Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2018 3:12:51 AM EDT
Years ago back home somebody broke into a neighbor's house and the cops there said to tell them what was taken and what wasn't and they'd know what kind of person did it. Hoping for similar wisdom here.

Somebody gained access inside a locked apartment building in downtown Philadelphia (a block from Rittenhouse Square for those who know the area).

- middle of the day on a weekday
- the whole incident lasted less than an hour
- they used a crowbar to get into the unit
- all drawers, cabinets, bins, and containers were opened
- nothing was broken, nothing was thrown across the house, contents of drawers not dumped on the floor, the job looked respectful almost, some items appear to have been moved and then replaced.
- they took some jewelry and a few old point and shoot cameras
- they skipped over folding knives, computers, tablets, gaming systems, guitars, bikes, and a large tv
- they took one $15 butterfly knife, but ignored several $100ish knives

- they got into another unit and did the exact same thing - ignored tons of electronics but got some jewelry

What kind of people would do it like this?

(posting for my brother since he's not a forum person, and I might be more curious than he is)
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:21:16 AM EDT
[#1]
A jewelry thief.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone who was on foot with a book bag.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a thief to me. Lucky for you they had poor tastes in cutlery.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A youngster looking for prescription medicines? Were the bathroom cabinets rifled through? Anything missing from there?
View Quote
Sounds like a kid to me.  A seasoned thief would have gone for the more expensive items you mentioned. Kids think butterfly knives are cool (they are).
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#6]
They were looking for something specific. Old cameras that may have undeveloped film or memories and family heirlooms.

The cameras would probably be hard to sell in a pawn shop cause very few people use them anymore, so I don’t see them being stolen for resale. Other items passed over that were more valuable. The jewelry was taken because it had sentimental value.

My GUESS, and that’s all it is,is that it was a pair of family members from each location helping each other to take family items that they felt should be theirs, but were denied at some point.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Most of the stuff you said they skipped is bulky.

I'd guess someone who didn't want to carry anything that wouldn't fit in pockets or maybe a bag.

Maybe a female, since they skipped most of the knives but took the jewelry.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A youngster looking for prescription medicines? Were the bathroom cabinets rifled through? Anything missing from there?
View Quote
my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Years ago back home somebody broke into a neighbor's house and the cops there said to tell them what was taken and what wasn't and they'd know what kind of person did it. Hoping for similar wisdom here.

Somebody gained access inside a locked apartment building in downtown Philadelphia (a block from Rittenhouse Square for those who know the area).

- middle of the day on a weekday
- the whole incident lasted less than an hour
- they used a crowbar to get into the unit
- all drawers, cabinets, bins, and containers were opened
- nothing was broken, nothing was thrown across the house, contents of drawers not dumped on the floor, the job looked respectful almost, some items appear to have been moved and then replaced.
- they took some jewelry and a few old point and shoot cameras
- they skipped over folding knives, computers, tablets, gaming systems, guitars, bikes, and a large tv
- they took one $15 butterfly knife, but ignored several $100ish knives

- they got into another unit and did the exact same thing - ignored tons of electronics but got some jewelry

What kind of people would do it like this?

(posting for my brother since he's not a forum person, and I might be more curious than he is)
View Quote
Hard to say for sure but here are some thoughts.

More than 50% of burglaries are committed by someone the victim knows in some way. Not necessarily a friend but it's often someone who is familiar with the inside of the home and knows what's in there. Some burglars will steal guns because they have street value and some won't touch guns because they don't want to be caught with guns.

Is the apartment a restricted access building? If so, I'd say it's likely the suspect either lives in the building or knows someone who lives in the building.

Burglars are nervous and scared so they often do stupid shit. I've worked cases were burglars dropped their wallets, cell phones, drug paraphernalia and other identifiable items at the scene of the crime. They sometimes steal random crap and pass over good stuff. The more well thought out the burglary, the more likely it's someone the victim knows. Suspect in the planned cases has had time to plan it out vs making it up as he/she goes.

Most burglaries are very short duration. A few minutes at most. If the burglars were in there for awhile, that also implies the suspect knew the victim and the victim's routine and knew he/she had time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Butthole Surfers - Who Was in My Room Last Night? (Music Video)
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Left handed.  Lesbian, about 5'2, 185 pounds.  Red trucker hat, black pea coat.  Possibly Dominican, but definitely from the island of Hispaniola.

Most importantly, walks with a limp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top