Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/9/2003 12:49:44 PM EDT
It's probably pointless speculation at this point, but I've been wondering who we might have to run for President in 2008. Who do you think? Could Jeb Bush be involved? Might we put Powell or Rice on the ticket to help with the minority vote? Any other good candidates? Frist, maybe?

What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Elizabeth Dole.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Betty Crocker, on the chocolate chip platform.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Rummie and Connie Rice

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
IF the Republicans were smart Cheney would gracefully bow out of the VP slot for the 2004 election for "health" reasons and GW would choose Powell as his VP. This would set Powell up nicely for the 2008 elections. I don't give a rat's ass what color he is because I think he is the best man for the job, bar none. This country needs Colin Powell.

Outside of Powell, perhaps Tom Ridge.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Colorado Governor Bill Owens
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IF the Republicans were smart Cheney would gracefully bow out of the VP slot for the 2004 election for "health" reasons and GW would choose Powell as his VP. This would set Powell up nicely for the 2008 elections. I don't give a rat's ass what color he is because I think he is the best man for the job, bar none. This country needs Colin Powell.

View Quote

[size=1](Powell wants to take away your guns, and lube your ass for the United Nations)[/size=1]

I don't care what color Powell is either.  I don't want him in charge!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Frist
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't heard much from Frist lately on his views and such. I hope we can get someone with enough leadership and name recognition to beat Hillary. God help us all if Hitlery gets into the oval office in 2008. [:O]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Powell? No way.  He is NOT a conservative.  Nor is Giuliani or Dole.  How about Magaret Thatcher?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
... My good buddy, U.S. Rep. J.D. Hayworth (R-AZ)
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
i forgot about guiliani, he would be a good one
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Can anyone give me any links where Powell has stated that he wishes to ban firearm ownership by civilians? I know that he is pro-gun control but can find no specifics, perhaps you can enlighten me?

Just because Powell believes in using diplomacy first doesn't mean that he will "lube up my ass for the UN". If he was a sellout to the UN then he would have walked when the administration he serves went contrary to UN opinion. The UN does need to be changed and I think Powell could facilitate that.

For what it's worth, I think conservatives AND liberals are all a bunch of dumbshit narrowminded idiots.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
i think Powell "softened up" his image to be Sec state
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#15]
My pick would be John McCain and Lincoln Chafee for VP. As demonstrated by this thread, MANY republicans are realizing the need for common sense and reasonable gun safety laws.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
If President Bush wins reelction in 04, Jeb will be the nominee in 08.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good Lord Almighty!!!

No way in hell would I vote for him as a Republican Presidential candidate.

Please...never speak of this again.  You might give him ideas.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jeez....why don't ya just hand the keys to Kofi Annan, and Hienrich Himmler!! [rolleyes]

I hope you're not registered to vote, you're dangerous!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#19]
What I'd like to see:

2004 Bush/Cheney ticket...Cheney bows out gracefully with health concerns, 'for the good of the Country'.
Bush chooses Condi Rice for the VP spot.
Bush/Rice win the 2004 elections.

2008 Rice chooses Jeb for VP running mate.
America votes a Rice/Bush ticket to a landslide win.

2012, they run and win again.
Beyond that?

Republican White House for YEARS to come.

Any JOKES about 'bush'; 'white as rice'; black girls on top; a Black Girl in the White House; etc. WILL be tolerated because Political Correctness will be outlawed! [;D]
It just won't matter anymore.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Jeez....why don't ya just hand the keys to Kofi Annan, and Hienrich Himmler!! [rolleyes]

View Quote

I differ with Powell on many issues, but to compare him to either Kofi Annan or Heinrich Himmler is very very idiotic.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can anyone give me any links where Powell has stated that he wishes to ban firearm ownership by civilians? I know that he is pro-gun control but can find no specifics, perhaps you can enlighten me?

