Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2002 4:22:04 AM EDT
I am really thinking about having Lasik type eye surgery.  I have had glasses since I was 11.  I would really love to be able to roll over in bed and see the clock, take my glasses off and actually be able to see anything.

Has anyone here had Lasik or other eye surgery?

It sorta' scares me...but I need some opinions.

thanks in advance
medcop
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Lordtrader?  (I think....)

I know he's into "experimental" treatments. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:30:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I looked into it, 95% of the people who have had it are very happy with the results, what they can't tell you is what will happed 20 to 30 yrs down the road as no one knows yet, that is what I based by no-go decision on.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I had it done. It'll be two years ago this April. I'm really happy with it.

I had no pain at all, and could see much better that afternoon, then again much better still the following morning.

Do you have any specific questions?
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:46:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Had it done late September and am very happy with it.  I'm 46 and I am starting to need reading glasses for low light levels but for shooting playing golf and just about anything else I see much better than I ever did with contacts or glasses.  In fact at night I see less halos since the lasik then when I wore contacts.  The only minor negative change I can possibly attribute to the lasik is the ability to read in low light and as I said at my age I was already at the point where I would need reading glasses, however in direct sunlight I can read a newspaper without the reading specs and it is sharp as a tack so maybe the lasik had slighty impede my ability to gather light.  I dont know but I am ceratin of one thing I love the freedom from contacts and glasses and it still amazes me to wake up and see clearly!  The procedure is quick and painless.  I would advise you to talk to some people who have had it done by the doctor that your are considering and if you have a choicee pick one that is close by since you will have to go back for periodic checks ups.  If you have any specific Q's just e mail me and I'll try and answer them.

hope this helps,

TIM

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:54:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been thinking about if for years, but have decided against it.

If you rely on you eyes for a living, are you willing to risk the possibility of blurred/ghosting/reduced night vision?

I would suggest you ask a NON-opthalamologist doctor (surgeon, maybe? as they rely on their eyes quite a bit) for their opinion before you go through the procedure.

I have read a bunch of the message boards linked to in previous LASIK posts here and elsewhere.
One thread in common was that a fair number would have not done it if they realized they would have eye pain, ghosting, no night vision, etc.  Something that was pointed out repeatedly on the boards was that "20/20" vision only means you can see a small portion of that line on the eye chart--it does not mean that you don't have ghosting, blurred vision, etc.  So when they say 999/1000 have 20/20 vision afterwards, it does not address the problems some might be having.

If you decide to have the surgery, get a second opinion as to your suitability as a candidate--there are some places that will push the envelope to get more surgeries done, and will do people with too large of a pupil diameter, too much astigmatism, etc.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought about it, but all the Doctors were wearing Eye Glasses.   Sorry, but if they don't have it done themselves,  I sure ain't gonna get it done.  

I'll wait a few more years to see if any new technologies come out and to see how the early people are seeing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought about it, but all the Doctors were wearing Eye Glasses.   Sorry, but if they don't have it done themselves,  I sure ain't gonna get it done.
View Quote

My eye doctor had Laser PRK done, and is totally against Lasik, and I am too!

I had Laser PRK done just over 2 years ago, about 6 months after my brother had it done! In fact, over the last year, my eyes actually improved, according to my recent exam.

I recommend Laser PRK-- not flap & zap (i.e. Lasik)!

Also, I did this as pre-tax, by allocating pre-tax money at the beginning of the year. Then I had it done immediately, and its like getting an interest free loan-- they took a little out of each paycheck for the entire year, with no interest! That's not bad at all... (back then prices were about $2K per eye, so this paid off really well...)

Edited to say: A former coworker had Lasik done, and now has the halo problem... but who cares about Lasik when you can have Laser PRK!
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Several of my former coworkers have had it done, and were generally happy with it.  However, they were the ones with REALLY LOUSY 20/400, 20/800 COKE-BOTTLE GLASSES BLIND AS A BAT vision.

My own feeling about it is:  if your vision is even halfway decent, give them another few years to learn about longer-term effects.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I had the LASIK procedure done on both eyes last June.  I am very happy with the results.  The procedure was not a big deal, however it was kind of expensive (I chose the most highly respected and recommended doctor in my area).  To me, it was worth every penny.  I've had no side effects and my previously 20/250 vision was down to 20/20 by the day following my surgery.  As of my follow up appointment last month, my vision was still 20/20 and very sharp (compared to my 20/20 vision with contacts before).

It's not for everybody but if you're a good candidate, I say go for it!
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#11]
My mom, now age 67, had LASIK done for fine-tuning after cataract surgery in both eyes.  The implants had left her about -2 and -1.5, and she didn't want to have to put up with glasses.

The LASIK procedure left her with dead-on focus at infinity and [b]20/15[/b] acutity in BOTH EYES!  Of course she needs correction for close-up work, so she uses a $4/pair +3 reading glasses from Sav-On.  She keeps pairs of those all over her house so there's always one at arm's length.  One pair in the kitchen, one in each bathroom... [:D]

She's probably luckier than most patients, but happy as can be.  For a while it got REALLY annoying how much of a LASIK cheerleader she had become.  I'm not a candidate because I have monocular vision (amblyopia), but she kept trying to talk me into doing LASIK.  No F---in' way for me (and my ophthalmologist agrees).

