Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 4:43:23 PM EDT
I have grown pumpkins in the garden this year and hit the jack pot.   I Have found a ton of recipes on the web for pumpkin pie and I do know know what one to try.   I would like to know what you guys/galls use
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Pumpkin pie is always nasty.

Use your pumpkins for fun at the range... a sort of Pumpkin of Truth thing

You shoulda grown blackberrys, guy!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy Tastykake pumpkin pie and use the pumpkins as targets.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Google dude, google. Embrace the information age.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
PBIR, I must say . . . read the post.  He already did the Google thing and got recipes, now he is looking for advice on what has worked.

The first thing that needs to happen is he needs to figure out if he got pumpkins that make good pies or that make good jack-o-lanterns.  The twain shall never mix.  Don't recall how to tell the difference, but if you use a jack-o-lantern pumpkin to make pie . . . it makes an exceptionally stringy pie.  BTDT.

Always fond of using Betty Crocker recipes, never had much bad happen there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
PBIR, I must say . . . read the post.  He already did the Google thing and got recipes, now he is looking for advice on what has worked.

The first thing that needs to happen is he needs to figure out if he got pumpkins that make good pies or that make good jack-o-lanterns.  The twain shall never mix.  Don't recall how to tell the difference, but if you use a jack-o-lantern pumpkin to make pie . . . it makes an exceptionally stringy pie.  BTDT.

Always fond of using Betty Crocker recipes, never had much bad happen there.

Ah, my google-matic kicked in, so solly. I like this one (bourbon whip cream is A+):

INGREDIENTS:

* Pumpkin Layer:
   * 3/4 c canned pumpkin
   * 1/2 c granulated sugar
   * 1 egg
   * 2 tb sour cream
   * 2 tb egg nog
   * 1/4 ts ground ginger
   * 1/2 ts ground cinnamon
   * 1/8 ts ground cloves
   * 1/8 ts ground nutmeg
   * 1/4 ts salt
   * Pecan Layer
   * 1/2 c dark brown sugar packed
   * 3/4 c dark corn syrup
   * 2 eggs
   * 1 tb butter melted
   * 1 ts vanilla
   * 1 c pecans halves or pieces
   * Bourbon Whipped Cream
   * 1 c whipping cream
   * 3 tb egg nog
   * 1 tb sour cream
   * 3 tb light brown sugar
   * 1 tb bourbon

PREPARATION:
For Pumpkin Layer: In med. bowl, whisk together pumpkin, granulated sugar, egg, sour cream, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.

For Pecan Layer: In separate bowl combine brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs, butter and vanilla and mix until smooth.

Stir in pecans.

To Assemble: Spoon pumpkin mixture into unbaked pie shell, smoothing top. Then very carefully spoon pecan layer over top, being careful to keep layers separate.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then reduce oven to 350 and bake pie 25 to 30 minutes longer or until filling is slightly puffy and pecan layer is just set. Cool on wire rack.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I have heard pie pumpkins have a very thick "shell" and are much sweeeter tasting than jack-o-lantern pumpkins. I also heard from a old farmer that you can tell by thumping on one if it is a pie pumpkin or not. Personaly I never figured it out and just ask the produce guy or read the package on the seeds.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Mrs. Smith's pumpkin custard pie.  She's a great cook.  

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I think sweet potatoe's make better pumpkin pie then pumpkin does but I like the eagle brand milk recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
   * 1 (14 ounce) can eagle brand milk
   * 2 egg yolks
   * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
   * 1/2 teaspoon salt
   * 2 egg whites
   * 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell
   * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
   * 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
   * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
   * 2 tablespoons butter, chilled
   * 1 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks. Stir in 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour filling into pie shell.
  3. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. While the pie is baking, prepare the streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Blend in the cold butter with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly. Mix in the chopped nuts. Sprinkle the topping over the pie.
  4. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake an additional 40 minutes, or until set.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top