Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 6:12:57 PM EST
Just wondering - who of you has built a gun room or gun closet to safely store your firearms. Any pics or ideas are of course welcome. I'm sure this has probably been brought up before, but I can't search the general area.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:13:16 PM EST
I built a gun house
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:29:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:52:53 PM EST
I have 2 extra closets, blueprints would be nice
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:55:06 PM EST
I had a hardened closet for several years before I got a safe. I used a wood panel door with 4 dead bolts, two per side. I lined the closet interior with expanded metal and plywood as well as the inside of the door. Everything was screwed together instead of nails.

Between the wall studs I put all kinds of rebar, all thread, and solid round rods going both veritical and horizontal. Outside walls had sheet metal or more expanded metal with plywood over that. Once done, everything was covered in paneling and trim so there's no way to tell any difference.

The only way you noticed anything different was that the door had 4 dead bolts. I bought the door and dead bolts but most of the metal was scrap that was given to me. I spent several months planning and gathering all the supplies and took most of a week to build. There was no wallboard used, just plywood. My wife was so happy when I was done. LOL She hates when I mess up the house on a project.
Top Top