Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Related to two US Presidents and supposedly have some Swedish royalty way back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Things to remember:

Everyone on Arfcom owns their house and cars outright.
Everyone makes $100,000+ a year.
Everyone has an IQ of over 140.
Everyone can shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with a Mosin-Nagant - standing.

I guess I need to add: They are all descended from royalty.

I don't think I qualify for more than one of those... I need to unfuck myself in a major way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Things to remember:

I don't think I qualify for more than one of those... I need to unfuck myself in a major way.

Being descended from royalty makes all of those possible, duh
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Username says it all.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#5]
In a portion of my Mother's ancestry were some of the de Stophams and Bartletts (or Barttelots) nobles from the Sussex area. Also some more Norman noble ancestors with the name D'Oyley.
Also there are a number of my more relatively recent ancestors that had the surname Starbuck, they were whalers from Nantucket.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
he is my father

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I am related to Old King Cole (Yes the Guy in the Nursery ryme)  But, Ironically not to King Arthur.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm somehow related to an Alsace nobleman going back to the 18th century.

What's that worth? Hmmm....

Survey says...not much.  I try and keep in mind that there have been people and organizations out there for decades that will gladly SELL old ladies

"Family histories" that pretty much makes EVERYONE of them some sort of descendant of royalty (A REALLY loose interpretation of the term helps ).

In the real world my family seems to have been mainly comprised of mid-level government/church employees in either France or Germany (Depending on

how the war went that year)

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. Of course, by that time the landsknechter no longer existed. The early modern military revolution had deprived the nobility of their military role, and they were forced to seek recognition and status as service nobility, ie. as administrators and government officials.
Edit: BTW the landsknechter were mostly cavalry not pikemen. Primary sources often confuse 16th century Swiss mercenaries with German landsknechter, because the mercenary armies contained both. The word knechter implies cavalry, because only cavalry service entailed noble status.

The plural of "Landsknecht" is "Landsknechte". Just thought I should point that out since German is my native language.

Also: If you think "Knecht" implies nobility, you're sadly mistaken.

You're right and I'm wrong. Landsknechte were mostly non-noble infantry and not nobility.

So descendants of German landsknechte don't get to be nobles, sorry about that. I hope I didn't crush anyone's delusions.

Edited for German spelling - first time for that in arfcom!
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Related to two US Presidents

That means you have some reptilian in the woodpile.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you think "Knecht" implies nobility, you're sadly mistaken.

What about the knights who say "Knecht"?

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm related to Baron von Lunchbox.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Royal blood? I am a fucking GODDESS! it doesn't get much higher than that!
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Considering the sheer number of "nations" Europe was comprised of over the time span since the Roman Empire, I'd imagine it is rarer NOT to be descended from royalty.  In fact, I'd argue it is virtually impossible for a white person of European descent to not have some form of royal lineage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Thats an awesome image.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#17]
On my father's side I am about 90% certain that I am descended from an unproven companion of this guy:

I am experiencing complications deriving from a language conflict concerning my surname. I do possess an accurate family history that extends back to ~1758.

On my mother's side it's quite a bit easier and I am 100% sure that we are descended from this guy:

We are at least related to this proven companion of the above through marriage and possibly blood:

I can trace with certainty direct descent on my mother's side all the way back to one generation before this old timer:

Suck it Masons!

ETA: Typo.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Considering the sheer number of "nations" Europe was comprised of over the time span since the Roman Empire, I'd imagine it is rarer NOT to be descended from royalty.  In fact, I'd argue it is virtually impossible for a white person of European descent to not have some form of royal lineage.

Yes and no. The reality is that if somehow you are connected to royalty at any point it becomes MUCH easier to trace lineage as there might actually be records. It was relatively easy to trace my family as they were aristocrats into the early 20th century. Then we had the joys of the world wars, nazis, and then communism... Yay...

No one cared about keeping records of the commoners in most of continental europe, though I understand it is much easier in England.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Mother  and sister are big time DAR. They found that we're descended from three of signers of the Magna Carta which were all barons.  Now, if that means anything......
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes.