Just because Powell believes in using diplomacy first doesn't mean that he will "lube up my ass for the UN". If he was a sellout to the UN then he would have walked when the administration he serves went contrary to UN opinion. The UN does need to be changed and I think Powell could facilitate that.

For what it's worth, [red]I think conservatives AND liberals are all a bunch of dumbshit narrowminded idiots[/red].
View Quote

Well, coming from Pennsylvania, that's not much of a surprise now, is it??

"Middle-of-the-roader", are we??
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I like Hayworth too, but I don't think he has a big following.
Lord help us all if it comes down to that maniac McCain or Powell.
Miss Rice is too much of an unknown.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Colin Powell has already stated he will not run for office.  Has something to do with his wife.  He's not my choice, but wouldn't be as bad as some.  Rummy would be awesome, but he's too old.  Jeb is borderline retarded.  I'm serious.  Rice may very well be on the ticket, I don't know 1 or 2 slot.  If Frist is on, he will be 1, not 2.  

I'd LOVE to see Cheney as pres, but that ticker just ain't up to it.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Jeez....why don't ya just hand the keys to Kofi Annan, and Hienrich Himmler!!

Well, coming from Pennsylvania, that's not much of a surprise now, is it??

"Middle-of-the-roader", are we??
View Quote

Thanks for the well thought out responses. I am glad that I was able to gain vauluable insight from your educational post.

First off skippy, I do not wish to hand the keys to the UN. Powell pushed for UN action on Iraq, got nothing, and proceeded ahead anyway. That is not indicitive of someone who is the UN's lapdog. The UN has a place, and it is a forum in which nations can resolve problems, which I agree with. I do not agree with the UN interfering with the legal sovergnity of nations which are not a danger to other nations. Just my opinion and my RIGHT as an American to have them.

And I do vote, often...local, state and national. And that does make me dangerous, especially to those who do not vote.

Middle of the road? Nope, not at all. I hold ideas which get me called a conservative by liberals and visa versa. Pro choice and pro death penalty, so what does that make me besides consistant? I am pro nationalized health care but anti welfare. I believe in national service for all 18-20 year olds, either military or civil, to instill discipline and a code of ethics. I think every non convict and psychopath should be able to own a gun and carry it 24-7 anywhere in the US. I think that the democrats/republicans have sold their souls to corporate interests and need to all be voted out of office. I think the US should close all bases overseas. I think we should cease foreign aid. I think seatbelt and helmet laws are BS, let the individual choose. I think the states should have more power than the federal government. I think cops and teachers should be higher paid. I think criminals should serve their sentences. I think you should be able to spank your children. Pediphiles and rapists should be executed. Every school should say the Pledge of Alledgance every single morning. Term limits suck, vote them out if they arent doing a good job. Cows DONT have equal rights. I want a 15% flat tax for everyone and every corporation (I PAID MORE TAXES THAN ENRON DID DURING THEIR LAST 5 YEARS!!!!).

That's it...for now, I could go on all night about what I think.

Middle of the road? Hell no, I am all over the damned road. The Constitution and Bill of Rights allow me to do so. It also allows you to remain on the right side and the Klintons on the left. Wonderful document that Constitution.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cheney is sticking around for the reelection run as he lends gravitas and experience to the ticket.  Not to mention he's one sharp dude.  Despite what you hear, Cheney was responsbile for rejecting CENTCOM's up the middle ground assault plan in GWI and insisting on a bolder strategy.  He has been working national security issues for 30 years.  Look for him to step down 2-3 years into the 2nd term IF Jeb Bush is not a credible choice for 2008.  Part of the reason that Cheney (and Powell) were chosen for their posts is that they are not threats for the 2008 nomination to Jeb Bush, if he decides to run.  If Jeb runs, Cheney stays.  If Jeb doesn't run, Bush's hand picked successor will likely take the VP slot after mid-term elections (if Bush's popularity is reasonably good).

