Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 6:39:17 AM EDT
Sorry if its been asked many times before. I am considering transfering to another dept., and they allow them, and of course I want to carry one. I am curious as to what models, finshes, etc., and what duty rig you carry with. Are there any length issues, as far as sitting in your unit? I ask because I carried a G34 for a while, while in my unit, an Impala, the weapon would sqeeze against the seat and my rib cage; painful after awhile. I soon went back to my 220.
And finally, with all the issues, non-issues, that I have read and heard about the 1911, how are their reliability? I know, it's a 1911, etc., etc. But I want to hear it from my fellow boys in blue.
Also, I shoot quite a lot.(Especially for a police officer) I know some people may be surprised to hear that, but I really do. On the order of 3-400 rounds a month. So how do they (1911s) hold up?

So school me . . . . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:30:02 AM EDT
Everyone is going to roll their eyes because I make no bones about carrying one. I have carried a 1911 for about six years now and LOVE it. I work for a Municipal Department and just finished a tour with the K9 Unit. Although the 1911 is approved Dept. wide, only about (20) of us carry them. Our PD is 235 total. The Dept issued weapon is the Combat Tupperware (Glock) Mod. 22. My current duty weapon is the Kimber Warrior in a Safariland Holster.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:10:08 AM EDT
Our SOP requires that the first shot be double action. So 1911's here. The day that changes, I'm running out and buying a Warrior. (If I don't already have one for personal use by then)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:42:07 AM EDT
Well we are allowed to carry 1911s but most don't. I have had problems with every major manufacture with the least being Springfield Armory and the most being Kimber as have all the guys that wanted them. Most have gone to Sig, Glock, or HK. Most departments issue the Glock 22. I know the Sig 220 which I have one is thicker in the slide than a Glock 35 so it was probably the length or the thickness of the grip that was getting you.

What I have found from the major 1911 companies is that you get some that are good and some that aren’t. I have never purchased a Glock, HK or Sig that did not run like a champ and hold up to anything I have thrown at it. I have owned and still own several and will be selling all my 1911s to buy more.

I guess the simplicity has got me spoiled.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:21:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARmory04:

...........And finally, with all the issues, non-issues, that I have read and heard about the 1911, how are their reliability? I know, it's a 1911, etc., etc. But I want to hear it from my fellow boys in blue.
Also, I shoot quite a lot.(Especially for a police officer) I know some people may be surprised to hear that, but I really do. On the order of 3-400 rounds a month. So how do they (1911s) hold up?

I'm confused as to why you state "I want to carry a 1911", yet you know nothing about them? How do you know you want to carry one? Nothing against 1911s here, I've got 2 already and plans for my next 2. 1911s aren't for everyone, go buy one and shoot it for about 6 months and see if you still like it, or have issues with it, you can resell it if you don't like it.

Think about this; the US military replaced the 1911 with the Beretta M9 in '85/'86, today a LOT of special forces units are being issued refurbished 1911s, or apparently Kimbers (?).

A 1911 was my first gun (officers model), I've gone thru my stages of life where I carried Hi-Cap 9s, wheel guns, pocket pistol, ect, ect, now I'm back to the 1911 (Government model now), it just fits my body and carry style so well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:44:21 PM EDT
ARmory04

In my case, I carried a 1911 for 27 yrs. with the SO; a National Match on duty and a Commander off duty. Having grown up with this firearm, I was a natural for me. That said, RES has that right idea. It ain't for everybody. Since you would be betting your life on this pistol, you need to get one, shoot one and learn it like yourself. It is a fine fighting instrument but it does have it's idiosyncrasies. I agree in that you should put a lot of rounds through one to "learn "it. Good luck in your endeavors.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 6:43:40 PM EDT by ARmory04]

Originally Posted By Real_estate_salesman:

...........And finally, with all the issues, non-issues, that I have read and heard about the 1911, how are their reliability? I know, it's a 1911, etc., etc. But I want to hear it from my fellow boys in blue.

I'm confused as to why you state "I want to carry a 1911", yet you know nothing about them? How do you know you want to carry one? Nothing against 1911s here, I've got 2 already and plans for my next 2. 1911s aren't for everyone, go buy one and shoot it for about 6 months and see if you still like it, or have issues with it, you can resell it if you don't like it.

Think about this; the US military replaced the 1911 with the Beretta M9 in '85/'86, today a LOT of special forces units are being issued refurbished 1911s, or apparently Kimbers (?).

A 1911 was my first gun (officers model), I've gone thru my stages of life where I carried Hi-Cap 9s, wheel guns, pocket pistol, ect, ect, now I'm back to the 1911 (Government model now), it just fits my body and carry style so well.

First of all, I never said I knew nothing about them. But I am not so biased as to not listen to someone's opinion of them, and I have never carried one in a official capacity, where my life and possibly the public depend on it.

