Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2001 9:28:45 PM EDT
I really hope that this does not all come down to personal peference, but I hear different things about Colt, Armalite, and Bushmaster etc.  All the AR's and one M-16 I have shot were Colt and one Olympic.  My dad is a collector and was a dealer until Clinton got in to office.  He has owns from a semi-auto A1 with the old grip to a current A2 Sporter with hbar.  I really want an old green label A2 government pre-ban sporter with the extendable stock, but just cannot fork up the $2000.  Any help is appreciated.  

Chida66

(and no, Dad won't sell me his A2 Government)
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
DPMS, hands down.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Im gonna go off and say Bushmaster. Just like the Bushy's
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
When you find an AR15 then you
will know the answer.
The "best" is 99.99% of the time
the one you own.[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a bushie man myself, but i do like my Rock River Arms. I heard good things about Armalite.read around here  [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/index.html?board=2[/url]  mmk
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:35:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm on my way to having one of each, that will be the only real way to tell.  hehe
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:58:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Cant go wrong with a Colt, Bushmaster or Armalite/EagleArms.

However, I agree with Hangfire when he says the "best" is often the one you own.  You can take most any brand receiver and with the proper parts, put together a reliable weapon that prints really tight groups.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I've owned or handled AR's from most manufacturers...

Without question, [b]Rock River[/b]!
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Gotta go with my pre-ban Colt 6001. She's so sweet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
are you sure you want to have this discussion, again?

the answeres will vary widely but my personal favorite would be bushmaster.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really hope that this does not all come down to personal peference
View Quote
You got to be kidding.  That is what you will get anytime you ask this question.  I say ArmaLite/Eagle Arms, preban (Eagles) or postban (ArmaLite and Eagles).  Of course you could get a real old ArmaLite preban, made in the seventies.  An original AR180.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Almost everyone uses the same parts from the same few manufacturers.  I think your question should be: Who has the best service?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes most people will say what they own or have owned is the best. And since I am a part of the most................

1.Rock River
2.Bushmaster
3.Preban Colt

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Here we go again.....

The Truth:  Any AR-15 made in the US (which is all of them to my knowledge) is a good weapon.  Buying a different brand of AR is like drinking a different brand of tap water.  Unless you are looking for specific features any AR-15 will suffice, regardless of make.

I personally have a preferrence for Colts.  They are available in large numbers pre-ban and are well made.  Besides, I really like the neat little pony emblem.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Bushwacker, I meen Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:46:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Bushmaster was the best choice for me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:08:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Best for what?

If you want a weapon, Bushmaster is the best.  If you want a collector, Colt (preban).  If you want a target rifle that looks great, Armalite.

-Troy
View Quote

I think this pretty well sums it up!

I have owned Colt, Bushmaster and now Rock River Arms.

My Bushy A3 Dissipator is the best to be used as a weapon as Troy said.  It is superbly reliable and very accurate.  Additionally, it incorporates almost every single Mil-Spec currently in use.  In short, Bushmaster is as good/better than what our own military uses.

The Colt I had was a pre-94 Sporter Target w/ block.  Yep, the lower was technically pre-ban as it still had the A2 flash hider but it was sans bayo. lug.  It was reliable (not as much as the Bushy though) and was pretty well made.  I was pleased with it.

The Rock River LEGP is the most asthetically pleasing AR I have ever set hands on.  Superb quality and craftsmanship and utterly reliable.  I rate it better than Colt and Bushmaster.

I still consider myself a Bushmaster man though I will take a RRA anyday.  

I will not pay the $ for a simple AR-15 A2 pre-ban Colt as I would personally only consider a very early SP1 if I were gonna drop the cash for a pre-ban.

If you choose Bushy, Rock River, Colt or Armalite you are going to be okay.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anybody here heard of BOHICA ar-15's? They are all prebans. I bought one just for the name
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my Pony!
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Rock River Arms gets my vote...
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks everyone for the input!  I suppose the only problem I have ever had was with my Dad's Olympic arms.  Every now and then the sucker decided that it was okay to fire off a 3 to 5 round burst.  Lucky for us, my family has a private range and the ranch.  We took it to a gunsmith who corrected the problem for us so no Feds would be upset.  The sheriff of my home town recently purchased 20 plus Bushmasters for the department and I consider him very in the know about firearms.

Thanks again.

Chida66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top