And if it irritates and annoys  you that our family's genealogy is so well researched and documented , well . . .   tough shit .
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Given the origins of my surname it would not surprise me if I did have some distant link to nobillity, but I have not been able to trace anything that far back.  That would require someone to go from town to town and check records and such.  But in any case, I have no title of nobility, nor am I the potential or prospective inheritor of one, nor do I have claim to any other titles.  No one in the last few generations has had any of those things, either.  If offered a title and I was not prohibited from accepting it by our laws, I would of course accept the title, but the laws regarding the granting of titles in most countries makes such a thing most unlikely, even if I were to be in a situation where someone might think to offer me a title of nobility, which is also most unlikely.

An odd question to ask on a predominantly American forum, since very few Americans bear titles, have claim to titles, or may inherit titles, and a large majority of Americans eschew nobility and royalty (whether or not they are correct to do so is, of course, debatable).
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Given the origins of my surname it would not surprise me if I did have some distant link to nobillity, but I have not been able to trace anything that far back.  That would require someone to go from town to town and check records and such.  But in any case, I have no title of nobility, nor am I the potential or prospective inheritor of one, nor do I have claim to any other titles.  No one in the last few generations has had any of those things, either.  If offered a title and I was not prohibited from accepting it by our laws, I would of course accept the title, but the laws regarding the granting of titles in most countries makes such a thing most unlikely, even if I were to be in a situation where someone might think to offer me a title of nobility, which is also most unlikely.

An odd question to ask on a predominantly American forum, since very few Americans bear titles, have claim to titles, or may inherit titles, and a large majority of Americans eschew nobility and royalty (whether or not they are correct to do so is, of course, debatable).

Bloody Peasant!
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We have done geneology back to Scotland.

Related to both William Wallace and Robert the Bruce.

Hi cousin. I've got Robert the Bruce back there as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm related to Adam on my dad's side
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Dutch Nobility and Shipping Leaders
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you think "Knecht" implies nobility, you're sadly mistaken.

What about the knights who say "Knecht"?

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Knecht" at will to old ladies.

Roger the shrubber is that you?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Having the same surname as nobility doesn't mean a damned thing.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#30]
My blood is merely red....and wet.

My only claim to fame.....is my huge dick.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Things to remember:

Only one of those applies to me, and just barely. It's also the least useful -apparently.

My grandfather participated in the Bataan Death March and was present when JFK was killed. That's the most interesting aspect of my family history that I know of.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#33]
The Yorks of "War of the Roses" fame via my grandmother. I believe my Grandfathers side also had some British royalty. And, supposedly, we're related to the Vanderbilts by marriage.

All mere trivia unless someone comes a knockin' to offer me an estate....
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Somewhere in the line had a couple of relatives hung for stealing horses and another one shot cheating at cards.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Not royalty, but descended from Governor Bradford of the Plymouth Colony.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Given the origins of my surname it would not surprise me if I did have some distant link to nobillity, but I have not been able to trace anything that far back. That would require someone to go from town to town and check records and such. But in any case, I have no title of nobility, nor am I the potential or prospective inheritor of one, nor do I have claim to any other titles. No one in the last few generations has had any of those things, either. If offered a title and I was not prohibited from accepting it by our laws, I would of course accept the title, but the laws regarding the granting of titles in most countries makes such a thing most unlikely, even if I were to be in a situation where someone might think to offer me a title of nobility, which is also most unlikely.

Bloody Peasant!

Commoner, not a peasant.  I personally have no problem with nobility and monarchy as such.  It may even be preferable to have those institutions in at least some cases.  I'm definitely part of a small minority of Americans on that note.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#38]
My mother was from the "Bourbon" family (but married a commoner and denounced the Catholic faith, from which her family cut off all ties with her).
My father was the "commoner".
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Commoner, not a peasant.  I personally have no problem with nobility and monarchy as such.  It may even be preferable to have those institutions in at least some cases.  I'm definitely part of a small minority of Americans on that note.

