Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2018 11:38:57 PM EDT
Got a good bonus at work, thinking about ordering one. Wondering how the receivers are holding up to use(new M1 type receivers always seem to be iffy).  If you've used it, and shot more than a couple hundred rounds, you're the person I want to talk to.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I think bamashooter has some of the JRA stuff... iirc he liked them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I do.

So far it's been a fairly unreliable gun.  About 1 in 4 are light primer strikes on Malaysian surplus ammo.

Going to try it on some hand loads with federal 210 primers.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have noticed if the mag when fully inserted rocks forward(mag towards muzzle tilts down) it will have a failure to feed with standard FMJ. The stock has a crack near the reciever that is a bit worriesome, but I don't think it will affect function. It comes with a new mag and a mixture of Beretta parts.

The compensator makes the 308 recoil very tame, so its very enjoyable to shoot in comparison to an M1. The bipod is very tall. It does rotate so its actually useful. The site thing that goes up looks cool. Its a nice rifle, but its exclusively a range toy. Its weight is not that far off a M1 and its balance is similar. Sights are excellent.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks-trying real hard to talk myself into or out of it, just wanted some real opinions after use.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#5]
My BM59 only likes certain 7.62.  It rips the rims off most brands.

Works fine with GGG, Malaysian, PMC (Korean surplus).
Rips the rims off of PPU, ZQI, Hirtenberger, MEN

On the second range trip the Op-rod broke.  I sent it back to JRA with sample cases, they replaced the Op-rod.
No word on torn rims.  The Manual says it has a violent extraction.  Always take a steel cleaning rod
to the range to knock out stuck cases.

You may need to file the back left side of the magazine to clear the clip latch on any new magazines you get.

On the plus side, you can bump fire with the winter trigger while its on the bi-pod.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]
bump
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I built mine from a kit on a JRA receiver.  Works fine with ZQI and Port surplus I have run through it.

Someone above said they had some cases are ripping rims, which sounds like theirs could be little over gassed - they may want to remove the launcher tricompensator - and affix a non-comp from standard parts - might lower the pressure a little bit on that ammo it happens on.

I haven't shot it in a while - I need to get out and run it some more!
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't a cast, reverse engineered receiver defeat half the purpose of a BM59?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't a cast, reverse engineered receiver defeat half the purpose of a BM59?
View Quote
Sort of, but it also allows having a BM59 without permanent modifications to an M1 receiver which, after 60+ years, there are only so much of.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got a good bonus at work, thinking about ordering one. Wondering how the receivers are holding up to use(new M1 type receivers always seem to be iffy).  If you've used it, and shot more than a couple hundred rounds, you're the person I want to talk to.
View Quote
You are wise to want to own a BM59, the ultimate refinement of the finest .30 Caliber rifle ever produced. Here is one of mine, built from an original Italian parts kit by Tim Shufflin, the master Garand gunsmith who owns Shuffs Parkerizing:

Tim builds these using only original M1 forged receivers, milling them to original Beretta specs and avoiding a second heat treating, which can make the receivers brittle. Mine have been absolutely superb perfomers, smooth and accurate, and a delight to shoot.

To your original request: I don't own a James River BM59 , because I thought the operating system of the M1 would not play well with a cast receiver. Others have had good luck with them. Plus, Tim has done M1 work me in the past, and I know he'll build a flawless rifle every time; he's an old school, one-at-a-time craftsman.

Good luck!

Tony
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#12]
There is nothing iffy about M1 receivers. They are bombproof.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful rifles...
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is nothing iffy about M1 receivers. They are bombproof.
View Quote
Originals yes. But the BM59's are built on modern cast reproductions. I don't want to spend $1000+ on something that might turn out to be a new version of a CAI Garand. Since the reviews on Classic's site are based on the first range trip I was asking here, where those who have them have used them a little more than that.

I just wish the E models were easier to find, they're the ones I like.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a BM-59 kit, but no receiver.

Anyone know where I can get a Garand receiver?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a BM-59 kit, but no receiver.

Anyone know where I can get a Garand receiver?
View Quote
I got mine from the CMP sale board:

CMP Parts for sale or trade M1 garand

I got a Beretta receiver from a Danish M1 Garand. I have yet to send the rifle to Shufflin's to get built.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one and I have an original Beretta as well.  The James river seams to be a good deal for the money, but I've only put a couple mags thru it.  The fit/finish of the Beretta is nicer, The James river receiver is a casting, and you can tell in spots.  I wanted to put the James on a Alpine stock that northridge has, but the trigger guard is wrong, Need to find a stamped trigger guard instead of the milled one the JR came with to get it to fit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Their M14 pattern Guns seem to be good to go these days, but from what I’ve read it’s better to have Shuffs build you a BM59 from a USGI Garand receiver.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I am interested.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:08:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine is a Santa Fe model.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Makes me wish I had kept my Springfield BM59
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got one - mine's built off a Springfield Armory receiver.  Haven't had problems with it with regards to ammo; it'll eat anything from cheap steel case through match brass. The only ammo problem I've had has been with those blue German practice rounds - the gun is hit or miss with extraction.  Aside from that, it's low recoil for a .308 and boringly accurate. At this juncture it mainly sits in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Ripping the rims off is signs of over gassing which means the gas port in the new commercial barrel is oversized.

Light primer hits are indicative of a short/ work firing pin.  Replace it and try again.

I have 3 BMs none JRA however.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one I purchased late last year.   I have Garands and M1a rifles which I love to shoot and always wanted a BM59 type rifle.
I have taken mine to the range a few times.   As some have said they(mine) does not like brassed case ammo.  Surplus stuff.
But It loves wolf steel cased.   Least mine does.
Would love to purchase another one.   Wood is solid but a bit to much taken off the top in the refinish process.  U can see under the heel of the receiver to the other side.
But lock up is very solid...
Looks like an all PB parts rifle with the JRA receiver.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've got one - mine's built off a Springfield Armory receiver.  Haven't had problems with it with regards to ammo; it'll eat anything from cheap steel case through match brass. The only ammo problem I've had has been with those blue German practice rounds - the gun is hit or miss with extraction.  Aside from that, it's low recoil for a .308 and boringly accurate. At this juncture it mainly sits in the safe.
View Quote
So does the German plastic training ammo function semi auto sometimes?

I have a few thousand rounds of that tucked away with a G3 "Training Bolt Carrier"

Maybe I should get some of that blue training ammo out and try it with the BM59.

While it is a cast receiver, it did go together very well - I believe JRA's reputation on other receivers and builds is fairly decent  I do like mine.
I got a PARA stock from standard parts and it cleaned up excellent - I believe they are lower price than Northridge
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top