Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2004 5:12:46 PM EDT
These days, you can't listen to the radio, MTV or BET without the constant use of the "N" word every ten seconds. This fact made me wonder who uses the "N" word more often, Whites or Blacks?

I'm thinking African Americans (blacks) use the "N" word about five or ten times as much as white folks do nowadays. I'm including all the derivatives of the "N" word which is common in the Ebonical dialect.

What do you guys think? Does the commonality make it kosher for Whites to use the "N" word and it's derivatives, or is it a word for Blacks only?

HS1
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
how about white people (with no black friends) who use it to identify themselves.   not the usual wigger type but just average white people.  it's a strange country.  don't ask me to explain what some folks do.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually asked a friend of mine (black) and he said that it didn't matter to him. Since blacks say the "N" word so much I don't see the problem. Even if blacks hardly ever/never said I still don't see any problem with it. ETA: This thread should have a poll.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
"They" do. "They" also get by with racial slurs against other groups without the PC police giving it a second thought.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Them
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Them

Racial slurs are not in my vocabulary.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Me. I say it all the time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
To me it depends on who is saying it (and the way it is being said) and the audience (and how it is received).

But, I don't know crap...per my daughter.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"They" do. "They" also get by with racial slurs against other groups without the PC police giving it a second thought.

Yes, I've been told by them, "How can I be a racist in a racist society?"  

Yeah, okay.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Who's THEM?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Who's THEM?

You know, THEM.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Blacks because if a white uses it they get in trouble. Mark Furman and OJ. B'ham white cop, mic was stuck in the on position, said the N word, front page news for two weeks, firing etc.... I was a cop for a very long time. Almost every black cop I knew used the N word on a regular basis almost like it was the perps name. Only heard on very few occassions a white cop using the n word.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Them

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#13]
them...

we get shitkicked and accused of racism

they get high fives and shiznit like that....

go figure

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have posted a thread similar to this before. I just dont get it. Why are people using this word as if it means nothing all of a sudden? I was sitting in the van waiting for my son to get out of football practice the other day and overheard a conversation that some of the coaches were having privately. They were frequently using the words "nigger" and "white boy" during the talk. It was out of earshot of the kids, but some of us could hear them. I lost all respect for those guys.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#15]
oh dude, blacks use it WAAAAAY more than whites.  10 to 1 or more.  

It pisses me off that it's ok for a black to say "nigger" but not a white.    What REAAALLY gets my goat is that teammates of mine  would call me "cracka" and "homeboy"  "whitey" and "redneck" all the time and it was funny and I never got my undies in a bunch. But if I would have said  "yo nigga!"  I'd probably get sued.

Pure D double standard.

White males are the last bastion of "abusable" demographics.  You can beat on us allllll you want and nobody says anything. Oh and fat people.  I got double dosage cause I'm a white male with a gut.    Easy target
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
This reminds me of what happened at my grandmother’s garage sale. A black women called in about an item we advertised in the paper and asked us to put it aside. (She could tell she was black by talking to her on the phone) Later that day a white guy wanted to buy the grill, my grandmother told the guy that a colored women called earlier and she was holding it for her. The man said I know that was my wife. That was an awkward moment. Do they get mad if you call them colored?  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't Don Rickles use the N word in his routine all the time?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have posted a thread similar to this before. I just dont get it. Why are people using this word as if it means nothing all of a sudden? I was sitting in the van waiting for my son to get out of football practice the other day and overheard a conversation that some of the coaches were having privately. They were frequently using the words "nigger" and "white boy" during the talk. It was out of earshot of the kids, but some of us could hear them. I lost all respect for those guys.

This should be an interesting discussion when "US" and "THEM" aren't defined, and it's difficult to tell a person's skin color from a computer text.  

I don't know that US, THEM, etc. can really be answer for.....A particular person....now that's another matter...

I got a better question:   "Does it really matter?"    
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This reminds me of what happened at my grandmother’s garage sale. A black women called in about an item we advertised in the paper and asked us to put it aside. (She could tell she was black by talking to her on the phone) Later that day a white guy wanted to but the grill, my grandmother told the guy that a colored women called earlier and she was holding it for her. The man said I know that was my wife. That was an awkward moment. Do they get made if you call them colored?  

I'm going to use colored untill the NAACP changes it's name.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#20]
fucking racial trolls.......

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You're one of my favs here, Cav, but I disagree with you on this one. What? Can't anyone bring up any issue about race anymore without being chastised for "racial" crimes?

C'mon, dude. Lighten up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#22]
who's "us" and "them"? arfcommers and antis?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#24]
also: IBTL
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

There is an extreme amount of hypocrisy among blacks regarding race relations.  The finger is rarely pointed at them by anyone out of fear.  

