Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2001 3:42:11 PM EDT
I for one, have not. I had the three rules of gun safety drilled into my thick skull by an NRA instructor. Well, it stuck. Never even came close.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Had one...  

but i followed the most important rule of all..

never point your firearm at anything that you are not willing to destroy.

thus nobody was hurt.  since then i've had a lot of training and don't anticipate another AD in this lifetime.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Does a slam fire count?  For a while my M17S would fire two shot burts, finally figured out it was the ammo.  Didn't do it in my other guns, ammo was PMC by the way.  Except for the fact of slam fires being dangerous, it was kinda cool.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Never had one myself but I have seen three and they all scared the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My one and only AD was a slamfire.  I had some of that UMC 7.62x39 and was out plinking with my sks when it began to let of 5-6 shot burts.  I quickly stopped using it and put it away for a while.  I was out 2 weeks ago and was single loading each round to dispose of the remaining 15 rounds that I had left.  I was showing a friend how to load them and was going to let him shoot the remaining rounds since he had never fired an sks before.  
Me: "and you put the round in the magazine like this *puts round in gun* and then you pull charging handle like this *pulls and lets fly the chargin handle* *boom*.  
Him: "Holy Sh|t, what happened?"
Me: "Uhh, it slam fired with this crappy ammo"

I was thankfully very aware of the direction my muzzle was pointed and had it downrange.  If I had not followed those critically important gun safety rules someone might have gotten seriously hurt or killed.  After that, I told him I would carefully load and shoot each round and let him shoot some wolf ammo instead.  Make no mistake about it, follow those safety rules to the T.  And don't use UMC ammo in autoloading firearms[:D]

Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had one,which went down range, while trying to clear a jam from a .22 pistol, also had the guy next to me put an AD about 6 inches from my foot.  I bet I jumped about 6 feet in the air.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Only had one.  I was trying to cock a double action revolver and my thumb sliped off the hammer spur.  Weapon was pointed down range so there was no harm done.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have never had one but I did come close once!

I was shooting over my buddies house he lived on 15 acres. we had a nice hillside and a dug out in front of it that was approved by the fire Chief  etc....Anyway This was about when I was 18 and I was shooting my Ruger 10/22. we must have put a good 500rds through it that afternoon. we were in the midst of shooting and some local kids walked into the woods were we were and I stopped firing and put my rifle on safe. The kids were not near my back stop but were coming up at an angle to it so I thought it would be a good idea to seize fire. My buddy and I decide we were not going to give a show and tell class and or let these kids shoot with oout there parents consent etc. so I pulled the mag out of my gun and put it in the case and we left. We through our stuff in my friends trunk and went out to some other friends etc. About 4 hours later my buddy drops me off at home and I grab my case and crap and go in my house. My step father is home and he asked me which of my guns I shot today. I told him I shot the 10/22. Well, he asks me if he can check it out because he hadn't seen it since I had put a new Ramline folding stock on it and a scope. So i pull it out of the case and he's foundling it,etc."He even asked my if it was empty before I handed it to him" I said yes, because I had remember taking out the clip. so he's checking out the scope and aims at the corner of the wall and asks me if its ok to dry fire it and I said that I was going to have to clean it and dry fire it anyway but I would prefer not to because i don't know how well it stood up to dry fire. He said that It was probably a good idea not to and handed me back the rifle. well I go up to my room and start getting ready to clean it and first thing I do is pull the bolt back to lock it open so I can get at it to clean. Well, as soon as I did it ejected the round in the chamber! OOPS! My heart started pounding because I knew how close I was to an "AD" I never told my step father because he was a real prick and would have locked my guns up. Ever since that day I'm the epitome of firearms safety double check chamber etc.

John    
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never had an AD in over 35 years of handling weapons.  This includes military service and law enforcement service as well as just being an avid shooter.

I consider myself very fortunate and even the safest gun handlers still can fall prey to an AD.

Enough cannot be said about learning and following the rules of safe gun handling.

As Col. Jeff Cooper always says - these rules are designed so that even if you happen to break one - if you follow the others you will not have an accident.

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Had one! In was with an AR-15, too! And it was a deeply religious experience.

All I can say is that I remembered Rule No 1 - never point a weapon at something you do not wish to see obliterated, or something like that.

So anyway, no harm, no foul.[BD]

Eric The(Wisened)Hun
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Never with live ammo. Once with a blank in an M16.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Had one with a 37mm flare launcher.

Loaded it up, slamed it shut and BOOOOM.
Scared the living piss out of me.  Thank god it was pointed in the air outside.

I'm religiosly safe with my firearms.  That just showed me you can never ever be safe enough.

Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I have not had an AD

Just lucky I guess!!!

It's "ALWAYS LOADED"
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#14]
ive had a slame fire once and i almost wet my pants
slam fire with a winchester 97
also once had a 1911 go FA some one ground just a little to much from the sear. the guy whos gun i was using when that one happened quickly fixed that
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Never.  26 years of shooting and counting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't, knock on wood.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#17]
One time. S&W 686,125gr. .357mag JHP in the living room, watching TV. Right past TV, through wall, into neighbor's lawn. Never felt so stupid in my whole life. Will NEVER do it again. Nearly wet myself.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Never.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't myself but I was present when my friend had one. Thank God he had it pointed in a safe direction. There was five of us gatherd around him when it went off. Scared hell out of all of us.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Not me! I've had several. The good thing is, the weapon was always pointed in safe direction.
I to am religiously safe but realize that rule no 1 is no 1 for a reason.

1. Never point a firearm at something you are not willing to see destroyed.

Also have good buddy who is Sherriffs deputy and former Marine SRT member and was with him when he had one too. Never think it can't happen to you.

Thank goodness there are many sensible gun owners out there such as all the fine people in this forum who care enough to discuss these topics.

muz, out
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I had two!(but did'nt get DQ'd). Presures for speed (IPSC) If you want to win, sooner or later it will happen, It's just a matter of time.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Depends on how you define "accidental discharge." The loose way I define it is ANYTIME the gun discharges before you want it to. I've had several. All have gone down range and many have hit the paper or target, none have hit closer than about 25' from me or gone over the berm. Indoors I've never had one hit the ceiling nor the floor, or walls. Also none have gone off during a "cease fire."

I remember one was because I was practicing a draw from the holster and single shot on target. A friend and I then swapped 1911s. The first time I drew his gun I put my finger on the trigger just as my arm straightened completely. His gun has a 1.5 to 2.0 trigger and mine has a 3.0 to 3.5 trigger. I bobbled slightly and the gun AD'd. Went right through the 9 ring in about .6 of a second. I looked at my friend and said "I don't believe that" and he said "I don't either."
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Never have and never will!
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Just one, hopefully that's all ever [:)].

Was playing at the range with my nearly new FEG PJK 9HP after having removed the mag safety.  The trigger was not resetting properly, and I had to pull it a couple of times to get it to reset.  The last time (before I replaced the trigger spring and fixed this) I pulled the trigger twice, but didn't think it had reset, so I gave it one more squeeze...boom.  
Now I was at the range, gun was pointed (at target which it hit), but was still AD in that it shouldn't have happened.  Lesson learned, safely thank goodness.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Just one, hopefully that's all ever [:)].

Was playing at the range with my nearly new FEG PJK 9HP after having removed the mag safety.  The trigger was not resetting properly, and I had to pull it a couple of times to get it to reset.  The last time (before I replaced the trigger spring and fixed this) I pulled the trigger twice, but didn't think it had reset, so I gave it one more squeeze...boom.  
Now I was at the range, gun was pointed (at target which it hit), but was still AD in that it shouldn't have happened.  Lesson learned, safely thank goodness.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#27]
[size=6]NEIN!!!!![/size=6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#28]
count me in as having 2 stupid discharges!
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Not yet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Not have had a single one, the rules of safe weapons handling have been drilled to my mind since i was a small child.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Never.  Had a Colt 6601 double during rapid prone at the 300 yard line.  Second round miss target completely.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, ditto on the double action revolver problem.  Fully extended arms, and I still wound up on the paper, but it was not anywhere near where I should have been on the paper.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Had one better then a AD/ND. Until 1999 I used to think that only a total idiot was capable of discharging their firearm accidentally. I have always observed all 4 rules without exception. When I teach I won't even cover students with my air pistol and with this way of thinking I was SURE I could never have an AD/ND.

Well I was sitting in an advanced instructor class with an instructor that I look up to as one of the BEST modern instructors around. This guy is as close to perfect as they come. His firearms handling in class is 110%

Well just before a break one day he told us a story about him having an AD in an academy setting and my jaw hit the floor. I was shocked mainly because as good as he is he had an AD and that meant that I could have one as well.

This bothered me at first but soon I realized that him relaying this story would help me to NEVER become complacent.

Thanks Ed for one of the best lessons you ever taught me. It can happen to anyone and it will if you let up for a second.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I have never personally had an AD but I have seen a few, one of which sent a .45 Hydra-Shok into my leg.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Growing up, my dad would chew me a new arse if he caught me pointing my .22 rifle or 20 ga. shotgun at anything not intended for destruction.  Looking back, I give him all the credit for teaching me about safe gunhandling.  I have completed a couple of classes, including a CCW course and a full semester of Gun Handling as an elective in college.  Although dad wasn't a sophisticated trainer, he was spot on about the fundamentals.  Thanks dad.