I traded a G22 for a Kimber Custom II about two years ago. The Kimber had approx. 8k rounds thru it, my G22 about 5-6k thru it. I loved the Kimber, but it would hiccup every now and then, and I did not trust it. I had it almost a year and put about 3,000 rounds thru it. Of course I could have changed this, and replaced that, but I felt it was like a "starter 1911" for me, and did not replace anything. I ended up selling it, and getting the Glock 34 eventually.

I realize what the U.S. Military did in the 80's, and also realize that some are issuing 1911's again.

Also, nothing you said in your post answered or attempted to answer any of my questions. Thanks anyway though.

(edited for paragraph form)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:39:47 AM EDT
I carry my TLE.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:55:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 1:10:49 PM EDT by rifle-cop624]
I'm re-writing our firearms policy, as we speak. I am wrapping up patrol rifle by the end of the week, and next up is service pistols. I will be writing a Individually owned, department approved type policy, using Las Vegas MPD's general order as a model.
Yes, 1911's will be allowed provided that the officer qualifies as a pistol master, and gets a letter from his Sergeant stating that the officer is mature, experienced, and cool under pressure. Then he/she must get approval from the Chief. Seems like alot of hoops to jump through, but we will be the only agency in the state (Maryland) to allow SA auto's. This has been no small task.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:02:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 11:02:48 AM EDT by ARmory04]

Originally Posted By dep4532:
I carry my TLE.

In a drop-leg holster for SWAT-type activities, or regular duty holster? Also, do you keep a light on it, or leave it off?

Thanks for everyone's replies
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:34:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 1:36:13 PM EDT by dep4532]

I carry my TLE.

In a drop-leg holster for SWAT-type activities, or regular duty holster? Also, do you keep a light on it, or leave it off?

Thanks for everyone's replies

Sorry...I should have specified. I carry it in a Safariland 6004 for SWAT. I also carry it off duty.

No light.

ETA: The 1911 type pistols are approved for regular patrol, I just haven't purchased the holster for it yet (still carry the Glock).
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:54:34 PM EDT
I'm assuming it's been good to you so far?

I sometimes bounce back and forth with getting a Glock 21, or getting another 220 when (if) I leave.

As far as models are concerned, any recommendations? I don't feel like I'm starting a war with this question, as it's about carrying something for duty.

I've gotten to the point where I've owned or shot so many pistols I liked, now I'm just confused

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:04:07 PM EDT
As 27 year veteran, I've carried lots of different sidearms. I started with a wheel gun (Smith Model 27, .357). Then switched to a model 59 smith 9mm. I won't go into the deatails here, but I found out the hard way that the 9mm was less than effective. I bought my first .45 in '82. I carried several varients of it, Gold cup, Commander, etc. In '85 I bought one of the first Colt Stainless government models. I had it overhauled (Standard practice with an out of the box colt). I've been carrying it ever since. It's totally reliable. It's more accurate than I can shoot it. I used to have a nice collection of handguns. I found that anytime I needed to reach for one, I always came up with that stainless colt in my hand. I have sold off most of my collections, as i finally came to the conclusion that there was no point in having a bunch of guns that I never use. Besides the stainless colt, I have a couple of 1911's that I hung onto. I just don't see the need for anything else.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:06:43 PM EDT

I sometimes bounce back and forth with getting a Glock 21, or getting another 220 when (if) I leave.

As far as models are concerned, any recommendations? I don't feel like I'm starting a war with this question, as it's about carrying something for duty.

I've gotten to the point where I've owned or shot so many pistols I liked, now I'm just confused

Never a hiccup!

You really need to get what you are the most comfortable with. I like the Glock 21, but I can't shoot it worth a damn. It's too big for my small hands. I have owned a P220 and would have no problem transitioning back to it.

As far as models...I personally like the TLE. Nights sights are a must and the 30 LPI checkering on the front strap really helps with a more positive grip. YMMV.

Analyze what you need the pistol for, that should aid you in narrowing down the field. I have shot handguns most of my life and have shot alot that I really like, but are totally impractical for my needs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:20:26 PM EDT
I carried a 1911 (Springfield Operator TRP) for quite a while but I recently switched to a Glock. My main reasons for doing this were simplicity and weight. While I had trained a lot with my 1911 I didnt want to take the chance of having a gun shoved in my face and having to draw and fire with out thought or hesitation. Most officers have never had a gun pulled on them that fast so we dont know how we will react, hopefully training will take over and we will deal with the situation, but my thinking is, the less I have to fumble with and think about in a gun fight the better. I still LOVE my 1911 though

Steve
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:19:01 AM EDT
I qualify and carry a Kimber 1911 Compact Custom .45 for off-duty and plain clothes department carry. I carried it for over a year as a plain clothes investigator and wouldn't have anything different. I would carry one in uniform if they would let us.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 12:06:52 PM EDT by npd233]

+1 on the Stainless Colt Government model. I've been carrying mine for almost 12 years

I also use a Kimber Pro CDP and got a Tactical Custom II not too long ago.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:31:03 PM EDT

Never a hiccup!

You really need to get what you are the most comfortable with. I like the Glock 21, but I can't shoot it worth a damn. It's too big for my small hands. I have owned a P220 and would have no problem transitioning back to it.

