the additional length of the M16 would be nice. But since thats only about a 50m (effective range) difference, it depends on what your unit issues.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:31:24 AM EDT
The Army has always had better funding, and it always will. This is not intended as an insult to either service, it's just a reality. The Army has newer, cooler equipment as a result.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:36:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DOW:
The Army has always had better funding, and it always will. This is not intended as an insult to either service, it's just a reality. The Army has newer, cooler equipment as a result.

Yep
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:39:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bloodmoon:
I am unsure which infantry man is better equiped. They both have the same basic armor.

I'm not an expert at this stuff, but it was explained to me, the mission and philsophies are different. The Marines are supposed to be more mobile and lighter armed. The marines are supposed to there, and get control. The Army is supposed get there later and hold. Over the years, this has blurred a bit, basically that is what I've been told.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:45:36 AM EDT

True.

and seconding the mission-specific loadout comments. The differences between the services when it comes to Killing Time are really insignificant.
The only systemic difference is that Marines don't typically issue full-auto rifles - our Logistics train isn't usually as huge as the Army's.

/Former Marine Arty Sgt

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:48:29 AM EDT
bloodmoon, what is with all your ridiculous questions? I bit my tongue for a while, but I can't any longer. Give it a rest.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:51:59 AM EDT
Isn't there something in the COC about posting repeat or very similar topics over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:52:22 AM EDT

This is probably why the Marines are doing things like issuing M79s and M72s again. Older stuff, but it gets the job done, and they have it in inventory may as well use it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:58:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Isn't there something in the COC about posting repeat or very similar topics over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again?

I didnt think that they were that similar. One deals with who is the best infantry man the other deals with who is the best equiped US fighter. They are not even that similar. If you are irritated by this why reply to try to make me mad?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:00:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:
bloodmoon, what is with all your ridiculous questions? I bit my tongue for a while, but I can't any longer. Give it a rest.

I am sorry if it is upsetting you but why. Is this not great material for a military and weapons web site. Isnt this more interesting than someones cat?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:18:41 AM EDT
The Army gets better gear.

Max
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:20:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:23:52 AM EDT
who cares...both do what they are supposed to do...kick some foreign ass
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:24:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DigDug:

I am sorry if it is upsetting you but why. Is this not great material for a military and weapons web site. Isnt this more interesting than someones cat?

Why the angry face friend. What about my topics angers you so?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:27:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:18:32 AM EDT
Ha!! Neither! They fall before the Mighty Mall Ninja!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:18:37 AM EDT
My friend a former Marine is now in the Army. He says the Marines drive around in "questionable stuff" while he has a new m1114.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:23:01 AM EDT

Why the angry face friend. What about my topics angers you so?

Cat lover I see. I am a dog man myself I guess you cant please everyone.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:43:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 11:44:58 AM EDT by LonePathfinder]
This question is stupid. Both use US equipment. Both sets of soldiers have equal killing ability.

M4/M16, M249, M240, Mk19, M2 plus M203 are all what they use. Some MEU's were using M1911s vice M9s and M14/M21s have popped up in both Army and Marine units as DMRs.

Same weapons, same body armor just different tactics and organization. The only differences are Amtracks vs Bradleys, and different flavor shoulder fire rockets in some cases.

Units that are in or heading for combat get priority for go fast gear like optics. Many units buy optics out of pocket for both services.

A marine fire team is probably 99% identical to a typical Army fire team.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:47:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LonePathfinder:
This question is stupid. Both use US equipment. Both sets of soldiers have equal killing ability.

M4/M16, M249, M240, Mk19, M2 plus M203 are all what they use. Some MEU's were using M1911s vice M9s and M14/M21s have popped up in both Army and Marine units as DMRs.

Same weapons, same body armor just different tactics and organization. The only differences are Amtracks vs Bradleys, and different flavor shoulder fire rockets in some cases.

Units that are in or heading for combat get priority for go fast gear like optics. Many units buy optics out of pocket for both services.

Marines have different optics, different shoulder fired weapons, different vehicals, different fire team structure, different leaders and different training
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:50:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 11:58:14 AM EDT by dport]
<sniff, sniff> I smell an attention whore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:55:06 AM EDT
this is kinda like asking what kinda gun is better, a revolver or an automatic?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:59:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:
<snif, snif> I smell an attention whore.

Naw I just want to know which is the best equiped no one who is a marine or soldier I have talked to really knows. A soldier I know said he wishes he had marine equipment, and a marine I talked to says marine equipment sucks donkey dick.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:01:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tweeter:
this is kinda like asking what kinda gun is better, a revolver or an automatic?

What about automatic revolvers......(Webley-Fosberry, Mateba)
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:02:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rayra:

True.

and seconding the mission-specific loadout comments. The differences between the services when it comes to Killing Time are really insignificant.
The only systemic difference is that Marines don't typically issue full-auto rifles - our Logistics train isn't usually as huge as the Army's.

/Former Marine Arty Sgt

WTF?

I never saw any full auto rifles when I was in the Army, unless you want to count an M249 as an "automatic rifle".
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:03:16 PM EDT

Naw I just want to know which is the best equiped no one who is a marine or soldier I have talked to really knows. A soldier I know said he wishes he had marine equipment, and a marine I talked to says marine equipment sucks donkey dick.

Nine topics, a majority of which are remarkably similar, in the span of 24 hours. Attention whoring at it's finest.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:04:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By maxell27:
The Army gets better gear.

Max

They get it first. When I was int he 82nd Abn, we got the newest stuff first. The USMC got it eventually, but at the time the 18th Abn Corps had priority.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:12:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LonePathfinder:

Marines have different optics, different shoulder fired weapons, different vehicals, different fire team structure, different leaders and different training

Different Optics? Optics are optics, I've seen Army using the same brands of optics as Marine units. The difference in combat it provides is virtually nil.

Different weapons? You mean they don't both use M4s or M16s??? They might have different variants of the weapons but its the same family of weapons and again would mean almost no difference in combat ability. If a weapon is an A2 or A4 or if the MGs have heat shields or not counts doesnt mean its completely different weapon in my mind.

Different tactics yes, different vehicles...well Amtracks, LAVs and 7 tons are only different vehicles off the top of my head. All share common log trains with army vehicles. Amtracks IIRC have had bradley suspensions for some time-like it matters, the question was on individual soldier/marine equipment. There is for all intents and purposes NO difference in the Equipment they carry.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:16:33 PM EDT
I will sum it up very easy for you.......

The Army gets the best of the gear, but the MARINES use the gear the best!!!!!

Semper Fi,
ASO544
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:30:21 PM EDT

Nine topics, a majority of which are remarkably similar, in the span of 24 hours. Attention whoring at it's finest.

Also seems to be post whorish, eh?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:32:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:

I am unsure which infantry man is better equiped. They both have the same basic armor.

I'm not an expert at this stuff, but it was explained to me, the mission and philsophies are different. The Marines are supposed to be more mobile and lighter armed. The marines are supposed to there, and get control. The Army is supposed get there later and hold. Over the years, this has blurred a bit, basically that is what I've been told.

I tend to think that members of the 1st Cav, 101 Air Assault(?), and other ACRs would disagree.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:40:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Yep

I can't add too much to this, but in DS/DSheild, marines still used M60 tanks whil e my unit had Abrams
Top Top