Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 5:54:34 PM EDT
Being in a major city for school (Columbus/OSU) I probably only go shooting half a dozen times per year.

But I ride every day!

What about you guys?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotta say, I've been doing more biking than anything.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
ride to work, so more time riding.  worked all summer last year, no shooting.  may have time off this summer, but hard to make it to the range for a uncrowded weekday.  plus salmon are running, need to stock up for winter.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ride to work, so more time riding.  worked all summer last year, no shooting.  may have time off this summer, but hard to make it to the range for a uncrowded weekday.  plus salmon are running, need to stock up for winter.

How long is your riding season up there?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
When I got my last car I was kinda into it (trying to get it fixed) and neglected my gun habit.

Now Im not in to anything
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I had to sell a lot of my firearms to get into motorcycling. My new hobby is photography.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Got my bike two weeks ago and so far I've been out on the bike more times than I've been out shooting this year.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I ride more then I shoot.....

But I would'nt kill , or die to defend my right to ride.  

Guns still win, frequency does not nessecarily mean importance.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't even visit the gun forum portion of this site anymore.  Riding has consumed me and you know what............................that's a-okay with me.

Motorcycling is like riding the bullet.  What's better than that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:34:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Ive always been into motorcycles as a kid. Where I grew up, guns were a way of life. never considered it something to "be into", IMO, it was a natural thing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#10]
haven't been shooting in over a year, but I ride my bike 80 miles a day 5 days a week.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Guns. Not bikes. Very difficult to carry an AR10, an M1A, three ARs, two grandboys and four cases of ammo to the pit on a motorcycle.

(Truth be told, though, lately I've been having a bit of a midlife crisis and may after all actually buy a bike . . . . need to convince the missus, though )
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Guns. Not bikes. Very difficult to carry an AR10, an M1A, three ARs, two grandboys and four cases of ammo to the pit on a motorcycle.

(Truth be told, though, lately I've been having a bit of a midlife crisis and may after all actually buy a bike . . . . need to convince the missus, though )

IMO, if you are having a bug of sorts, buy a used one or borrow a buddies. Ive seen more ppl in your situation buy the latest greatest and either get scared, bored or no time and end up losing their asses on resale. Something to think about.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Neither take the majority spot for me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I ride more often than I shoot, BUT, I ride to save gas.  

Saving gas saves me money.

Saving money means having more money to spend...   ON GUNS!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Still way into guns, but I've only had my bike for a couple weeks.  It being the New Toy, I damn near forgot about the upcoming CMMG 3-Gun Championships this weekend.  So, I've had to bust ass loading ammo and reading up on the CoFs.

But, Guns are the only hobby that has really held my attention for long.  Well, and anime.  

I use to fly airplanes, got out of that.  Got into offroading in my Jeep, don't do much of that any more, might even sell the Jeep to pay off some bills.  Cameras were big for a while, now I'm more than happy to take basic snapshots of stuff.

Video Games/Computers have slowed down a lot, and I'm getting really burned out doing IT Stuff for a job.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Right now, bikes.

I think I'm going to start getting in to sport touring.

The only shooting I do anymore is 3 gun. Thats only 1 every other month or three.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Swingset
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I change with the seasons. Will play with bikes and hunt groundhogs ( start early april) till bow season (start mid sept.), then call yotes (start nov.-dec.). Then it's time for lot's of reloading (feb) range time (march). repeat as needed

Of course theres some overlap and other BS but, thats pretty close.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]
well considering the fact that a gallon of gas is a wee bit cheaper than a gallon of ammo.....
Actually hard times came right at X-mas, bike stolen, laid off, lost my carry peice in Uhwarrie, New bike, blown motor, .....jeeebus, will it ever end?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Swingset

$10 in gas, and I'll spend the entire day exploring, going places I've never been, clearing my head and having fun like I did when I was a kid. Plus, my wife enjoys being on the cycle and she's never been much into shooting...so it's a double-win for me.

I can't shoot for $10 a day, even if I shoot a jug of rimfires it's over that nowadays. So, for me, it's simply cost and finding something that for a time makes me feel like guns used to.

I miss hanging out with my shooting buddies, and I still shoot, but about 1/10th of what I used to.

Bikes are freedom and relaxation for me, and guns are frustration.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I make it to the range once per month. I ride my Honda to work everyday weather permitting (mid-May thru mid-Oct). I've had the same 1000cc bike for 9 years and its still a blast to ride.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I started riding when I was 16. When I was 19 I became an apprentice bike mechanic and lived, ate and breathed motorcycles until I got involved in skydiving.

I made skydiving my career and moved here to the States and made guns my hobby. I've had plenty of bikes and plenty of skydiving but I don't have enough guns. I don't even own a bike anymore and my gearhead desires are now fulfilled by my Corvette.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i dont think roads were consistently ridable this year till may.  should have snow on the ground by end of september.  4-5 mos usually.  i would ride below 30'F, but the roads usually are red on base when it starts freezing.  the summers are nice though, not usually over 85'F about 70'F today.  plus it does not get dark, just early dusk from about 0100-0300hrs.  that helps see the moose on the roads, but the leaves hide them till they are on the road.  ill try to remember to take a camera next ride.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I still shoot. But riding bikes has ALWAYS been my first love.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a lot of rifles years ago. I sold almost al of them to buy motorcycles. Now I only have 2 .22 rifles and 2 shotguns...but I have 7 motorcycles.

The only time I shoot anymore is training for work. I don't shoot recreationally at all.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i dont think roads were consistently ridable this year till may.  should have snow on the ground by end of september.  4-5 mos usually.  i would ride below 30'F, but the roads usually are red on base when it starts freezing.  the summers are nice though, not usually over 85'F about 70'F today.  plus it does not get dark, just early dusk from about 0100-0300hrs.  that helps see the moose on the roads, but the leaves hide them till they are on the road.  ill try to remember to take a camera next ride.

I'm all for an Alaska pic thread.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I've always rode more than I've shot. I voted for the bike. If I had a range next door it would be different.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#28]
i ride more than i shoot. not really a choice, but a lack of options.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm all for an Alaska pic thread.

if i didnt have a msf course tomorrow, id go to the bar and get you a pic of a real alaskan tundra wookie.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
...snip...

if i didnt have a msf course tomorrow, id go to the bar and get you a pic of a real alaskan tundra wookie.

I'm not sure that I've seen one of those.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#31]
They're both equally important to me, though I ride much more than I shoot, too (almost every day) and end up spending a lot more money on the bike.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#32]
It's summer so for now it's my motorcycle, when the weather turns colder. under 40
I will get back into more shooting.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I've always been more into bikes than guns.  I have a lot more money tied up in guns than in my bikes though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top