Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/19/2009 5:43:44 PM EST
I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and was wondering who here owns one(CETME). The charging handle is a one stuff bugger to pull down. I have been doing some reading about his type of trouble and it seems that I might need to get a new bolt and some rollers.

Do any of you have any experience with this type of rifle? How do you check head space on this thing. Anyone have any pictures to help this(me) idiot with this stupid problem.

The gun is the CETME Sporter. Maybe some of you can post a picture of your CETME!!

Thanks fellas in advance!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:47:53 PM EST
I have a Century CETME, but it appears to be one of the good ones.

Never had any issues with it. It came with 10 CETME mags. Aluminum G3 mags fit, the steel ones are too wide.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:00:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:

Never had any issues with it. It came with 10 CETME mags. Aluminum G3 mags fit, the steel ones are too wide.

Any pics?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:00:56 PM EST
I've got one. The ejector pin is messed up and it jams sometimes, but only when I charge it by hand. Also, the sights aren't straight and I can't find a scope mount that sits straight.

Aside from that, it's a fun gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:08:16 PM EST
I've got one, I need to take it out and see if it still works
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:09:49 PM EST
I have heard they are hit and miss. Mine works great with decent ammo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:10:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:

Same here. I love it, very accurate, never jammed. Only problem is I cant pull off the stock when the lugs are out. Charging handle could be easier to pull too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:15:36 PM EST
You know, I bought one from a guy on gunbroker that professed to know nothing about CETMEs and it appeared in great shape in the posted photos. It was a BITCH to cock when I first got it from the previous owner. I did all the right things including thorough cleaning. It appeard to not have been shot enough to break in properly but I got sick of the Hurculean effort to cock it, so I bought a brand new bolt/bolt carrier assembly, installed it, checked headspace just to be sure and it now runs like a Swiss watch. IF you can afford it and IF you so desire, I would recommend you might do the same. I don't remember what I paid for the new bolt/bolt carrier assembly, but it wasn't a fortune and for me it was money well spent. I did so because the barrel appeared to have zero wear and the furniture was, indeed, excellent. I would recommend some of the German milsurplus ammo for your CETME if you can find it. Also, many report good success with the South African ammo. The CETME seems to be a rifle that people either love or hate; i.e., people either seem to say they like it very much OR that it is a piece of junk. As with all Century Arms rifles, you roll the dice and ..............just like with their Golani rifles and others.............you win or lose.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:18:40 PM EST
The south african was great ammo, too bad you cant hardly find it anymore
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:20:45 PM EST
CETME rifles are a great concept and well made rifle. If you can get one that the
monkeys at Century didn't totally FUBAR. I have two and like them both.
Used to be easy to get parts for but the parts are starting to dry up a bit.

The cocking handle just needs 2-300 cycles to break it in......usually.
With attention and the right parts most can be made to run well.
A few were so badly botched they can't be salvaged.

There used to be a web site dedicated to CETME rifles run by a guy
with the handle of Perro.....he lived in Vegas. Don't know if he is still
there or not. Not even sure if the website is still up. It did have a wealth
of info on CETME rifles and how to work on them.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:24:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By centurion:
You know, I bought one from a guy on gunbroker that professed to know nothing about CETMEs and it appeared in great shape in the posted photos. It was a BITCH to cock when I first got it from the previous owner. I did all the right things including thorough cleaning. It appeard to not have been shot enough to break in properly but I got sick of the Hurculean effort to cock it, so I bought a brand new bolt/bolt carrier assembly, installed it, checked headspace just to be sure and it now runs like a Swiss watch. IF you can afford it and IF you so desire, I would recommend you might do the same. I don't remember what I paid for the new bolt/bolt carrier assembly, but it wasn't a fortune and for me it was money well spent. I did so because the barrel appeared to have zero wear and the furniture was, indeed, excellent. I would recommend some of the German milsurplus ammo for your CETME if you can find it. Also, many report good success with the South African ammo. The CETME seems to be a rifle that people either love or hate; i.e., people either seem to say they like it very much OR that it is a piece of junk. As with all Century Arms rifles, you roll the dice and ..............just like with their Golani rifles and others.............you win or lose.

Thats great advice!! Where did you buy your parts?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:30:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 6:31:01 PM EST by dread-pirate]
The reason many cocking handles are a bitch to pull is that they have a cam type action, and the bolt carrier you have is too short, or it was welded too long, and the spacing is off, not sure if I am describing it right. You can put a washer in there that is the same diameter as the from of the bolt group that sits in the tube the cocking handle is on. In many cases this will allow you to cock it normally. Not sure I would fire it and it will most likely widen the bolt gap.

I think APEX has the bolt carrier group.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:38:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 6:45:56 PM EST by kaizer27]

Originally Posted By dread-pirate:
The reason many cocking handles are a bitch to pull is that they have a cam type action, and the bolt carrier you have is too short, or it was welded too long, and the spacing is off, not sure if I am describing it right. You can put a washer in there that is the same diameter as the from of the bolt group that sits in the tube the cocking handle is on. In many cases this will allow you to cock it normally. Not sure I would fire it and it will most likely widen the bolt gap.

I think APEX has the bolt carrier group.

apex does have complete new bolt carrier groups for 75 bucks...i know this because I just got delivered a new CETME.

OP, the tards at Century pack them with cosmo that I swear is filled with sand. Take it apart and clean the ever loving shit out of it, lube the piss out of it and then hand cycle 200 times or so. Then disassemble and clean again, etc. The parts need to wear together to a certain extent. This is all assuming the monkeys didn't grind your bolt and give you a fake bolt gap, then if that is right assuming the charging handle isn't giving you a fake bolt gap.

Also, the US made stock kits that century puts on these are total shit...there are no words for how shitty the stock is made and there are stories of them cracking while firing, etc.

apex cetme parts page:
https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/23

another great page:
http://www.robertrtg.com/g3.html

forum for the cetme, formerly Perros page:
http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

trigger work:
http://www.triggerwork.net/hk9xrifles.html
I havent even shot mine yet and I have 400 dollars worth of shit coming for it. Due to get fired next weekend though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:39:17 PM EST
Here's my CETME. This particular CETME lacks the standard punishing recoil most associate with the CETME/G3/HK91 family. This rifle is dead on accurate but is a real pig to clean.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:42:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 6:42:58 PM EST by centurion]
Originally Posted By 134thSIGNAL:
Originally Posted By centurion:

Thats great advice!! Where did you buy your parts?

www.robertrtg.com was the site that I bought from. I haven't dealt with them in awhile, so I don't know what their status is. Also, there is a dude on gunbroker.com that used to sell CETME parts who lives in Spain, but I don't remember his screen name. Hope this helps, amigo. Also, be aware of the federal regulations concerning FA parts if you start changing trigger groups or that sort of thing. There is a reason that the bottom front of the CETME receiver has a little plate welded there - for BATFE compliance. There used to be a lot of FA trigger groups floating around for these things apparently. Your CETME is almost certainly fully in compliance but I just wanted to mention that for caution's sake. You can easily see the little plate welded on the front bottom of your receiver that CAI put there when they manufactured it. Now if you can just solve the cocking problem, you should be good to go. I am certainly not the "world's authority" on CETMEs but I always try to learn enough to at least know my guns are 100 percent legal and how to properly maintain them.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:56:30 PM EST
I loved mine.

Until it exploded.

And I learned about Century.

Then I caught the BRD and the CETME's a decoy gun.

Top Top