Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/14/2006 9:45:01 AM EDT
This may sound cold hearted but I don't subscribe to this Valentine's Day bullshit. It is a holiday conjured up by the likes of Hallmark, Russel Stover, and Zales. It is fucked up how much this dumb holiday has come to matter so much to women. The last two Valentine's days I've told the GF that I won't be celebrating it. That means no gift, no card, no "happy valentine's day" in the morning. I gave her my reasons and after some initial dissapointment, she actually accepted this. Since then I've moved on to a new lady and this is/was our first valentine's day. I gave her the same spiel, and lo and behold, she had the same reaction... Initial dissapointment followed by acceptance of the inevitable. She actually agreed that it is just a silly holiday. However this time I really gone and done it, because she wants to be "normal" and be able to tell her coworkers about some romantic shit she did on valentine's day, she's taking ME out to dinner and not the other way around. So basically this whole thing has worked out perfectly. Anyone else fed up with going through the motions of valentine's day and finally laid down the law. Poll coming
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:51:10 AM EDT
I refuse to, other than to wish Mrs Goon a happy Valentine's day, if I remember it's Valentines day. We both determined early on we'd not be observing this assinine, made up day to
throw away money.

Christmas already has most of that covered the way it's been twisted around.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:52:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:
I refuse to, other than to wish Mrs Goon a happy Valentine's day, if I remember it's Valentines day. We both determined early on we'd not be observing this assinine, made up day to
throw away money.

I agree. It's total and utter BS.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:52:47 AM EDT
Just another way to get money out of your pocket by making you feel guilty.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:54:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DocBrooks:
This may sound cold hearted but I don't subscribe to this Valentine's Day bullshit. It is a holiday conjured up by the likes of Hallmark, Russel Stover, and Zales. It is fucked up how much this dumb holiday has come to matter so much to women. The last two Valentine's days I've told the GF that I won't be celebrating it. That means no gift, no card, no "happy valentine's day" in the morning. I gave her my reasons and after some initial dissapointment, she actually accepted this. Since then I've moved on to a new lady and this is/was our first valentine's day. I gave her the same spiel, and lo and behold, she had the same reaction... Initial dissapointment followed by acceptance of the inevitable. She actually agreed that it is just a silly holiday. However this time I really gone and done it, because she wants to be "normal" and be able to tell her coworkers about some romantic shit she did on valentine's day, she's taking ME out to dinner and not the other way around. So basically this whole thing has worked out perfectly. Anyone else fed up with going through the motions of valentine's day and finally laid down the law. Poll coming

Holy shit that's brilliant. THANKS!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:58:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 10:00:25 AM EDT by Spade]
The church pulled it from the calendar back in 1969 (before it was a minor thing anyway). Thus it is now totally a contrived Hallmark holiday.

Fuck that. Girl wants me to do something for it she can petition Rome to put it back on the list.

If you're not a Catholic, then you're totally off the hook, imo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:00:23 AM EDT
A once meaningful holiday corrupted by cheapskates who blame the hapiness of others for their misery.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:05:14 AM EDT
It's not a real holiday, its a Hallmark holiday, like you said. It's completely pointless. I actually get a little irritated if my husband mentions getting me anything for it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:05:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ScienceDork:
It's not a real holiday, its a Hallmark holiday, like you said. It's completely pointless. I actually get a little irritated if my husband mentions getting me anything for it.

+100000000000
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:08:33 AM EDT
Who fuckin cares? I've got more pressing concerns than whether it's a made up holiday.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:12:03 AM EDT
Depends on your other.

If your other considers it a sacred holiday requiring elaborate gifts. BS!

If your other just has fun with it as you do. It is nice.

I'm cooking her dinner, I got her a couple little thoughtful things...none though of as "required" by her
She got me some gifts, nothing big, and we will have a nice little dinner.

I like it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:14:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gardenWeasel:
A once meaningful holiday corrupted by cheapskates who blame the hapiness of others for their misery.

