Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/11/2006 5:16:20 PM EST
So I do not want this to turn into a religion thread, as this can be cultural beliefs as much as anything. Who believes in people being possesed by evil "spirits"?

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:32:22 PM EST
An internal evil spirit...sure.
An external evil spirit...probably not.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:33:50 PM EST
No
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:33:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By B-Splat:
An internal evil spirit...sure.
An external evil spirit...probably not.

+1

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:34:14 PM EST
Jesus cast demons out of people so the answer is a definite yes.

HH
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:42:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By HoustonHusker:

HH

+1
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:50:36 PM EST
I don't follow any faith, I'm agnostic. But if you saw the Exorcism of Emily Rose where the Dr. that studied the possesion/exocism rituals of various cultures, I was fascinated by her explanation and think she may be onto something. Because many more people than just catlolics have this sort of thing in their culture. And I would be open to the possibility that there are non-physical entities who might like to f*ck with people. Not to say that they are demons in the biblical sense, but something like that might exist, and hyper sensitve people may be at greater risk... so I voted not sure.

I do think that some people are beyond help and I think that most doctors and shinks have a god complex and rule out anything they don't or won't understand.

I have had several experiences in my life to make me open to the possiblity of supernatural phenomonon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:51:33 PM EST

HH

What he said.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:53:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By Evil_ATF:

HH

What he said.

What he said he said
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:55:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:56:26 PM EST
If you don't believe in it, you haven't seen enough of human life, because people do things which are otherwise totally inexplicable. I've seen some of those things, and that's what led me to believe that "demonic possession" is not a metaphor.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:57:37 PM EST
i dont believe in god, angels, demons, santa claus, the easter bunny or any of that other stuff, so the answer is a definite NO!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:58:38 PM EST
I was raised a Catholic. I remember when a younger priest was transferred to my grade school from Chicago. This was about the time when the film...The Exorcist...came out. We had weekly chat time to discuss religion or current events and the topic came up. Father Frank said he had assisted in an exorcism said they are very real. But the film was inaccurate in terms of a possesed individual having super human strength or levitating. He said the person can become quite ill and verbally abusive. The other key thing (or tip) is they have a knowledge of things they otherwise would not know and can speak in different languages even though they had no prior experience.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:03:10 PM EST

HH

+ 4

quote]Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
i dont believe in god, angels, demons, santa claus, the easter bunny or any of that other stuff, so the answer is a definite NO!

NT, I'll pray for you brother

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:04:50 PM EST
Historically, say in the Bible, alright. But these days where people come out and say they are posessed. Bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:06:58 PM EST
People are evil enough as it is. No need to blame it on the supernatural.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:07:57 PM EST
I only believe in Raj and one day he will surely destroy this world...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:11:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
I only believe in Raj and one day he will surely destroy this world...

Raj the IT guy where I work?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:14:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By all4freedom:
Historically, say in the Bible, alright. But these days where people come out and say they are posessed. Bullshit.

+1. Anybody who says "I'm possessed" is full of shit.

However, someone with no history of mental illness who gets up from the couch, kicks the oven up to 450* and sticks a 3-day old baby in it, well, that's a horse of a different color. So is a guy who sits watching TV with his longtime GF and then out of nowhere stabs her with a bread knife till the blade breaks off, goes into the kitchen for a fresh knife and resumes stabbing for a total of ~ 65 thoracic wounds and who knows how many defensive wounds, leaving NO SIGN OF A STRUGGLE. Or how about somebody who boils a baby to death in a soup pot, or hangs one - weighing no more than 9 or 10 lbs - by a piece of clothesline from a hook on the back of a closet door? That is definitely strange business. Definitely the sort of thing to broaden one's horizons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:16:31 PM EST
One other thing. Both my parents are born again (evangelical) Chrisitans. They have spent extensive time on mission trips and both have said they have witnessed miracles .... which of course ... grew their faith immensely. I have not ever witnessed any miracles but will have to live off my meager faith alone. I know my parents would never lie about such a thing and these experiences really drove home the point that there is more to this world than meets the naked eye.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:21:11 PM EST
I have been possesed by the Flying Spagetti Monster. I am experiencing a mysterious urge to dress up like a pirate, and consume vast quantities of Spagetti, with a nice topping of meatballs and sauce.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:22:15 PM EST
i'm posessed with BRD.... does that count?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:31:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Sgt_Rock:
One other thing. Both my parents are born again (evangelical) Chrisitans. They have spent extensive time on mission trips and both have said they have witnessed miracles .... which of course ... grew their faith immensely. I have not ever witnessed any miracles but will have to live off my meager faith alone. I know my parents would never lie about such a thing and these experiences really drove home the point that there is more to this world than meets the naked eye.

I like using a microscope
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:34:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 6:34:48 PM EST by blacklisted]
I'm possessed with Satan's cousin's spirit. Sometimes I have violent fits, but usually it helps me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:21:30 PM EST
Yes!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:38:21 PM EST
clean_cut
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:40:30 PM EST
Yes. Absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:42:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:

You don't believe in demons? You've obviously never lived with a woman that has PMS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:43:35 PM EST

HH

100% right on
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:47:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Sgt_Rock:
The other key thing (or tip) is they have a knowledge of things they otherwise would not know and can speak in different languages even though they had no prior experience.

