Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2004 4:01:42 PM EDT
My new computer has a DVD burner on it. It also has software to let me burn stuff but every DVD I place in said it's copy protected. Now I know there is software out there that will let me get past this copy write stuff but I don't know where to look for it. I know it is illegal but I hate having to buy my kids there favorite movies three and four times because they scratch them up so much. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:03:08 PM EDT
google DVDShrink, it's free and it's what you need. You decode the DVD and create an image file of the disc with it, then burn it using your burner program of choice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:09:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2004 4:11:12 PM EDT by lordtrader]
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:10:48 PM EDT
I copy dvds for that reason also. I use DVD XCopy
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:19:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2005 4:39:22 PM EDT by ByteTheBullet]
I use DVDShrink. It integrates with Nero for seemless copying. The compression does great. I have copied MANY DVDs without a problem. No 'Backup copy' message either. Also, you cannot use DVD Xcopy to copy a copy...uh, backup a backup...made with DVD X Copy.

eta: Damn, bad mistake...fixed in blue.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:20:13 PM EDT
Here's all you need.

DVD Decrypter

DVD Shrink

Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:21:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:24:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tayous1:
My new computer has a DVD burner on it. It also has software to let me burn stuff but every DVD I place in said it's copy protected. Now I know there is software out there that will let me get past this copy write stuff but I don't know where to look for it. I know it is illegal but I hate having to buy my kids there favorite movies three and four times because they scratch them up so much. Thanks for the help.

It's not illegal to copy your own purchased DVD's for personal backup. Do it, if your kids destroy them frequently. In fact, let them handle the copies, and keep the originals somewhere safe.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:27:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2005 4:41:23 PM EDT by ByteTheBullet]

Originally Posted By lordtrader:

Originally Posted By ByteTheBullet:
I use DVD Shrink also. It integrates with Nero for seemless copying. The compression does great. I have coied MANY DVDs without a problem. No 'Backup copy' message either. Also, you cannot use DVD Xcopy to copy a copy...uh, backup a backup...made with DVD X Copy.

ByteTheBullet (-:

DVD DeCrypter huh? Will it work Roxio Easy Media 7???

BTW that is what I use to back up a DVD X Copy back up.

Nope, it was written to work with Nero. I could help with that.

eta: Damn, what was I drinking that nite? Fixed blue...

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:27:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2004 4:28:21 PM EDT by blueshockey]
Just installed a 2.0 USB card in my 3 year old desktop. What a difference in speed it makes with DVD back-ups!

From like 1hr:20mins to around 10mins to burn a DVD.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:39:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:43:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2005 4:42:29 PM EDT by ByteTheBullet]

Originally Posted By lordtrader:
Just downloaded both DVD Shrink and Decrypter. Took a look at their functions, just my opinion. I still like DVD X Copy Platinum.

All: Don't let the fact that they are freeware programs fool you. Also, once set up DVD Shrink only takes a few mouse clicks from then on. But everyone has there own tastes. Use what works for you!

eta: Crap, what was my problem that nite? Fixed in blue.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:44:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By the:

Originally Posted By tayous1:

It's not illegal to copy your own purchased DVD's for personal backup. Do it, if your kids destroy them frequently. In fact, let them handle the copies, and keep the originals somewhere safe.

Exactly! - I make backups (movie only, no extras) because I have had too many Disc's damaged. Now I use a music CD notebook to store the DVD's I watch often on my beds headboard. The Originals stay in there cases in storage boxes in my storeroom.

I rip with DVDDecryptor
Encode with DVDShrink
make a *.IMG file using IMGTool
Burn using DVDDecryptor.

