Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 5:45:28 AM EDT
My personal is Sergio Leoni.

His movies were my favorites for many years before I ever even knew it was him who directed them.

My name is nobody
once upon a time in the west
once upon a time in America
The good, the bad, & the ugly
The Trinity series

& many other movies that I really love. I think it's interesting I liked so many of his movies so much & wasn't just following his name as a director.
He is probably the greatest director of all times.

So who do you think is the best or greatest director of all time?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Steven Spielberg.

Yes, I know he is a liberal POS, but he'd a DAMN GOOD DIRECTOR liberal POS.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Well..........I mean....come on!!

Sgtar15   <-------------------------------------
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#4]
pre-Titanic James Cameron.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What was I thinking????
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Ridely Scott honestly.

Every one of hismovies I love.

Plus I also love Sergio LEone.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Francis Ford Coppola
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the guy that did Sid & Nancy and Repo-Man : Alex Cox,

Also, that german weirdo that did Robocop and Starship Troopers is pretty good.

But if you want me to go see a movie with no provocation or hype just tell me it was made by Michael Mann.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I used to think Ron Howard, I guess for now that's what  I will say.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I would have to say Michael Moore...if he would just have a seizure and die or become a vegetable, maybe rhubarb...

Seriously, I like Michael Mann.  BTW< what was that gun Al Pacino used in HEAT????
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd say it's a toss up between James Cameron (EXCEPT TITANIC!) and Ridley Scott.

Michael Mann is pretty good too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Coen Brothers

GM
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quintin Tarrantino

Francis Ford Copola

Ridley Scott

Oliver Stone

The Cohen Bros

Steven Spielberg

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Michael Moore

Not really, just trying to start something, well, he does make FANTASY movies, right?

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Kubrick
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Paul Verhoven is DUTCH.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Peter Jackson, for his work in oh-so-successfully bringing Lord Of The Rings to live-action film.  This was previously thought to be impossible.  Thanks also, to New Line Cinema for having the GUTS to risk the company (literally) on the venture, without which it would never have happened.

P.S. - The Tolkien books are far better than the movies, if you haven't yet read them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#18]
George Lucas is the best director ever. The reason is that his movies have changed the face of hollywood. His movies are the reason that there is a special effects industry. His movies are the reason there are CGI. he created the first  non linear editing system. He also created Pixar, which is the reason you see all these movies like Toy story etc. His vision has pushed the film industry decades ahead of its time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Michael Mann, Ridley Scott and Tarantino.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Martin Scorsese.  Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Gangs of New York, Cape Fear, King of Comedy, Afterhours.  Tons of good movies.

Kubrick too.  Dr. Strangelove, Lolita, Paths of Glory, The Shining, 2001, Clockwork Orange, FMJ.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
George Lucas is the best director ever. The reason is that his movies have changed the face of hollywood. His movies are the reason that there is a special effects industry. His movies are the reason there are CGI. he created the first  non linear editing system. He also created Pixar, which is the reason you see all these movies like Toy story etc. His vision has pushed the film industry decades ahead of its time.

That's a pretty bold statement. Keep telling yourself that Star Wars fanboy! The techniques pioneered in Star Wars aren't used much at all anymore. TERMINATOR 2 (James Cameron's film) was the first movie to make great use of CGI, which makes up almost all of the special effects in films these days, including the latest three Star Wars movies. Great special effects don't make for a great movie anyway.

George Lucas's visions are only serving to fuck up the Star Wars series these days by the way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
George Lucas's visions are only serving to fuck up the Star Wars series these days by the way.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Andrew Blake
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a pretty bold statement. Keep telling yourself that Star Wars fanboy! The techniques pioneered in Star Wars aren't used much at all anymore. TERMINATOR 2 (James Cameron's film) was the first movie to make great use of CGI, which makes up almost all of the special effects in films these days, including the latest three Star Wars movies. Great special effects don't make for a great movie anyway.

I am not stating that Star Wars had great CGI. What I am saying is that Lucas pioneered the CGI field, and pretty much singlehandedly saved the special effects industry. It is because of his vision that movies like Terminator 2 were able to be made. You guys have to look further outside the box than just talking about star wars. Yes star wars was a great movie that has stood the test of time, but it is what happened to the movie industry because of star wars that is what makes it so special. Also, if you knew What lucas had to go through just to get those movies made, and you know that he almost was not able to make them, he deserves to redo them as was intended in his original vision for the films. If the technology was in place 20 years ago that is today you would have never known what the original star wars was.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#26]
In no order:

Scorsese

Ridley Scott

Spielberg

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paul Verhoven is DUTCH.

