Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2007 5:34:10 PM EST
I mean really, a Monet?????? What kind of sick bastard does something like this???

news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20071007/ca_pr_on_en/monet_damaged_1

Cecile Almendros, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Sun Oct 7, 1:43 PM ET

PARIS - Intruders entered the Orsay Museum early Sunday and punched a hole in a renowned work by Impressionist painter Claude Monet, "Le Pont d'Argenteuil," the French Culture Minister said.

A surveillance camera caught a group entering the museum, located on the Left Bank of the French capital along the Seine River and housing a major collection of Impressionist artists like Monet.

An alarm sounded and the group left, but not before damaging the painting, an aide to Culture Minister Christine Albanel said by telephone.

No arrests were immediately made.

Albanel told France-Info radio that the painting could be restored, but she deplored what she said was an attack on "our memory, our heritage."

"This splendid Monet painting (was) punched right in the middle," the minister said with emotion.

According to the aide, a 10-centimetre tear was made in the Monet, perhaps with a fist. The official, not authorized to speak publicly of the matter, asked not to be named.

It was not immediately clear how many people were in the group that broke into the museum.

Monet led the 19th century Impressionist movement, experimenting notably with light and colour in works now deemed priceless.

"Le Pont d'Argenteuil" shows a view of the Seine at a rural bend, featuring a bridge and boats.

Albanel told France-Info that she would doubtless seek improved security in museums and stronger sanctions against those who desecrate art. "This is not tolerable," she said.

The break-in occurred as Paris held its annual all-night festival, which brings thousands of people into the streets for music, exhibits and fun.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:35:10 PM EST
muslims?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:35:41 PM EST
Fucking Hippies
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:36:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By rainman:
muslims?

I was just about to post 'Muzzies'.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:37:04 PM EST

muslims?

No, they go after Van Goghs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:39:55 PM EST
I've seen that painting. Really beautiful...

How the hell did a bunch of idiots break into one of the premier museums in the world?

Hope they catch them and break their arms.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:40:55 PM EST
That's the thing about cameras. They can provide evidence, but they won't stop.

It makes me wonder how the culprits got into Musee D'Orsay? Isn't there supposed to be access control. Perimeter alarms, roof sensors, motion sensors and guards responding to investigate an alarm activation? Well, considering its the French who are notorious for their labor unrest (some French museum guards take extra long breaks and the Louvre is notorious for gallery closure because its guards skedaddle). Try that in the Met in New York and they'd climb all over you. The Getty in Los Angeles tracked a fellow when he snuck onto the grounds and got onto the roof. They had a squad and a dog there as a greeting party for the man.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:43:45 PM EST
Savages.
Art is what sets us apart from animals.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:45:47 PM EST
I have visited a lot of museums, and I am always surprised most painting are so accessable.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:49:26 PM EST
Sick.

5sub
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:50:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By capnrob97:
I have visited a lot of museums, and I am always surprised most painting are so accessable.

That's an on-going feud between the security director and the curator. Curators want the piece to be seen unfettered. Security on the other hand wants people to stay away - far away. They don't want anyone to get too close to touch it, get spittle on if (when they're speaking), point pencils, pens or markers (someone else may bump into the writing instrument wielder and then its Opps!).

One of the best system I've seen is a digital camera that detects when someone is getting too close. An audible alarm is sounded, a monitor in the control room switches over and the control room guard looks at the art viewer. If the art viewer doesn't back off automatically at the audible alarm, the control room guard informs the floor guard (or gallery attendant) which party needs to be reminded to back away from the art. It happened to me once. But the guard was very nice about it and I apologized.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:54:47 PM EST
I am not a huge impressionist fan - but yeah - Monet was a master and it sickens me.

When I was in MoMA, England and Italy, some of the more priceless works were behind bullet proof glass. IIRC Starry Night is that way. I am trying to remember this other work I saw. It was MUCH smaller than you would think it is... but now I cant remember what it was... I want to say the Mona Lisa - but I know thats not it... At any rate it was housed in something like the constiution - bullet proof glass, sealed in nitrogen.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:54:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:14:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By guns762:

Originally Posted By DigDug:

Originally Posted By swingset:
I'll bet it was Cezanne that's behind this shit. You know how those impressionists are...they're worse than the east coast/west coast rappers.

Years ago Pissaro's crew did a driveby on Renoir, busted a cap in his ass. After that, Renoir was so messed up he could only do pointalism with a tiny brush in his grill.

Picasso put out a hit after he got his ear shot off...

Some one didn't pay attention in Art History too well.

Swingset, you are a hell of a funny guy. As for the Monet. Dang, he's my favorite.

Van Gogh shot Picasso's ear off cuz he was jealous he had two. It could've happened.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:15:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2007 6:15:36 PM EST by Jarhead_22]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:16:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
There is private security out front manning magnetometers, but I didn't see any (overt) security inside. It could be that they just rely on their cameras to prevent art theft without having considered this mindless sort of crime.