As far as models...I personally like the TLE. Nights sights are a must and the 30 LPI checkering on the front strap really helps with a more positive grip. YMMV.

Analyze what you need the pistol for, that should aid you in narrowing down the field. I have shot handguns most of my life and have shot alot that I really like, but are totally impractical for my needs.

I need the pistol to carry everyday for duty, and to shoot, and practice, and shoot, and so on . . . .My life and possibly someone elses' may depend on it working 100%.

It is also the equivilant of a jungle climate in south Louisiana this time of year, so rust is an ever present concern, except for Glocks of course. Although my Sig has not been bad.

And I am somewhat concerned with the weight (You guys that pull 12hr rotations like me know what I'm talking about)

Again, thanks for everyone's input

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:39:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 9:43:19 AM EDT by txleapd]
Based on reading your posts, I would suggest that you either stick with your Sig, or just go with a Glock again. 1911's are not for everyone, and your heart doesn't seem set on it. If you aren't just dead set on carrying one, and investing the time, practice and effort into it, then it is potentially more of a liability than an asset.

1911's are heavy, big, carry fewer rounds, and have more controls to manipulate in order to get it ready to fire than most semi-auto pistols out there today. They are also reliable, inherently more accurate, have less felt recoil, point more naturally, and can be customized to fit any preference.

I don't believe some people's hype that 1911's are just the pistols of grand pistoleros, or that unless you carry one you're not a worthy shooter (yep, I've honestly heard this type of crap before). I also don't believe that just because someone carries a Glock means that they are automatically the lowest common denominator (yep, I've honestly heard this crap too). Some of the best shooters I know carry Glocks.

It does take more time and effort to become proficient with a 1911. You get out of anything what you put into it. Carrying a 1911 takes a solid dedication to carry a 1911.

Of course all of this is just my humble opinion, I could just be talking out of my ass....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 5:13:43 PM EDT by ARmory04]
Not talking out of the ole' ass; I appreciate the suggestions.

But my preferences + my needs + my climate + my wants + my budget , probably = Glock 21. Ok, well, maybe back to the ever faithful G34.

Again thanks everyone . .
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:35:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:41:01 PM EDT

Not talking out of the ole' ass; I appreciate the suggestions.

But my preferences + my needs + my climate + my wants + my budget , probably = Glock 21. Ok, well, maybe back to the ever faithful G34.

Again thanks everyone . .

Hey, nothing wrong with a 9mm glock. Holds a lot or rounds, modern ammo is just as effective as as any other service caliber. Great guns.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:07:44 AM EDT
I have carried a 1911 before. It was real "neat" but when I did the math, it was too hard not to switch. I now carry a G22 with m3 light in a safariland 6280. 46rds of duty ammo just as powerful as the the 25 rounds of 45 that I used to carry. And don't give me all that .45 is more powerful crap. I have been carrying the 165gr partition gold, and it is as nasty as they come. 1911's are great, but there are other things out there that make more sense.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:37:45 AM EDT
My agency allows us to carry .45's, but only in double action autos. So I carry a Para Ordnance C7-45LDA "Companion". It is basically the same size as a Colt Officers Model. I work in plainclothes and carry it both on and off duty in either a Blade Tech paddle holster or in a Milt Sparks "Summer Special" IWB rig.

I have never had any problems with mine, although I have heard that Para Ordnance did have some issues with the early magazines.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:45:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ldawg:
I have carried a 1911 before. It was real "neat" but when I did the math, it was too hard not to switch. I now carry a G22 with m3 light in a safariland 6280. 46rds of duty ammo just as powerful as the the 25 rounds of 45 that I used to carry. And don't give me all that .45 is more powerful crap. I have been carrying the 165gr partition gold, and it is as nasty as they come. 1911's are great, but there are other things out there that make more sense.

While I agree that there are pros and cons for carrying a 1911 on duty, for me the former out weighs the latter. Although I am very proficient with my G22, I am dead on, scary accurate with my 1911. For me, follow ups and double taps are extremely fast and I am able to keep MUCH tighter groups. A 1911 simply fits my hand soooo much better. It points and balances much more naturally.

In the end, I have a confidence with my 1911 that I just don't feel with my G22. For me this is more important than round count. Beside, I carry 4 extra 8 round mags, so I carry a total of 41 rounds.

By my math that's only 5 rounds less than I carried with my G22.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:47:37 PM EDT
As far as .40's are concerned; I've owned 3. A G22(sold), a Beretta 96SD(sold), and a G27(sold).
I just cannot justify the price of ammo, the snappy recoil, and the relative inaccuracy of the round, to justify its' use. I feel that if I want all that, I'd just assume to move up to a .45.
I reeeeaaally want to like the round, it has a lot going for it, but, damn, I just don't shoot it that well. Now give me a .357 Sig, .45ACP, 9mm, etc., I surprise myself. Maybe I've just had three lemons. I dunno.

Either way, I've considered buying another 1911 for duty, but I am now coming back to the light I once saw . . . . . . .
Top Top