Ridge - maybe, but he didn't deliver PA.  He's from my hometown of Erie, not exactly a large money area.  He's also got his hands full in a no-win job at the DoHS.

If a Repub takes the CA governorship that is eligible to run for Pres I'd look there.  Americans elect governors (executives) not Congressmen (legislators) as President.  What other large state Govs are Repubs - that's the place to look.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like Hayworth too, but I don't think he has a big following.
Lord help us all if it comes down to that maniac McCain or Powell.
[red]Miss Rice is too much of an unknown.[/red]
View Quote

Gun friendly? Tax friendly? True Conservative?
She could run she is very easy to listen to who knows.............
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I have nothing against Cheney, he is one very sharp individual. I just don't think that with his health problems he will be on the 2008 ticket. With that in mind the Republicans should have Bush pick a 2004 running mate that would be capable of suceeding him. Otherwise it will be a free for all. Of course this would open up the potential for a viable 3rd party candidate or a Democratic victory. Who knows what is going to happen between now and then. The economy is going to be a MAJOR political issue during the 2004 election and the Democrats are going to wield it like a rapier. Most people do not understand how the economy works and that we were experiencing a downturn during the summer of 2000 when the tech stock bubble began to burst...before the election. By most people are stupid and will the the economy sucks right now because of Bush.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#28]
It's Waaay too early to tell who will look good, and who will have totally disgraced themselves by 2008.
Ask me again in 2006; but right now I like either:

A) Frist, or
B) Whoever takes over for Cheney when he retires in 2005, early '06.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I would like to see Mr Greenjeans run for the top office and make Capt Kangaroo his running mate.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#30]
You are all way off.

There will never be a black vice president. Do you know why??

To quote Chris Rock, "Some black guy would shoot the president".
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#31]
[center][b][size=4]ALFRED E. NEUMAN FOR PRESIDENT[/size=4][/b][/center]

[img]http://hypocrisytoday.com/alfred.gif[/img]

"How come we choose from just two people for President, and fifty for Miss America?"

On the Candidate

* He decided to run for office because the other candidates were all so boring.
* He has never failed at business, defrauded the Small Business Administration, sought special favors from the Government, or inhaled.
* He has no wife to cheat on.
* He is not a politician and makes no promises, which he wouldn't keep anyway.
* He has never been investigated by 60 Minutes, ATF, IRS, or the National Inquirer. He doesn't know Matt Drudge
* Heads of State: "I don't know them. They're all foreigners anyway."

On Reforming the Government

* Merge the Department of Justice, FBI, CIA, DIA, and ATF. Move them all to a compound in Area 51 and post National Guard as sentries.

* Disband the IRS, lay off all employees and relocate them to their own "retirement" community in Area 51.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Cheney is sticking around for the reelection run as he lends [b][red]gravitas[/red][/b] and experience to the ticket.  
View Quote

Please, don't EVER use that word again...[;D] [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Cthulhu is a better choice than some of the people presented so far.

But there is really no way to know until 2006-7.  I figure if bush gets relected in 04 cheney will step down in early 07 for 'health reasons' and then Bush (Rove) will pick a new VP (Frist maybe?, depends on how the Senate is seated at the time, and whether Frist is a sitting Senator, which he may not be) who will have a huge advantage in the Primaries.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:14:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Lets,

Cheney, Rumsfield? Both will be too old.

Powell? Wife absolutely has forbidden it, and he's not a good "vision" guy. And will be too old at that point.

Condi Rice? She needs to be elected somewhere first. Needs to show she can handle an election run. Perhaps VP in 2008.

Jeb Bush? maybe. More of a techno-weenie than his older brother.

Its a way off, we will see a lot of work into this over the next 4 years or so.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:34:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheney is sticking around for the reelection run as he lends [b][red]gravitas[/red][/b] and experience to the ticket.  
View Quote

Please, don't EVER use that word again...[;D] [:D]
View Quote

Aw crap, BM!   You beat me to it....