Just last Friday, I stopped by the local range where I took the CCW course a few years back.  I have been shooting at a different range lately, and just hapened to be in the vicinity.  The owner of the range loaded up 10 rounds of .40 in a mag for his personal Para Ord P16-40, and handed me a set of eyes and ears.  I took it into the range area, inserted the mag into the gun, and commenced to have 2 AD in 10 rounds!  I was focussed on the target when this occurred, and the rounds were actually decent shots.  Nevertheless, I didn't like the fact that the trigger was so light that I accidently discharged 2 rounds when I never intended to.  Talk about a hair trigger!  Uncool.      
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Nope - not YET.

But then I'm anal about gun safety.

And I refuse to shoot or handle guns around anyone who isn't.

Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nope - not YET.

But then I'm anal about gun safety.

And I refuse to shoot or handle guns around anyone who isn't.

View Quote

gman,

Based on some of those scores at the garand match Saturday, are you sure that about half of your shots weren't actually AD?  ;^)  
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I've not ever had an accidental discharge of a firearm.................yet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Ever Since I was around guns( air gun included) I seen SAD (Stupid Acciodentl Discharge)
I had one with my first rifle, a Calico with a 50 round mag. I was at the range and remember I counted 50 before I turn my head (gun still pointed down range) to talk to my friend. than BOOOM!! I never knew 9mm carbine can be that loud.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#40]
I have had lots of AD, but my wife does not mind. [:(!]

Oh wait, are talking about firearms?? Sorry.[:P]

Actually one, but not sure if it counts. The damn trigger on my .22 appeared stuck. You know what happens next. You keep tapping the trigger thinking damn why is it stuck than all of a sudden bang. As always it was pointed down range so it was not a big deal. I have seen other wave it around going, "look, my trigger is stuck".
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
gman,

Based on some of those scores at the garand match Saturday, are you sure that about half of your shots weren't actually AD?  ;^)  
View Quote

Ouch.

Actually, I WISH that were the case.

The way my M1 was short stroking, IF the rifle fired, it was cuz I MEANT for it to.

All I'm gonna need to do to get my scores to go up by 10 pts is just to get the rifle cycling correctly.

So.....what's YOUR excuse??? [}:D]

Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Depends on how you define AD.

I have had several incidents in which I discharged the weapon before I meant to.  In most cases I attribute this to not being familiar with the light trigger pull of the weapon.

Once, as a child, I fired my dad's ancient Remington pump-action .22 prematurely.  I had held the trigger down while pumping the action.  That rifle had no disconnector, so it fired to my surprise when I completed a pump stroke.

In all cases the weapon was pointed in a safe direction.  I consider these events to be improperly controlled discharges, not accidental.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I have never had one but a buddy was showing me his father's .20 gaufe one day when I was a kid and he shot his matress.  It was a HUGE hole, and stuffing went everywhere!  It was some really light birdshot, didn't even make it to the floor.  I am sorry to say this, but i still laugh when I think about the look on his face, and the fact that we tried to hide it.

ron
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By California Kid:
I consider these events to be improperly controlled discharges, not accidental.
View Quote

We have a lawyer among us. [}:D]

Cal Kid -

Please define "is." [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#45]
I've never had one, no...and hopefully I never will.  I have heard a few bad things about titanium firing pins, so I'd rather have a heavy slamfire-prone pin that hasn't slammed on me yet, than a possibly unrealiable one when I need it.

I did, however, have to load my AR at my home the other day when I went out..oh you know, saving my friend's life.  I opened up the action, put a magazine in, and tripped the bolt release.  It was at this point, in my own home, that I realized "...ya know, that could have slamfired and I would have had a lot of sheet rock work to do".  At this point, I will only load my gun outside my home unless it's a burglary situation.  In that case, I will happily push that bolt catch...I'll just aim the barrel at the bad guy, problem solved [;)]

[i]Landshark..."who?"...Candygram[/i]
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Never had one!
Lynn [pistol]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#47]
An honest-to-christ negilgent discharge is the absolute BEST most eye-opening safety training experience you will ever have - as long as no one is injured.  It [b][i]will[/i][/b] put the fear of Yaweh in you.  And you will never (hopefully) feel that stupid again.  Been there, done that.  Thank Whoever, I followed Rule #1.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.......
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#48]
I've witnessed a few, but haven't had one yet.  My range buddy is my five year-old son, and I hope to never demonstrate unsafe gun handling in front of him.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Never[heavy]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top