Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2016 7:30:24 PM EDT
Experiences?  Did you like it?

When I lived in Japan I made an earnest effort TWICE to eat that stuff.  Tried mixing in mustard the second time. Wasn't happening.  At all.

-inspired by the 'durian' thread.

Post your experiences with that stuff here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Natto, hot white rice, sliced green onions, w/ hot tea in a bowl.   I love it.

BTW....to prepare the natto, I mix a bit of mustard with soy sauce.  Some people will even add an egg.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Natto, hot white rice, sliced green onions, w/tea in a bowl.   I love it.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

With tea?   Never even considered...   Have you tried plain?   If so, did you like it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Plain....nope.  Always mixed it with bit of mustard (or not) and sliced green onions (or not) and soy sauce.  But, without the rice.....seems pointless.

The tea hasn't been added to the above pic, yet.  The hot tea cuts the "slimyness."   But, if you don't want the tea....it's still GTG.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/Food/food_nato_lcon.jpg

Plain....nope.  Always mixed it with bit of mustard (or not) and sliced green onions (or not) and soy sauce.  But, without the rice.....seems pointless.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz55/ma96782/Food/natto-how-1.jpg

The tea hasn't been added to the above pic, yet.  The hot tea cuts the "slimyness."   But, if you don't want the tea....it's still GTG.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

That second pic looks quite palatable.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I love it!

Mix the mustard/soy sauce packet and stir it in. Eat with white rice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Fermented soy beans covered in snotty jizz bacterial schmoo?

Nope.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fermented soy beans covered in snotty jizz bacterial schmoo?

Nope.
View Quote

Basically.  

I gave it a couple tries.   Incredibly healthy stuff.  

But....just..... no.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had it a couple of times at American Japanese restaurants.

It's not as bad as its reputation.

But it's not something that I would willingly eat if I had a choice of something better (you name it: sashimi or sushi, sunomono, plain white rice, katsudon, biwa, neigima-yaki, miso paste, plain dried nori, etc.).

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've had it a couple of times at American Japanese restaurants.

It's not as bad as its reputation.

But it's not something that I would willingly eat if I had a choice of something better (you name it: sashimi or sushi, sunomono, plain white rice, katsudon, biwa, neigima-yaki, miso paste, plain dried nori, etc.).
View Quote

Now, you say "American Japanese" places -- are they using a less stinky variety?  There are natto brands that offer stink-free (or near) brands.   If it's the real deal, it's pungent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Both times the restaurant owners were Japanese natives, so I'd expect that I was served "the real thing", but then I can't be sure.

I do not remember having partaken of natto either time that I visited Japan (two weeks in 1995, and another two weeks in 1996).

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Both times the restaurant owners were Japanese natives, so I'd expect that I was served "the real thing", but then I can't be sure.

I do not remember having partaken of natto either time that I visited Japan (two weeks in 1995, and another two weeks in 1996).
View Quote

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I buy mine from the Japanese Food Store.  They have it in the frozen food section.  Shirakiku Brand (and many others) usually in the low $2 range (4 packages good for 4 servings).  It's Made in Japan.

Which kind of perplexes me......

Soy sauce is made in America and even some brands of Japanese beer.  So, with all the soy beans that America exports to Japan.  Why is there no American source for natto or edamame?  Why import that stuff at all?

Aloha, Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top