Hey, money doesn't buy happiness but it sure makes misery easier to deal with. With that said, the new girl from Kyrgyzstan gave me a little kiss today. Yeah me! She's a hottie too. Love that Russian accent. MJD
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:26:16 AM EDT
I'm glad I have a wife who doesn't want me to waste money on cards, candy or flowers...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:28:06 AM EDT
bullshit holiday.

Only thing worth remembering today was when a bunch of bootleggers got killed by a bunch of other bootleggers. I always tell people happy Massacre day
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:32:13 AM EDT
March 20th is now officially "Steak & a few Blowjobs Day."

Simple, effective and self-explanatory, this holiday has been created so you ladies can have a day to show your man just how much you love him. No cards, no flowers, no special nights on the town. The name of the holiday explains it all, just a steak and a few BJs. That's it. This twin pairing of Valentine's Day and Steak & a few BJs Day will usher in a new age of love as men everywhere will try MUCH harder in February to ensure a more memorable March! It's like a perpetual love machine.

This holiday just makes more sense to me and I'm a chick. I'd rather eat steak and enjoy stuff with my guy than make him waste money on flowers and crap. Screw fancy dinners...let's go shootin. Screw cards & candy it just creates clutter and gives me cavities. I'd rather get a sixpack.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:37:57 AM EDT
I support it. It's fun for people dating or newlyweds. I used to enjoy it when I was single.

Some of you guys need to soften up a bit. Geez, have some non-gun related fun in life!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:40:02 AM EDT
Just another way to have a man and his money separated - BY FORCE, under the guise of "love".

There is a reason it is called "VD"!!!

The only bullshit thing worse than valentine's day, is the "rule of thumb" that a guy needs to spend AT LEAST two month's salary for an engagement ring.

I say - FUCK YOU - buy your own damn ring!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:40:27 AM EDT
Any holiday that promotes my getting laid by the Mrs is OK in my book.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:43:08 AM EDT
I don't really support it. I think most holidays should be celebrated daily or not at all. By this I mean show the person you love them everyday, be thankful everyday etc...And I'm not talking about gifts!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:43:59 AM EDT
I don't support any commercial holiday that plays on the stupidity of women to rake in billions of dollars for companies at the expense of idiot men who throw their money away for it.

I do, however, applaud the person, or persons, who thought up the idea and made lots of money over peoples' stupidity.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:44:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cheaptrickfan:
Just another way to have a man and his money separated - BY FORCE, under the guise of "love".

The only bullshit thing worse than valentine's day, is the "rule of thumb" that a guy needs to spend AT LEAST two month's salary for an engagement ring.

Bitter much?

...Dang!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:44:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 10:47:56 AM EDT by w4klr]
It's bullshit, but I'm not sleeping in the dog house.

ETA: I don't feel forced to, but I love showering her with gifts and affection to begin with
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:45:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Concrete_Brunette:

Simple, effective and self-explanatory, this holiday has been created so you ladies can have a day to show your man just how much you love him. No cards, no flowers, no special nights on the town. The name of the holiday explains it all, just a steak and a few BJs. That's it. This twin pairing of Valentine's Day and Steak & a few BJs Day will usher in a new age of love as men everywhere will try MUCH harder in February to ensure a more memorable March! It's like a perpetual love machine.

This holiday just makes more sense to me and I'm a chick. I'd rather eat steak and enjoy stuff with my guy than make him waste money on flowers and crap. Screw fancy dinners...let's go shootin. Screw cards & candy it just creates clutter and gives me cavities. I'd rather get a sixpack.

First question, are you really a chick? If so, are you single? It's not everyday you hear anyone make so much sense. MJD
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:47:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cheaptrickfan:

Damn, didn't know about that rule... but shit, I like your style!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:48:08 AM EDT

There's going to have to be pictures before I believe one word of this post...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:48:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 10:50:10 AM EDT by Hydguy]
Fuck VD (hmmm....)

Bullshit contrived holiday, like Mother's day, father's day, grandparent's day, friend's day, and so on.

Fuck 'em all....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:49:11 AM EDT
yes i really am a chick and yeah i'm single
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:49:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 10:52:07 AM EDT by scuba_ed]
I'm a Jew, and I bring fresh flowers to my wife every Friday--if Valentines day falls in the midldle of the week, I bring a rose home to her also.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:49:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
Geez, have some non-gun related fun in life!