It is certainly a small minority. However, you may find a monarchist here and there.

Others sometimes ask why I believe in a patriarchal monarchy. I just ask them to look around themselves and think for awhile about what they see.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#40]
When you go back far enough most people have nobility and/or royalty in their bloodline.

I'm related to various royal bloodlines including Czech, Swedish, Danish, English and French. There's also quite a bit of lower nobility as well.

When you find a royal bloodline in your ancestry it also becomes easier to trace it further back since there's more likely to be written sources. The oldest person found in my bloodline was a christian man who was born in Babylon and fled to France when the Muslims invaded. This was in the 7th century. His daughter married into French nobility which is the reason he's mentioned in the sources.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I am the spawn of God.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I am a descdedant of an Exchequer to the Vatican on my father's side, he held a noble title, but I'm not sure if it was hereditary or not. My mother's family I'm not sure, I'll have to ask. She is a DAR, so I'm sure she must have a fairly decent genealogy she could trace. My 5th great uncle on her side of the family is Wild Bill Cody.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Dirt farmers & peasants as far back as I've been able to trace. Ancestors fought in the Revolution, and there's an old family rumor that we're related to Ethan Allen but I haven't seen the documents. Great aunt is active DAR so she'd probably know for sure, if I cared enough to ask.

Royalty? Not a lick
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#44]
My Great Great Grandparents were Sicilian nobles. During the Napoleonic Wars they lived in exile in Naples Italy. I also have a very famous movie actor cousin.  All that and 99 cents will get me a double cheeseburger on the Dollar menu.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#45]
some swedish nobility as well... but frankly I think 80% of people in sweden or from sweden probably have some swedish nobility in them...
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Mom mother's side is traced back to some sort of Bavarian royalty, no clue about my fathers...
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Everyone has noble blood if you go far enough back.

Take Genghis Khan, 1 in every 200 men in this world are direct descendants from his male line, i.e. the son of a son of a son.  If you take just the asian population it's something like 1 in 12.

That doesn't count the people related through a female branch.  Son of a son of a son X 100 more times is a pretty strict requirement.  If we could track in some other way than hooking onto the Y chromosome, we'd probably find that 99% of the asian population have some connection to him.

For anyone of European heritage it's Charlemagne that is generally used as the measuring stick with about the same rates.

And except for a few very rare people who are 100% pure from some very small and isolated population, everyone is related to everyone by not very many generations

http://www.stat.yale.edu/~jtc5/papers/Ancestors.pdf

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2010/03/you-are-probably-descended-from-charlemagne-and-other-royalty.html
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#48]
My grandmother was from a wealthy German family. She was born in the late 1800's. Her mother was supposedly a German baroness and her father was supposedly a blue blood. His last name started with "Von". I have a book in German Die Deutshclandreise de Arion from NY from 1908 where he appears with Teddy Roosevelt in photos.

Noble titles were abolished in Germany in 1919.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#49]

From Hamlet, of course
:

KING CLAUDIUS
Now, Hamlet, where's Polonius?

HAMLET
At supper.

KING CLAUDIUS
At supper! where?

HAMLET
Not where he eats, but where he is eaten: a certain
convocation of politic worms are e'en at him. Your
worm is your only emperor for diet: we fat all
creatures else to fat us, and we fat ourselves for
maggots: your fat king and your lean beggar is but
variable service, two dishes, but to one table:
that's the end.

KING CLAUDIUS
Alas, alas!

HAMLET
A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a
king, and cat of the fish that hath fed of that worm.

KING CLAUDIUS
What dost you mean by this?

HAMLET
Nothing but to show you how a king may go a
progress through the guts of a beggar.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#50]
On my mother's side, they originally came to England during the Norman Invasion in 1066. Somewhere we are distantly related to the current Royal Family in England. Some distant cousin's family still lives in a castle in Madresfield, England.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top