All free warez that work great.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:44:46 PM EDT
How come my disk drive won't even recognize the disk?
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:49:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2004 4:49:48 PM EDT by Zardoz]

Originally Posted By Panzerwolf:

Some (too many) DVD burners are pretty picky about the brands of disks that will work with them. The POS Lite-On I had would work with exactly 1 type of 1 brand of disk; shit, the damned thing didn't even work with the disks that CAME with it. I bought an NEC drive for less than half what I paid for that Lite-on piece of shit, and it burns any kind of blank disk I can fit into it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:53:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zardoz:

Originally Posted By Panzerwolf:

Some (too many) DVD burners are pretty picky about the brands of disks that will work with them. The POS Lite-On I had would work with exactly 1 type of 1 brand of disk; shit, the damned thing didn't even work with the disks that CAME with it. I bought an NEC drive for less than half what I paid for that Lite-on piece of shit, and it burns any kind of blank disk I can fit into it.

I have that shitty brand, what disks does it work wit?
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 4:54:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:03:20 PM EDT
DVD Shrink - Rips and shrinks in one package, plus it can be integrated with Nero.
No need to use DVD Decrypter, DVD X-Copy, DVD Ripper or any of the other programs.

Now get a Netflix account.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:05:18 PM EDT
did you get the right DVD disks? lots of different types out there
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:06:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:10:03 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:15:31 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:32:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:36:03 PM EDT
I have DVDxCopy, but I still use DVDshrink. DVDxcopy hasn't been ran in ages.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:41:02 PM EDT
need to try for later work.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:44:35 PM EDT
Geez everyone, I do not know what my issue was that nite, but I was really screwed up/cornfused.

I use DVDShrink and Nero...damn, I apologize.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:46:13 PM EDT
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:51:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2005 4:53:00 PM EDT by mjrowley]
DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter work awesome for me as well.

Just a tip, go to the DVD Decrypter forums to get tips on movies that wont rip or burn. There is always a solution posted.

Had it happen to me twice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:56:35 PM EDT
the newer dvdshrink you can either rip to vobs or just rip it to a ISO image file.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:59:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cyrax777:
the newer dvdshrink you can either rip to vobs or just rip it to a ISO image file.

And then burn with Nero, from inside DVDShrink...don't forget that!

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:04:29 PM EDT
Tag-o-matic.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:24:52 PM EDT
Tag
my 1st burner will be here wednesday
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:42:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:27:56 PM EDT
I just got a DVD burner for christmas (a Sony DW-D22A which is just a rebadged OEM version of the Lite-On 1633) and I've been using DVDShrink with zero problems. It's so fast and easy with no complicated setup or process to copy.

Also, check out www.videohelp.com. You can go to the DVD media section and do searches on types of blank DVDs you're thinking of buying and get user reviews on them, with lists of what players/burners various users had tried them with.

I just got some cheapass Khypermedia 4x DVD-R discs from OfficeMax on sale for $16 for a 50 pack, labeled "Value Disk" and they have worked perfectly for me (with a relatively cheap KLH DVD player).

I also picked up a 100 pack of DVD cases from www.supermediastore.com for $25 delivered. You can then either scan in DVD covers or go to www.cdcovers.cc and search the DVD cover section and print out the covers to use on the DVD cases. Works awesome.

I've already doubled the size of my DVD collection just since Christmas....

Check out Blockbuster's Online service or Netflix... I went with Blockbuster due to it being $14.99 a month plus getting 2 free in-store rentals a month so I could rent some Xbox games as well...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 9:29:15 PM EDT
Now explain why:

A DVD backed up to a DVD+R via DVD Shrink will play in my stand alone player.

An MPEG written to a CDR will play in my stand alone player.

An MPEG written to a DVD+R will NOT play in my stand alone player.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 10:03:06 PM EDT
Tag-a-roo
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 11:27:47 PM EDT
Can you burn xbox or PS2 games?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 11:33:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:
Now explain why:

I would guess that the second was properly formatted as a VCD, while the third wasn't.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:46:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sierrabravofour:

Yeah, but you need a modchip of somekind installed in the system to allow it to read the copied games. In the case of the Xbox you have to network the xbox to your computer to read/copy the disc, as it can't be read in your standard computer DVD drive if I understand it correctly (not 100% sure on the process, as I haven't modded my Xbox or started burning games for mine yet...). Check www.xbox-scene.com for more info.