CavVet, you should not take any of this personally as I doubt that the references herein are intended to apply to a conservative, squared-away former soldier as yourself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Them

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#27]
By using the term "us or them" you are assuming everyone here is white.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's a real world example of how the inappropriate use of the term should be addressed:

In my police agency, an officer had a run-in with a black guy.  The officer told the guy he was acting like  a "nigga."  Result: suspension without pay.

In this case, the officer was also black.

Is this any different from a white officer doing the same and pronouncing it "nigger"?

Not in my book.  Equal punishment for the same offense.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Here's a real world example of how the inappropriate use of the term should be addressed:

In my police agency, an officer had a run-in with a black guy.  The officer told the guy he was acting like  a "nigga."  Result: suspension without pay.

Is this any different from a white officer doing the same and pronouncing it "nigger"?

A white guy would probably have been fired.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A white guy would probably have been fired.

Well, just imagine if the news media became involved and the officer was white.  I think you would be correct.  The white officer gets fired.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#31]
First of all, forget the racism card and don't bother to play it! I resent any implications that i'm racist.

The "Us or Them" isn't an issue unless one of two things are happening with the offended person.

a) Hypersensitivity which causes the individual to immediately play the race card. That's an easy one.
b) Trying to turn a normal thread into a racially charged issue.

I just find it attrocious that such a nasty, useless and unproductive word gets thrown around like it's nothing, in order to replace a proper noun. I find it equally distasteful when Caucasians or African Americans use this specific word. However, I feel AA's do themselves a great disservice by constantly referring to themselves as "N" this or "N" that. It's ignorant and akin to self-demoralization. There is no redeeming quality to the "N" word and I condemn it's usage by anyone.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I've been told by them, "How can I be a racist in a racist society?"  

Yeah, okay.  

you got that right!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Rappers and black comedians have changed the meaning of the word. They have desensitized the youth of this country to the original derogatory meaning.  It now appears to be acceptable if used in the right circumstances. Still, you will not hear it from my, or my childrens, mouth ever. I guess that makes me old.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Still, you will not hear it from my, or my childrens, mouth ever. I guess that makes me old.

Same here! Maybe being "old" means you'll raise your kids better and teach them the values which seem to be lost these days. Respect, courtesy, pride, ambition and compassion are going the way of the dinosaur. But that's another story altogether!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess this stuff is ok to say... You might even get to play in a movie.

“Now I’m black but black people trip [become upset] ‘cause white people like me; white people like me but don’t like them. . . . I don’t hate whites, I just gotta death wish for motherfuckers that ain’t right”

“Race War”; Ice-T, Home Invasion, 1993, Priority Records, Thorn EMI; now called The EMI Group, United Kingdom.

“.44 ways to get paid. . . . I’m through with talking to these devils; now I’m ready to blast”

“44 Wayz—featuring Mystic”; Paris, Unleashed, 1998, Unleashed Records, Whirling Records.

“Like my niggas from South Central Los Angeles they found that they couldn’t handle us; Bloods, CRIPS, on the same squad, with the Essays [Latino gangbangers] up, and nigga, it’s time to rob and mob and break the white man off something lovely”

“The Day the Niggaz Took Over”; Dr Dre, The Chronic, 1993, Interscope Records, under Time Warner in 1993.

“Deal with the devil with my motherfucking steel [handgun]. . . . white man is something I tried to study, but I got my hands bloody, yeah. . . . I met Farrakhan and had dinner”

“When Will They Shoot”; Ice Cube, The Predator, 1992, Priority Records, Thorn EMI; now called The EMI Group, United Kingdom

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I think it was Tupac who said, "A nigger is a black man with a slave chain around his neck. A nigga is a black man with a gold chain around his neck."

The only people who I hear use it are black. Even if it were socially acceptable, though, I wouldn't say it. It's a matter of respect. I don't disrespect anybody unless they do something to deserve it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#37]
When I was young and stupid I used the word and meant it as it was originally meant to be used.  As a teenager my Dad was post commander at a army post up in Alaska.  I remember using the word in front of my dad and another officer visiting at our home.  I will never forget the look on my Dad's face that day and the words he and I had after the other officer had left.  

That one incident truly opened my eyes to what kind of person I had become and from that day forward I resolved I would NEVER use racial slurs of any kind.  I will not even use them against our present enemies residing in the Middle East.

I will never forget another incident.  A few years ago I had a few friends over to my place to play some online Quake.  I was one of the first people in my area to get any kind of broadband connection and my DSL provided a great way to get a bunch of LPBs (remember that term?) together to kick some serious ass.  One of those friends of mine was a black guy who is currently working in the Middle East probably making some serious money.  

As we were playing several guys from some clan joined in with names like "Jew in the oven" and "Nigger in chains".  They had "hot keyed" in several racial slurs which they would constantly enter.  I will never forget the look I saw as I glanced over at my friend.  I could only imagine his anger at seeing such crap.

