BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 8:24:56 AM EDT
Who has taken it and how hard was it?
How should I prep for it?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#1]
How hard it was depends on what you know already.

If you are a business finance major going in, it will be considerably easier than if your degree was in Social Studies.

A little more info would be useful.

-Z
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#2]
A few study courses available. I took it without prepping and got into grad school. General knowledge and logic, mostly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#3]
My degree is in Operations & Supply Chain Management at a small private business school in Columbus.
What does it take to hit 700's?
I have a 3.9 GPA while working fulltime in the IT/logistics/supply chain field. Currently taking 16 credit hours and have high A's.
Not taking the GMAT for a year and half but wanted to start planning.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I took the GRE.  I took a prep course and wish I hadn't wasted the money or the time.  Challenge it; if you don't score high enough for whatever purpose you need then take a course or buy some books.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My degree is in Operations & Supply Chain Management at a small private business school in Columbus.
What does it take to hit 700's?
I have a 3.9 GPA while working fulltime in the IT/logistics/supply chain field. Currently taking 16 credit hours and have high A's.
Not taking the GMAT for a year and half but wanted to start planning.

You probably will do as well as you did on your SAT. If your score was low, then GMAT may not be easy.
Get a study guide, like Barron's.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
HA Never took the SAT. Worked, military, then school.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Any reason you are aiming for a 700? That score will make you competitive for Ivy League schools.

ETA- It shouldn't be hard to go in there with no prep and score a 600+ if you remember anything from algebra and have no problem with grammer
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I scored a 710 on it with minimal prep (in 2003).  Study your grammar.

- AG
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Took it.  Smoked it.

Just get a prep book to get an idea of the question format, otherwise, don't bother prepping.  Standard test-taking strategies apply.  Bring a snack - it's a longish test.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I know it's unrealistic to get into an Ivy League but...
Ohio State has a really good MBA for Operations Supply Chain Management program and I can work while I go there.
OSU is where I will probably go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I didn't prepare much.  Wasn't bad at all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Who has taken it and how hard was it?

How should I prep for it?

It wasn't that hard, pretty much your standard standardized test...

If you've always been 'good' at standardized testing, you shouldn't need to prep too hard, beyond using the included test-prep/practice software...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I took it last year and did about the same as Aimless - top 10% in verbal and top 40% in math.  If I had to do it all over again, I obviously would have studied more for the math.  The surprising thing is that I always considered myself better at math.  It was kind of a rude awakening because I thought for sure I was ready. I wanted to take it over again, but my score was good enough for the school I wanted to get into so I just accepted it.

My advice is to buy the official books released by the GMAT people with official questions that have been retired.  That should give you a pretty good idea of what you are getting into.  Start practicing the math NOW.  Verbal questions can be solved with common sense once you learn a few rules of the English language, but you really have to know your shit to do good in the math portion.  It's not advanced math, just good problem solving skills that are learned through practice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I think it really depends on how long you have been away from being a "student".  I had been out of any kind of school or timed test taking for over 6 years when I decided to take the test.  I made the decision to take the GMAT late so I had to cram to get myself back into test taking form.  By the time I took the test the first time, I was so worn out from prep and doing my day-to-day job that I did not perform well.  I took it a second time and did better, but never got the score I wanted.

My advice - give yourself enough time to prep.  

Also, OSU is not a "top tier" school, so having the mythical 700+ score should not be a requirement.  The admissions office will look at everything else.  Now if your GPA is low, then the higher score will come in handy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I've taken the "G.O.A.T." exam.

Lousy thing said I should be a fry cook.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top