Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:08:09 AM EDT
I am almost ready to buy some night vision goggles, and would like some input
from people who have them.

I have decided I want Gen 2 goggles with no magnification.
I can't afford Gen 3, and want better than Gen 1.

I prefer goggles to a weapon sight or monocular, since my EO Tech is NV compatible.
I also have plans for a Trijicon TA31f down the road, and it is also NV compatible.

What do you guys have, and are you happy with them? What can I expect from the Gen 2 goggles,
and are they that much better than Gen. 1? Is there a particular brand that is better
than another? Any brand to avoid?

Thanks for the responses.

Snerd
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT

I know some of you guys have NVG's.

What do you have and how do you like them?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have gen 1 goggles while they are nice to see at night the only problem is when you try to be quick and move they limit visibility and depth perception and are clumsey. If you want somthing to shoot with I would recomend a monocular mounted on the AR. I just bought a 512 eotech while NV would be nice I did not think it practical to use with the goggles. Now that I think of it maybe I should have bought a 552 eotech just to try it out.I do have 2 ar's so maybe I will get both  if I get the money.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Co- worker came back from Iraq (NG) and said that he first used PVS-5 Night Vision Goggles, said they had a range of about 400 yds.  Then he got PVS-7B, then PVS-7D Night Vision Goggles, said they were much better, the 7Ds seemed to have better resolution.  Said his security team were issued PVS-14D NODs. Might try this board member for NODs, he seems to have a very good rep here:
Victor Di Cosola
Tactical Night Vision Company
[email protected]
(909) 659-2842

or

MSTN
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got Gen2 monos and goggles. There is quite a variation from plain old worn out gen2 to modern high end gen2 stuff. Both are perfectly usable IMO for most things. Gen3 has better gain  out in the middle of nowhere and typically better resolution, butfor many many miles around any city there is plenty of residual light. If money is a concern I say go for some decent mil-spec gen2 stuff or built from gen2 stuff. Stay away from anything that is from russia that claims to be gen2, it will suck.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've got Gen2 monos and goggles. There is quite a variation from plain old worn out gen2 to modern high end gen2 stuff. Both are perfectly usable IMO for most things. Gen3 has better gain  out in the middle of nowhere and typically better resolution, butfor many many miles around any city there is plenty of residual light. If money is a concern I say go for some decent mil-spec gen2 stuff or built from gen2 stuff. Stay away from anything that is from russia that claims to be gen2, it will suck.

Does that mean that all of the Russian made stuff is garbage??

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top