Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2002 4:01:47 PM EDT
I am having the procedure done this Friday (Mar 22nd).  I have worn glasses all my adult life and through most of my childhood, it will be an experience not having them.  Wish me luck !!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I just asked my optometrist about this earlier this week.  I really, really want it done, but have to save my pennies as my insurance wont cover it.  Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Willy, I went in and had my pre-op eye exam today. I'm having the surgery March 26. I've been wearing glasses for 17 years. I'm looking forward to not having to wear them. The only thing I'm gonna have to remember is to wear safety glasses when I run the powersaw and when I shoot.My Mom had the lasik surgery last year. She had pretty bad eyes and she doesn't need glasses for anything but reading sometimes. I know of 5 others that have had the surgery and are very glad they went through with it. Best of luck. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious, what does it cost?
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm curious, what does it cost?
View Quote

It goes by the amount of correction needed. In my case one eye was $899.00 and the other was $1250.00 and $100.00 for the pre-op eye exam. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
i had it done a year and a half ago and i couldn't be happier.do a search on the subject in the gen discus forums for additional info.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had it done. Best thing ever. One advice though: do not go to bargain basement doctors. Most of the people I have personally known that have had problems have had procedures done by doctors advertising these "special rates".
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#7]
 I had it done 2 1/2 years ago.  At the time it cost $2400 at [url]www.gimbel.com[/url] in Vancouver, BC. Canada.  Now it's under $1000 at some places in Canada.  That's for both eyes.
 Went in 20/400 in both eyes.  Next morning I tested 20/20 and 20/25 and drove home from Vancouver (about 120 miles) without glasses.  Had a regular eye exam about 6 months ago and was 20/20 in both.  It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.  Words cannot describe how I still feel about.  Best advice I can give you is be as calm as you can.  I am alergic to the sedative and had to do it with only eye drops for anesthetic.  It didn't hurt till after but it was very unsettling.  Especially the microkerotme and flipping the flap.  Anyway concentrate on the dot they have you look at.  It makes sure your eye is in the proper place for the laser program.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Had my eyes done with Lasik that came out at 20/20, but with problems of starbusts at night and ghosting. A bumpy cornea from the "flap" is the cause.

I have found the following information to be helpful.

PRK: Prefered if you have heavy astigmatism or large dialated pupils. Takes longer to heal.

Lasik: Fast healing. But many possible complications. Doctors are slowly finding that it isn't recommended for people who use computers for a living. Staring at a computer screen after the operation may complicate the healing process.

Ortho-K: Reshape cornea with custom made hard contacts. Good for low nearsightedness and/or mild astigmatism. Reversable.

Be very informed. Read [url]www.surgicaleyes.com[/url] for extra information.

Link Posted: 3/21/2002 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I am 2 weeks out of PRK.  Painful 3 days, but doing better.  PRK takes a while for the vision to come in.  When tested at the office looking through pinholes, I could read 20/15.  But when looking normal, vision is blured up close and far.  Hard to type and read!  Can drive OK though.  I know PRK is different, but there you go.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#10]
MGNiko,

Hang in there. It will get better as the corneas heal. Just follow what the doctors says. If I remember correctly it really takes around a month for the PRK to heal up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Had it done Sept. 28 and am very happy with it.  For shooting or playing golf my eyesight had never been better either with glasses or contacts which I had been wearing since age 7(46now).  My correction was -7.5 and -8.0 and I paid $2,000.00 complete with exam and all followups and any necessary post op treatments.  I did have to go back and have the flaps picked up and irrigated underneath due to the high amount of mucous secretions that my eyes produce(this is normal for about 6-10% of the population)but I would  not worry about it.  It was only a minor inconvienience and I healed quickly after that and now see great.  At night I now actually experiance LESS halos or starbursts than with contacts since  before the surgery at night I was wearing contacts that had been in since early morning and they were tired and dirty, so now my  night vision is much better.  I do wear reading glasses and anyone in their forties will at some point probably need them also.  Lasik can not correct for that but overall Im very happy and wish you all the best of luck with yours!  [beer]
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Had mine done a year ago January, and couldn't be happier.  Cost me $1900 ($1800 for the surgery, $100 for the new sunglasses with interchangable lenses).  I was out driving the next day.  Just be sure to follow the Dr's instructions afterward.  I ride a motorcycle as well and have suffered no side-effects (except joy at not having to wear prescription lenses).  That's why the sunglasses... dark lenses for day, clear lenses for night.  sluggo's right... do a search in this forum as others have had this done.  Either way, I don't regret spending the money at all.  It's a great feeling being able to get up in the morning and actually see the little digital clock on the VCR without fumbling for glasses.  Oh, and my eyesight was 20/70 right eye, 20/200 left.  I now have 20/15 right and 20/20 left.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I know two people who have had it done. One in his twenties, the other has snow on the roof. Both had good luck with it and are happy.

Try to get the best doctor you can. Board certified in the field if at all possable.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]
How is your night vision around street lights?

-elliott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top