Thank you  

I like Luc Besson's movies

5th Element
Leon (the Professional)
The Big Blue
Messenger
La Femme Nikita

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#28]
George lucas is a crappy DIRECTOR though, which is what the question is about.

He is a good producer, has a great special effects and sound company, and is a great visionary, but when it comes to DIRECTing actors, he is horrible. Why the best star wars movies are the ones he didn't direct.

I dunno who I would say was the best director though, lots of choices.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Jonathan Frankes
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Jonathan Frankes

Go sit in the corner RIGHT NOW, and think about what you said!!!  

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I am not stating that Star Wars had great CGI. What I am saying is that Lucas pioneered the CGI field, and pretty much singlehandedly saved the special effects industry. It is because of his vision that movies like Terminator 2 were able to be made. You guys have to look further outside the box than just talking about star wars. Yes star wars was a great movie that has stood the test of time, but it is what happened to the movie industry because of star wars that is what makes it so special. Also, if you knew What lucas had to go through just to get those movies made, and you know that he almost was not able to make them, he deserves to redo them as was intended in his original vision for the films. If the technology was in place 20 years ago that is today you would have never known what the original star wars was.

I realize that he took out a loan against his house to help finance the 2nd movie and all the jazz he went through with Fox to make the first one, but he only DIRECTED episodes 1-4. I've news for you- but Star Wars is not the greatest movie ever made. There's a difference between being a great director and helping to revolutionize a very specific portion of movie making. Necessity is the mother of invention. There are a lot of other greats out there like Stan Winston that could and do fill the void.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#32]
You people are smokin' crack.

Sam Peckinpah or John Ford

Peter Jackson gets an honorable mention for LOTR.

Take all the animation and computer work out and most the new films are crap.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Jonathan Frankes

Who?

BTW, what's the big deal with TITANIC? I thought it was a great flick. Lots of sappy crap for the women, lots of death and destruction with great effects for the guys. What's not to like (other than Leonardo DiCaprio)?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Guy Ritchie
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

BTW, what's the big deal with TITANIC? I thought it was a great flick. Lots of sappy crap for the women, lots of death and destruction with great effects for the guys. What's not to like (other than Leonardo DiCaprio)?

IN all fairness, it is not the WORST movie I have ever seen, because that has to be "Signs"

But Titanic is definitely the second-worst movie I have ever seen.  I though the acting was terrible, the effects unconvincing, the story trite, stupid and overdramatized.  I honestly don't understand why ANYONE other than 13 year-old girls liked that movie in the least.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#36]
J. Edgar Hoover.

He was "The Director", after all.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You people are smokin' crack.

Sam Peckinpah or John Ford

Peter Jackson gets an honorable mention for LOTR.

Take all the animation and computer work out and most the new films are crap.

+1
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Some of my favorites:

Quentin Tarantino
Brian DePalma
Chritopher Nolan
Micahel Mann
Tony Scott
Bryan Singer
The Wachowskis
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
George lucas is a crappy DIRECTOR though, which is what the question is about.

He is a good producer, has a great special effects and sound company, and is a great visionary, but when it comes to DIRECTing actors, he is horrible. Why the best star wars movies are the ones he didn't direct.

I dunno who I would say was the best director though, lots of choices.

I respectfully disagree. The reason that Lucas outsourced the direction of Empire and Return was because he was doing it all. He was the production company and it was alot to handle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Akira Kurosawa.

Edited to add: Alfred Hitchcock. He "designed" each frame with the skill of an artist.

Orson Wells comes to mind too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Preston Sturges
Alfred Hitchcock
Billy Wilder
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Hall of Fame:
Akira Kurosawa
Stanly Kubrick
Martin Scorsese

Second Tier:
Michelangelo Antonioni
Tim Burton
Sam Raimi
Coen Bros
John Dahl (Red Rock West, The Last Seduction, Rounders)
Peter Jackson
Ridley Scott
Luc Besson
Quentin Tarantino
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Charlie Chaplin
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Steben spielburg
michael mann
george lucas

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Hall of Fame:
Akira Kurosawa
Stanly Kubrick
Martin Scorsese

Second Tier:
Michelangelo Antonioni
Tim Burton
Sam Raimi
Coen Bros
John Dahl (Red Rock West, The Last Seduction, Rounders)
Peter Jackson
Ridley Scott
Luc Besson
Quentin Tarantino

How did you manage to leave out Sergio Leoni?????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top