Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Or better yet a hemmeroid thats hanging around the whitehouse
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
We've got real problems that can be fixed right now.  Let's put the problems we don't have and can't do anything about on the back burner, mkay?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out who we're dealing with first of all...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=John+Holdren
This is what happens when you make retards the czars of shit.

Predictable, to anyone but an oblama-czar.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Being threatened by a dinosaur killer is a low probability event on any particular day, or in any particular millenium, but we know three things:  1) it will happen eventually  2) it will really, really suck when it does  3) it is avoidable with current technology and enough warning.  It's not something that deserves a moon base and a fleet of asteroid-busting spaceships on standby, but a little money to track possible threats and a plan for dealing with them is reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#5]
It's an interesting question.  How does one do a cost/benefit analysis where the probability is low, cost is high, and the benefit is infinite?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Has anybody called Bruce Willis?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Being threatened by a dinosaur killer is a low probability event on any particular day, or in any particular millenium, but we know three things:  1) it will happen eventually  2) it will really, really suck when it does  3) it is avoidable with current technology and enough warning.  It's not something that deserves a moon base and a fleet of asteroid-busting spaceships on standby, but a little money to track possible threats and a plan for dealing with them is reasonable.

This.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Has anybody called Bruce Willis Liv Tyler?

For, you know, comforting.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Exactly. With NASA's Muslim outreach program, we can just ask them to pray the next asteroid on a collision course away.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

"That" would be fine but "a little money" won't be, and it's just going to be a big democrat slush fund.

Don't allow them to turn space into Fannie/Freddie.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey, why not? Seems more plausible than Global Warming and the world is spending trillions on that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Has anybody called Bruce Willis?

No, they got Robert Duvall instead.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#14]
This reminds me of one of the cooler things to happen in my lifetime, the Schumacher-Levy 9 impacts on Jupiter in 1994:

The fireballs from the impacts were larger than the planet Earth.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Exactly. With NASA's Muslim outreach program, we can just ask them to pray the next asteroid on a collision course away.

A better solution would be strap rockets to their asses and tell them that asteroids are infidels and they are needed for cosmic jihad against evil western asteroids.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#16]
We need a virtual fence to protect us from  the illegal "asteroids "
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Honestly though, it is a REAL threat. Could be 100,000 years, or could be tomorrow.

And by most space mission standards, just funding some more wide field  photographic sky-surveys, and maybe some radar scans to get a good count of the objects and their orbits would be pretty cheap. The telescopes that can do this kind of work are pipsqueaks and reasonably cheap as compared to the big monster scopes.

Then after we've got a good grasp of the true odds, and which rocks are dangerous, we can decide how much budget, if any is needed for a diversion mission.

And even if you concede that this is a 100% waste of the money, giving it to scientists and engineers to fritter away is always better than pouring it down the gullets of welfare queens and their spawn, or in Wall Street bail outs.

One way of looking at .gov money is like toxic waste. You can dump it somewhere it will spread and create even bigger problems, or you can dispose of it in a safe manner.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Just keeping up the illusion that government can or should protect everyone from everything.

Risk of illiteracy/innumeracy––yep there's a (failing) government solution to that.

Risk of poverty in old age––yep there's a (failing) government solution to that.

Risk of healthcare in old age––yep there's a (failing) government solution to that.

Risk of mortgage procurement––yep there's a (failing) government solution to that.

Risk of unemployment––yep there's a (overly generous) government solution to that (which prolongs economic downturns).

Risk of car accident––yep there's a (large bureaucratic) government solution to that (which makes cars absudly expensive).

etc.....

and now:

Risk of asteroid––a soon-to-be bureaucracy for that...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

We need a virtual fence to protect us from  the illegal "asteroids "

They aren't illegal, they're undocumented migrant asteroids!

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd call these guys.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Ya know in the big scheme of things, this one scenario is something we are totally unprepared for, which IIRC, offed all the large mamals not so long (geologically speaking) ago.

If there is ONE reason for space work, this is THE reason IMO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Its a valid concern.

Too bad Welfare Queens have a better chance of being funded than an asteroid defense project.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's an interesting question.  How does one do a cost/benefit analysis where the probability is low, cost is high, and the benefit is infinite?

I couldn't work it out, so just to be safe, I carry a gun
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't work it out, so just to be safe, I carry a gun

Next week on Mythbusters: Can a killer asteroid be stopped by 100 million people emptying their handguns into it at the last moment?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not going to worry or freak out about something that is beyond my control and the control of fellow humans. What does worry me is this;

After an asteroid-to-Earth trajectory is determined to impact an area of the U.S., FEMA would notify the population through the National Warning System and it would begin emergency response activities.

So in an "Emergency" (Automatic death for all in my opinion) FEMA will have power to do what ever it pleases. Even though we could never deflect an asteroid with our current technology, FEMA will make sure it has us under control for our final moments. Fuck me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Must be a bad dream. What is the name of that movie where life just repeat itself?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Exactly how do you prepare for this?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#29]
ALIENS ARE HERE!!!!

ASTROIDS ARE COMING!!!

*Quick, pass that amnesty bill
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#30]
An asteroid impact would do wonders for population control.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm not going to worry or freak out about something that is beyond my control and the control of fellow humans. What does worry me is this;

After an asteroid-to-Earth trajectory is determined to impact an area of the U.S., FEMA would notify the population through the National Warning System and it would begin emergency response activities.

So in an "Emergency" (Automatic death for all in my opinion) FEMA will have power to do what ever it pleases. Even though we could never deflect an asteroid with our current technology, FEMA will make sure it has us under control for our final moments. Fuck me.

You wouldn't want to die during a period of mass hysteria prior to the EE would you? It has been demonstrated, repeatedly, that minorities suffer the most during extinction events. Its the business of government to make sure that we all suffer equally.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#32]
"Look , over there ! "  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll79/apocalypto10/F1_medium.gif

In New England people buy beer, cigarettes, milk and bread.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll79/apocalypto10/F1_medium.gif

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Can someone with photoshop skills insert Hawk Hawkins (Tommy Lee Jones - Space Cowboys) on the nuke satellite?
photoshop Zero in the command pilot position  
Zero coming to save the day!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#38]
the next big one could hit tomorrow, next week, next month, or 10 million years from now. We don't know. But it would be one of the most idiotic things I can imagine, is us having the technology to prevent it, and not taking the potential problem seriously enough and mankind is wiped out because of it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

the next big one could hit tomorrow, next week, next month, or 10 million years from now. We don't know. But it would be one of the most idiotic things I can imagine, is us having the technology to prevent it, and not taking the potential problem seriously enough and mankind is wiped out because of it.

My thoughts exactly.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
"Look , over there ! "  

Think you are onto something there. People may be forgetting who this Holdren fellow is.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top