No.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:50:01 AM EDT

This holiday just makes more sense to me and I'm a chick. I'd rather eat steak and enjoy stuff with my guy than make him waste money on flowers and crap. Screw fancy dinners...let's go shootin. Screw cards & candy it just creates clutter and gives me cavities. I'd rather get a sixpack. hr

There's going to have to be pictures before I believe one word of this post...

www.myspace.com/veronica111
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:50:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 10:50:46 AM EDT by scuba_ed]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:50:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 10:51:55 AM EDT by Spade]

Oh no, here it comes.

[insert ammo fort]

Also, fix your myspace page.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:52:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

Oh no, here it comes.

[insert ammo fort]

Also, fix your myspace page.

yeah i've already been warned about the harrassment i'm sure i'm about to recieve...it's ok i own steel toes
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:54:15 AM EDT
What about "Sweetest Day"??? That one was made by a card company, at least that the rumor around Cleveland, where it started
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:57:01 AM EDT
You are all right, BS day requireing me to spend money on stupid shit that I don't want to spend money on. However my mother gets mad if I dont' get her a card so I at least got one for her.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:58:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cheaptrickfan: <snip>

Bitter much?
...Dang!

No, not at all. Still with the first wife and (after she dies or leaves me) plan on NEVER getting married again. Why? Take your pick of reasons... It just gives me too much joy and love and warm fuzzy feelings that I never want to ruin my memories from the first marriage. or - No other woman can match what this woman was to me in my life. or - <insert your gushy mushy crap here>

Bottom line is this... one marriage per life span is all I can or will tolerate. Of course, if Lisa Najeeb Halaby (aka - Her Majesty Queen Noor) were to become a widow and called me for her next husband, wellllll now wilbur......

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:01:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

Geez, have some non-gun related fun in life!

No.

Lighten up, Francis...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:09:22 PM EDT
I know Vday is a corporate BS holiday~ but I have to admit that since I've never had a special Vday in my 30 years on this planet, I always hope this year it'll be different. It seems to me that if you love someone you should show them all year round~~ and if youre one of those guys who have "trouble showing your feelings" this is the perfect holiday to do something about that. It doesn't mean buying cards, flowers or spending money-it should come from the heart. IF IT GETS YOU LAID HOW BAD CAN IT BE?? If it matters to your partner it should matter to you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:01:13 PM EDT
This twin pairing of Valentine's Day and Steak & a few BJs Day will usher in a new age of love as men everywhere will try MUCH harder in February to ensure a more memorable March! It's like a perpetual love machine.
________________________________________________________________________________________

I whole-heartedly support this idea.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:10:18 PM EDT
Up against the wall, you mugs....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:20:50 PM EDT
Bah! Humbug!
I don't do Christmas, WTF would I put up with an even more BS holiday like Valentine's Day?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:28:42 PM EDT
I don't need a guy to spend mega money on me for V Day. My bf pays for things when we go out, so I don't want him to be extravagant. A card, some quality time together, and dinner is fine for me.

He has been uber stressed lately, and I've been very selfish. I thought he was unhappy, but he has a lot on his plate right now so things make a little more sense now.

We're celebrating tomorrow because he had a class tonight. I'm waiting on him to call me. His e-mail to me before class said he had a really bad day, so I'm more worried about him than getting a damn dozen roses--waste of money.

I may have gone overboard, but he spends a fair amount of money when we go out, so I got him an iPod shuffle and loaded all his favorite tunes on it.

Other than that, it's really more important to let someone know you appreciate them everyday -- not just today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:30:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 4:34:20 PM EDT by ICEAGE]
It started in Roman times dude, not with Hallmark. Google it and try to find the true story on how it got started.

To be honest I dont like Holidays, MDay, FDay, Christmas, Birthdays and Vd. Bah I wish my family didnt celebrate it. I hate picking out cards and presents and receiving them.

I do it for my family of course though.
Top Top