The view of the Seine just across the street from the Musee d'Orsay:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/Mesopotamia/DSC00065-1.jpg

Is that a little white flag on the back of that boat?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:20:03 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:21:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:

Is that a little white flag on the back of that boat?

lol'ez vous!

Parlee voo francine to you too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:23:45 PM EST
took the missus to the monet exhibit when it came to LV at the bellagio a few years back.

she's gonna be pisst when she hears about this.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:24:20 PM EST
Steve Wynn?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:30:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:
Fucking savages.
+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:42:09 AM EST

I mean really, a Monet?????? What kind of sick bastard does something like this???

Somebody who REALLY hates impressionists....

Or who was forced to spend entire semesters locked in a smelly room listening to some jackass drone on about "texture" or similar nonsense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:09:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Somebody who REALLY hates impressionists....

Or "modernity".
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:10:41 AM EST
I just wonder why we worship such objects?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:20:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
I just wonder why we worship such objects?

I can see the appeal but im much more impressed by technology. You can't do anything but look and observe art. With technology you can use it, manipulate it, and physically benefit from it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:25:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By swingset:
I'll bet it was Cezanne that's behind this shit. You know how those impressionists are...they're worse than the east coast/west coast rappers.

Years ago Pissaro's crew did a driveby on Renoir, busted a cap in his ass. After that, Renoir was so messed up he could only do pointalism with a tiny brush in his grill.

The only good the art classes I was forced to take in college have ever done for me is allowing me to understand how funny that post was.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:38:53 AM EST
It's only Monet.

Monet isn't everything.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:42:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 3:44:43 AM EST by John_Wayne777]

Originally Posted By mattimeo:
I would urinate on a Monet.

Then I will have created modern art.

No.

But if you were to crap in a can, on the other hand....

"Artist Shit"

Piero Manzoni -- 1961

A single can of Mr. Manzoni's feces sells for about $35,880 right now, making it more valuable by weight than gold.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:48:36 AM EST
France has had thousands of its citizens' cars burned in the streets over the past couple of years by 'disenfranchised youths'.

Vandalism seems to be the popular crime du jour among a particular cross section of the population.

A Monet painting would seem to represent a symbolic target of French achievement, cultural identity and aesthetics, particularly of its traditional middle class taste.

What a cowardly act!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:10:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 4:15:10 AM EST by NAM]
I would never destroy a piece of art like that.

But it was french....so i might take a leak on it...

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:20:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By jbombelli:
Steve Wynn?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:27:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Originally Posted By mattimeo:
I would urinate on a Monet.

Then I will have created modern art.

No.

But if you were to crap in a can, on the other hand....

home.sprynet.com/~mindweb/artshit.jpg

"Artist Shit"

Piero Manzoni -- 1961

A single can of Mr. Manzoni's feces sells for about $35,880 right now, making it more valuable by weight than gold.

See, that's whats messed up about this country. I did the exact same thing and they said it was gross and then they made me leave Arby's. Some rich yuppie french guy does it and everyone wants to buy it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:35:47 AM EST
Hey,

They say the vandals were drunk, so the Muslim angle is kinda ruled out.

Alcohol is haram, right?

Kevin "Sad that I know that fucking word."

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:44:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By psyops4fun:
France has had thousands of its citizens' cars burned in the streets over the past couple of years by 'disenfranchised youths'.

Vandalism seems to be the popular crime du jour among a particular cross section of the population.

A Monet painting would seem to represent a symbolic target of French achievement, cultural identity and aesthetics, particularly of its traditional middle class taste.

What a cowardly act!

Don't forget what I classify as the "Beavis and Butthead" syndrome of idiotic middle-class kids who smash stuff just because they can.

What's French for:

"Dude, it would be so cool if you would like punch that painting!"

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:45:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By FlyingAttackPorcupin:
See, that's whats messed up about this country. I did the exact same thing and they said it was gross and then they made me leave Arby's.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:55:10 AM EST
It's all because of the Da Vinci code.

They should have banned that book.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:57:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:03:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By trwoprod:

Originally Posted By C-4:

muslims?

I was just about to post 'Muzzies'.

Muslims.

I'd bet 1000 Arfcom points its white rich kids that live on the street begging for change to buy heroin.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:05:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By Sylvan:
bummer. monet is my favorite impressionist (seriously)

Mine is Rich Little.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:08:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By prk:

Originally Posted By jbombelli:
Steve Wynn?

My first thought as well
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:13:59 AM EST

Its small, but theres a photo of it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:30:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By captwn1:
I've seen that painting. Really beautiful...

How the hell did a bunch of idiots break into one of the premier museums in the world?

Hope they catch them and break their arms.

+1 This should be standard punishment for all vandals!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top