Maybe many blacks use such slurs without meaning.  Maybe many whites will use those same words as terms of endearment among themselves.  As for me and anyone who values their teeth around me those words will not be spoken.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#38]
The black's oh I mean the African American uses the "N" word a hell of alot more than white's do, I have been called craker and red neck and KKK and all of those damn stupid ass names they call white folk's and you know nothing gets said about it but if I even think about saying the "N" word I have to stop because the sorry ass EO rep in the company and the Battalion or Brigade would have a fucking field day,and that's all I have to say on this subject before my blood start's to boil.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I went to a High School where over 50% of the student body was Black, I had a lot of Black friends. I went to a Historically Black College, Virginia State University. I have used the N-word before, though not to describe all Black people.

I have also used it in context to describe slaves in fron of a bunch of black guys, at my High School Senior Class trip I told a bunch of the guys that "If we don't go to college we will be workin like a bunch of N-ggers for the rest of our lives, if we ever want to make something of ourselfs and get out of Hopewell we have to do it." no one was pissed they new what the expression ment.

I think there is some hypersensativity to the N-word. The fact being I can't say it on here without getting a smack from the mods. N-gger describes a lot of lazy half assed people, and can be used as a refrence to slaves of old without malice. As a white southerner it's part of my heritage as much as it is for Blacks. It comes from it's constant usage by racists, thats why it is verboten. and it is used a s a badge of currage by Blacks.

I say Them
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a very good friend that happens to be black and one day I asked him why do black folks call each other that when it is supposed to be such an awful word? He said that when the white man was calling them that back in the slave days , they thought it was funny so they would call each other that to diffuse the intent of an insult. He said that is why they still call each other it to this day. Sounded like a good explanation to me. I did'nt have time to ask him why black folks get mad when a non-black person calls them that. But I would venture a guess that by whites it is usually used AS an insult where the black folks are doing it out of spite towards the white man. Hope this helps. take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Well I can't recall ever using the N word
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I have a very good friend that happens to be black and one day I asked him why do black folks call each other that when it is supposed to be such an awful word? He said that when the white man was calling them that back in the slave days , they thought it was funny so they would call each other that to diffuse the intent of an insult. He said that is why they still call each other it to this day. Sounded like a good explanation to me. I did'nt have time to ask him why black folks get mad when a non-black person calls them that. But I would venture a guess that by whites it is usually used AS an insult where the black folks are doing it out of spite towards the white man. Hope this helps. take care. Coondog

LOL, they don’t call each other that because they think its funny. They do it because they are more racially conscience of who and what they are. When a black spews the N word to another black, it’s like saying were are brothers. Its us and them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're one of my favs here, Cav, but I disagree with you on this one. What? Can't anyone bring up any issue about race anymore without being chastised for "racial" crimes?

C'mon, dude. Lighten up.

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Definitely them (them being black people in this case). I hear lots of them use it conversationally, just like we would say hey man, buddy, or something like that. I don't hear white people use it very much. If they do, it's when no black people are in earshot, usually to refer to black people who follow all of the old stereotypes of what black people are.

As an interesting parallel, how about the term "gun nut"? It was coined at a term of mocking hatred by anti-gunners, but we now call each other gun nuts regularly. What does that mean? What would it mean to you if your favorite shooting buddy called you a gun nut, versus what it would mean if an anti-gunner you were arguing with called you one?

And for the record, I don't like and refuse to use the term "African-American", or any other -American. I think TR summarizes it nicely: "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities."
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Me. I say it all the time.

Thats all i here from the African Americans around here, if they can say it i can too!!!,My black friends call themselves black not the other word, not Afican American,  not colored, it's either blacks or whites.And i have alot of black friends, no racism here too a a certain extect anyway.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Nigger is the only racial slur that I know of that is referred to by it's first letter. To many people, it is considered to be the most offensive racial slur. That is bullshit in my opinion. It isn't any more offensvie than spic, kike, gook, wop, kraut, etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#48]
It may be a toss up who uses it more. Lots of whites use it but are discreet. The nigeros are way more vocal about it.

....and they aint African Americans unless they have dual citizenship.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#49]
"Bout to go and damn near went blind
young niggas on the path throwin up gangs signs
I went in the house to get the clip
with my Mac-10 on the side of my hip..."

You know the words, sing along!

I don't say it around black people out of respect to them and fear of an ass beating, but I will use the term to describe gangbanger homeboys types, just like I will use the term Whiskey Tango, hillbilly, redneck, wigger, etc to describe the STUPID fvcking white people I deal with all the time.  

Around here there are more ignorant whites than blacks, but if I were in Chicago I would be singing a different tune.  Like "Get me the fuck out of gangland".
I have heard the word used by black people MUCH more often than whites, and there are a LOT of racists around here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#50]
LOL!!! "them" by a landslide.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top