Powell as SecState?  Sure, OK with me.  As POTUS?  No way.  I don't even want to think about that one.  He stated firmly in a Time interview that he's anti-gun rights.   However, it's a moot point as he also said that he would never want to run on a presidential ticket.

I agree that Condi Rice should be in there somewhere.  Everything I've heard about here so far sound good to me.  That may change of course...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My pick would be John McCain and Lincoln Chafee for VP. As demonstrated by this thread, MANY republicans are realizing the need for common sense and reasonable gun safety laws.
View Quote

McCain has spent too much time in a communist re-education camp (we'll be generous and call him a student and not one of the teachers).
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Cthulhu why vote for a lesser evil!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
i forgot about guiliani, he would be a good one
View Quote

Not a bad idea really...Rudy and the Lesbian Bitch.  That would be a dirty race all right.  He'd be all right too as pres.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Cheney bows out, Bush replaces him with Condi Rice.
She wins in 2008.
I would hope that she doesn't pick Jeb.
I suspect that most Americans would find that to be a bit tiresome.
Condoleeza Rice would make for the most interesting election in our Nation's history.
At first the Democrats would sic the Congressional Black Caucus on her.  They'd call her a "Tom", "House N****r", etc.. It wouldn't work.
Eventually, the Dems will stoop lower than anyone could imagine.  They'll try to exploit racist voter's unease.

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Good Lord Almighty!!!

View Quote

What's wrong with him.  He seems to be a pretty conservative and popular guy.

He also seems pretty gun friendly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#41]
They're groomin' Jeb, But I want Condi to run!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cheney bows out, Bush replaces him with Condi Rice.
She wins in 2008.
I would hope that she doesn't pick Jeb.
I suspect that most Americans would find that to be a bit tiresome.
Condoleeza Rice would make for the most interesting election in our Nation's history.
At first the Democrats would sic the Congressional Black Caucus on her.  They'd call her a "Tom", "House N****r", etc.. It wouldn't work.
Eventually, the Dems will stoop lower than anyone could imagine.  They'll try to exploit racist voter's unease.

I can't wait.
View Quote

Amen! However, I'd not rule out Jeb just yet. At the very least he still deserves a good looking at.

I love Cheney, and I remember hoping like hell that he'd one day be president. However, while I have no doubt that he has the knowledge and character to be a fine President, I just don't think he's enough of a politician to win over the "middle" sheeple.

OTOH, I may be wrong...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#43]
When it comes right down to it, most Repubs are as repugnant as the Dems. Very damn sad.

I can't think of one viable Republican Candidate that I'd care to vote for. I'd vote for Ron Paul, the closet Libertarian.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Utah governor Mike Leavitt
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I believe the issue with SEC Powell is his wife's a drunk. Not exactly the image you want as a first lady.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When it comes right down to it, most Repubs are as repugnant as the Dems. Very damn sad.
View Quote

Yes, it's sad you actually believe that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I can't think of one viable Republican Candidate that I'd care to vote for. I'd vote for Ron Paul, the closet Libertarian.
View Quote

Please tell me of ONE of his accomplishments.
Any legislation that he's authored that has been passed, or any bad legislation that he helped to defeat.
What has he done?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Shawn Hannity hasnt been mentioned has he?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Good Lord Almighty!!!

View Quote

What's wrong with him.  He seems to be a pretty conservative and popular guy.
View Quote

He's a moderate Republican at best, and Clinton was a very popular guy, too.

He also seems pretty gun friendly.
View Quote

Do a google search on "Governor Owens gun control".  

I wouldn't call him anti-gun, but he certainly isn't terribly gun friendly, either.

The fact is, I don't think he has what it takes to run the country.  He's an [i]okay[/i] governor, but he'd be an awful President IMO.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#50]
I'd like to see J.C. Watts get involved at some point.  Although it'd be tough to have a Condi Rice/J.C. Watts ticket.  The demonrat's heads would explode.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top