I believe with the PS2 you can straight up copy the games, and there may be some "swap tricks" you can do to avoid permanently modding the console, not sure...
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:23:17 AM EDT
tagged for posterity....
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:29:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ProfGAB101:
Exactly! - I make backups (movie only, no extras) because I have had too many Disc's damaged. Now I use a music CD notebook to store the DVD's I watch often on my beds headboard. The Originals stay in there cases in storage boxes in my storeroom.

I rip with DVDDecryptor
Encode with DVDShrink
make a *.IMG file using IMGTool
Burn using DVDDecryptor.

All free warez that work great.

No need to do all that. Just tell DVDShrink (newer versions) to "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" on the first option page after clicking Backup!
It'll rip it, compress if needed (you can customize the compression and what gets compressed, but I prefer to use the re-author option and pull out just the movie and then remove other language audio tracks for less compression - takes seconds to do this), write the ISO and then fire up DVD Decrypter and ask for a blank to burn the image to (if you have a DVD Burner and DVD-ROM you can put the movie in the ROM and a blank in the burner and walk away - it'll be completed when you come back - with little to no compression my system takes about 15 minutes to rip and burn a movie).
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:23:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR-15Fan:
I just got a DVD burner for christmas (a Sony DW-D22A which is just a rebadged OEM version of the Lite-On 1633) and I've been using DVDShrink with zero problems. It's so fast and easy with no complicated setup or process to copy.

Also, check out www.videohelp.com. You can go to the DVD media section and do searches on types of blank DVDs you're thinking of buying and get user reviews on them, with lists of what players/burners various users had tried them with.

I just got some cheapass Khypermedia 4x DVD-R discs from OfficeMax on sale for $16 for a 50 pack, labeled "Value Disk" and they have worked perfectly for me (with a relatively cheap KLH DVD player).

I also picked up a 100 pack of DVD cases from www.supermediastore.com for $25 delivered. You can then either scan in DVD covers or go to www.cdcovers.cc and search the DVD cover section and print out the covers to use on the DVD cases. Works awesome.

I've already doubled the size of my DVD collection just since Christmas....

Check out Blockbuster's Online service or Netflix... I went with Blockbuster due to it being $14.99 a month plus getting 2 free in-store rentals a month so I could rent some Xbox games as well...

Um guys this kind of stuff will get this thread locked and trashed.

DVD burners are just used to back up your purchased DVD's so that you wont scratch them.

Not to make copy's of disks you don't own.

As for X box games you will have to get a chip that will cause your XBOX to go out of warranty.

Maybe I'm just a bit nervous after the stuff going on in AZ Hometown...
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:42:48 AM EDT

yes but your console would have to have a chip changed in it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:45:53 AM EDT
dvd shrink and nero easy to use, to backup your movies. so the orginal don't get messed up

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:03:42 AM EDT
Tagged

Stuff I would like to know but haven't had time to mess with.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:17:26 PM EDT
tagged for the good info....
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:42:24 PM EDT
I just got my dvd burner today. Purchased DVD X Copy back in may of 04 when I heard that they were going to stop selling it. I tried activating it now and the license ID is not accepted. I did some research and found that if the software wasnt registered before 11/04 it will not be supported. So now I'm out over $50 because of procrastination.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:24:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:
Now explain why:

I'm gonna guess that your standalone player checks the "booktype" of the disk and refuses to play non-DVD-ROM disks. DVDShrink probably changes the booktype (what's called "bitsetting"), tricking the player.

Which DVD writer do you own, and do you know if it does bitsetting?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:31:51 PM EDT
I do all my DVD back-ups with DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Maybe 75 titles, happy so far. I have to back up most DVD's and CD's, grandkids hang around here a lot...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:34:21 PM EDT

I know for the PS2 there are Liberator chips that can play games sold overseas, the same PS2 game you pay $10US for here you can get for $1 overseas, everything "pirated".....
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 9:37:14 PM EDT
DVD Shrink and Roxio.
Sometimes, Shrink won't work, and then I use Decrypter.
Not often. usually after the kids have f-d up the DVDs very badly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top