This is the bread winner for me, if I see someone speaking in a tongue that has been dead to civilization for 1000+ years and only recognizable by a scholar, then it is proof enough (not counting my faith in Christ already) that there are forces beyond our life that can act upon or influence our actions.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:12:41 PM EST
There are a few things I've yet to outrule in this life.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:19:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By GabbasaurusRex:

There's ALWAYS a rational answer. Attributing it to "god" or supernatural forces is just a cop out for finding out the truth
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:22:32 PM EST

There's ALWAYS a rational answer. Attributing it to "god" or supernatural forces is just a cop out for finding out the truth

+1
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:24:31 PM EST

Are you claiming that God is not rational?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:25:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

That's exactally what i am claiming. Flame all you want, but that is MY personal belief.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:26:28 PM EST

That's exactally what i am claiming. Flame all you want, but that is MY personal belief.

I just fail to see how God is supernatural.
God created the world, the natural order, ergo, God is nature itself.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:29:14 PM EST

I dont believe a god exists. I believe that the universe, life, and anything else happened on its own, without any kind of divine creation or direction.

In my experience (and not to demean you) people who could not find an answer for something just resort to "god made it/wants it that way". I believe that is total BS. Everything EVERYTHING has a reason, an explanation that does NOT involve a god.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:33:04 PM EST

I dont believe a god exists. I believe that the universe, life, and anything else happened on its own, without any kind of divine creation or direction.

In my experience (and not to demean you) people who could not find an answer for something just resort to "god made it/wants it that way". I believe that is total BS. Everything EVERYTHING has a reason, an explanation that does NOT involve a god.

So just to clarify...
Having blind faith in a rational being that created everything for a purpose is silly.
Having blind faith in a random series of events that put random things together to create a rational world is not silly?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:37:34 PM EST

So just to clarify...
Having blind faith in a rational being that created everything for a purpose is silly.
Having blind faith in a random series of events that put random things together to create a rational world is not silly?

I dont consider my faith in science to be blind. There is overwhelming evidence that supports the scientific explanation for the form the universe has today.
I see zero evidence for god beyond annecdotal examples and attributed events. The more science uncovers, the more improbable "god" becomes. It seems it is getting harder and harder for people of faith to reconcile their beliefs with the facts that are presented to them.

Evolution, the big bang, geological time, all of these things have stretched faith to the limit, and in my opinion, past the breaking point.

Again, I respect your beliefs, and I am merely stating mine. Take it or leave it, but that is how I feel.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:43:14 PM EST

So just to clarify...

I dont consider my faith in science to be blind. There is overwhelming evidence that supports the scientific explanation for the form the universe has today.
I see zero evidence for god beyond annecdotal examples and attributed events. The more science uncovers, the more improbable "god" becomes. It seems it is getting harder and harder for people of faith to reconcile their beliefs with the facts that are presented to them.

Evolution, the big bang, geological time, all of these things have stretched faith to the limit, and in my opinion, past the breaking point.

Again, I respect your beliefs, and I am merely stating mine. Take it or leave it, but that is how I feel.

What set the big bang in motion?
You don't ascribe to the "divine watchmaker" theory?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:44:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:47:19 PM EST

So just to clarify...

I'm comfortable answering that with "I don't know".

No need to replace every instance of "I don't know" with "because the Flying Spagetti Monster said let there be a universe".

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:48:05 PM EST

You don't ascribe to the "divine watchmaker" theory?

I'll admit the "what was there before the BB" and "what set off the BB" are tough questions, and I dont have an answer to that yet, but I believe there is an answer out there that does not involve a divine being. I do not ascribe to the "divine watchmaker" theory. I think it fails to give credit to the evolutionary process. It is very tough to wrap my head around, but I believe that things "just are" there is no goal of life or evolution. There is no direction because there is no destination. Things "just are", including humans. We are here to do what we do, it's just that simple. I don't think we are here to serve any god, to serve any purpose other than try to make our lives better and make the lives of those around us better.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:51:00 PM EST
I was an eyewitness to a certain set of behaviours in an individual once. The unnatural voice can be rationalized away. The crowd in the background also I heard coming of of the guys mouth can't.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:01:57 PM EST
I believe that people can certainly be 110% convinced that they are in fact posessed by demons, and do their part quite well. Whether the cause of that is posession by demons or not I have no idea.

If they're helped by exorcism, so much the better. If not, they have drugs for that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:02:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:

No need to replace every instance of "I don't know" with "because the Flying Spagetti Monster said let there be a universe".

It's a LOT better than pretending you know.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:05:39 PM EST

Agreed.
I myself don't know for sure.
I like to think it there is a rational being behind things, but I don't know.
Blind faith, be it in religion, or in aethism is simply foolish.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:08:34 PM EST

Very well said
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:10:01 PM EST

Agreed.
I myself don't know for sure.
I like to think it there is a rational being behind things, but I don't know.

I believe what makes the most reasonable sense.

If God made himself known tommarow without doubt, God would become science.

Science is the search for and attempt at understanding the truth. Nothing more, nothing less.

It has three basic categories:

1. Stuff we know.

2. Stuff we "think" we know.

3. We have no fucking idea.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:30:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
If you don't believe in it, you haven't seen enough of human life, because people do things which are otherwise totally inexplicable. I've seen some of those things, and that's what led me to believe that "demonic possession" is not a metaphor.

+1

I used to be in the

crowd. That was before I lived in Brazil (2 years as a missionary in Bahia, 2.5 years as a translator/interpreter in Sao Paulo). I have seen more voodoo/black magick/macumba/candomble/etc. than I care to remember. There is a lot to the weak-willed/minded stuff. Suffice to say that I have seen possession first hand on multiple occasions. I don't care to go into details.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:36:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By SST7:
Suffice to say that I have seen possession first hand on multiple occasions. I don't care to go into details.

Details will be needed to judge this story.

I would like to know if possession is true. It seems a little farfetched to me.

If you have firsthand indisputable evidence....why not share it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top