If you do it, go to the best doctor you can find.  Don't cheap out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Haven't had it done but heard a couple of things about it:
-It can weaken your eye structure, such that any blow to your head and/or eye area may potentially result in enucleation (like an egg yolk), whereas if you hadn't had the procedure done the same blow wouldn't cause any eye damage.
-Your eyesight won't be 20-20, it may be 20-40, and with time it could potentially worsen, necessitating repeat procedures.
-Your night vision may be screwed, in darklight conditions, your pupil will dilate and therefore you may see streaking around the periphery of your vision - sucks
-Lastly, they don't know what the long-term effects of the procedure are, such as does it cause cancer in 20 yrs???  They don't have a clue.  Also they don't know what may happen in 20 years when you need say caterat (sp?) surgery.

Putting hot, sharp objects in your eyes just doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I had it done about 4 years ago and am pleased with the results. My vision is greatly improved to the point that I don't really need corrective lenses any more, EXCEPT for reading but thats age related, not due to LASIK.

Before having it done they should test your eyes to see if you are a good candidate.

My operation went like this.
(1)Put drops and ointments into your eyes to numb them up..its strange because your eyes don't feel numb but they are.
(2)Move you to the LASIK machine - like a dentist chair that lies flat.
(3)They put some 'things' in your eyes to hold back the lids.
(4) They put a machine (micro keratome) that slices a flap off your eye. It doesn't hurt.
(5)You stare at a blinking red dot.
(6) They turn on the laser, sounds like it works in pulses. You will hear a snapping noise and may notice a 'burning hair' smell
(7) The replace the flap of skin on your eye.

I could not see the laser itself, it must be in the UV or IR spectrum.

I had 'starburst' vision at night for almost 1 year but now that has cleared up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lordtrader?  (I think....)

I know he's into "experimental" treatments. [:D]
View Quote

Yes I have had it done. Experimental huh? Guess you are referring to my Longitude pills. Hey that half inch is holding.

I now have 20/15 on the lft and 20/20 on the rt. Previous were 20/275 and 20/300. The only side effects that lingers is light sensitivity. I can't go outside when its sunny out and not have shades on. I get headaches if I do not wear shades. Other than that, I love. One word of advise though, do not use bargain basement doctors. Most of the complications I have heard off have been from people that went to doctors offering "special rates"
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Had Lasik done just a little over a year ago.  Very, very happy with the results.  2.25 left eye and 2.50 astygmatism (spelling?) before and .25 in both eyes now.  20/20.  You will need eyedrops (artificial tears) for the first three months or so but that requirement goes away.  Welcome back to the world of peripheral vision.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Experimental huh? Guess you are referring to my Longitude pills. Hey that half inch is holding.
View Quote

No dig intended, LT - just a rather weak attempt at humor.

[beer]

Peace.

-kid
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I wound up having prk done so the surface layers of my eye would bond together properly.  since I had all the risks of the operation I had my vision corrected as well.

I was always sensitive to light, still am.
Night vision is worse and I get some halos and stuff.

Do a lot of research.  For a while people would vacation in canada to get their eyes done as our fda or whomever approves stuff was slower than what canada had.

With my operation the layer cateracts grow and form in is gone.  I am lacking a layer.  And it does not grow back.

My eyes are still real fragile.  I believe some other posts in another thread mentioned the military not taking people who had it done.  I know the military might be paying for jet fighters to get it done, but I was assuming the individual meant ground forces.  

If you are at the extreme limits of what glasses can do, I can see maybe doing it.

I will get glasses before I have mine touched up.  I used to wear them and had to have them to drive.  

I know people who no longer drive at night due to starbursts.  They have the husbands drive if they go out to eat.

I will not risk my only eyes to an operation that only adds conveinance to my life.  You may hate glasses, consider not being able to safely drive at night.  

I know it is uncommon, but consider the worst possable case and figure out if you are willing to go there.  And when you get touch ups the same risks are involved from what I understand.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I never had but four of my friends already did and all are very glad that they did.
First, just like any surgery procedure, you will be asked to sign a waiver. The doctor of your choice should be able to tell you right off on the pre-op visit what you should expect on the results. Right after the surgery, you will undergo a regiment of eye drops every five minutes, then there will also be a couple I think every two or four hours I think on the first week or two. If I remember it correctly, they were also required to wear safety goggles when outside or whenever there is draft present coming from a ceiling fan, AC/central heat vent, etc. All of them achieved 20/15 vision and none of them had any glare problems which was on major concern after a Lasik procedure. One thing I can tell you and you might already be aware of is that it is pricey and considered a "cosmetic" procedure and therefore not covered by any medical insurance.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#19]
When you have your eyes done, remember the following:

Sometimes your eyes will feel scratchy and burn. Use eye drops. Pretty soon, your eyes will not dry out as much. Remember-- when you used to wear glasses or contacts, your eyes were sheilded from the wind.

Reading glasses are recommended, to prolong your new vision...

Sunglasses are always recommended. Get a GOOD pair-- spend a little on Oakley's or something. I think that's why my vision went bad in the first place.

Remember that coworker I mentioned that had Lasik done? he always had "fire eyes"-- burning sensations and halos. Don't know why.

Do a lot of research, and do not take our word for it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I had it done in July of 2000 and it's been flawless.  I was corrected to 20/20.  I was back at work the next day.  The night halos persisted for about 6 months and then they went away as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top