Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2002 4:58:11 PM EDT
Reply comment if you want.....For me i really love to watch movies about the Vietnam War.  I find that war very interesting.  The 60's were a very historic and tragic times in my opinion.  Cuban Missle Crisis, Kennedy assasinated, Martin Luther King assasinated and the Vietnam War.

[usa]     [usa]     [usa]

POLL ADDED
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I like WWII movies.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Both WW2 and Korea. Very good stuff...[USA][marines]

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I voted Vietnam...however I like to watch them all.

Even American Civil War and Napoleonics..

The Sharpe series and Hornblower are both great.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
WWII for me...

civil and mexican wars are good too!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
WWI
The long suffering and then Black Jack Pershing rides in just like the calvary and wins the war.

I think it was the most horrible war ever fought for the grunt.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely WW2 just because my dad served in it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I was born in 48 and we all played out our dads and uncles in WWII. At that time my dad (career Marine and WWII Vet) had just returned from Korea, a Frozen Chosin. That war plays to close for me as does Nam. I'll take old WWII everytime.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#10]
i got into WWII any thyng as a kid, during the war i collected scrap metal, batteries, grease from kitchens, (bacon drippings, etc.) tires, & dug dead pine tree stumps, (they were used in making gun powder, i was told, ?) after the war i read books about the Flying Tigers, submarine stories & several books wryten by Bataan Death March survivors (my older 2nd cousin, Dads cousin, was not a survivor) my Uncle "Bud" was a HERO survivor of Iwo Jima, NO !! he did not help raise the flag, he was just one of the first in & last off the island......

i was a teen ager in the era of Elvis, he was 1 1/2 years older than i, i had a 57 "Chebby" 270 HP V8, the hottest "chickmobile" on Jacksonville Beach in the spring break of 1958ad,

i rejoined the USNavy during the Cuban Missle crisis after being out almost a year, was stationed in Calif. during the early sixties, seventies..., & was a part of that crazy "Beach Boys Brigade" that hit the beach parties every weekend, if we (other sailors) we not invited to a beach party we just invited our selves...

was in Atsugi Japan when JFK went down, we went on red alert, had orders changed by a high ranking admiral & it was 4 months before i saw my ship again !!

Viet Nam.............??
is second choice, i was an active participant from 1962ad-1972ad, somtymes at sea on a carrier, somtymes at a base where a broken F4J Phantom was needing my mechanical expertise...
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Post from thebeekeeper1 -
As an aside, I will never forgive Nixon for granting amnesty to those cowards who fled to Canada.
View Quote

No need to. Carter did the 'honors' just a day after his inaguration.

He followed through on a contentious campaign promise, granting a presidential pardon to those who had avoided the draft during the Vietnam war by either not registering or by traveling abroad.

The pardon meant the government was giving up forever the right to prosecute what the administration said were hundreds of thousands of draft-dodgers.

Eric The(Rats!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Vietnam makes for a better movie, especially since there is less known about the war and it makes for a more chaotic "vision of hell" than any of the older WWII films.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for correcting my bad. I do not wish to be the disseminator of bad info.
View Quote

We owe it to Nixon, he got enough bad raps already!

BTW, thebeekeeper1, there's something I always wanted to ask you - did you ever read 'The Prairie', one of James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales?

The reason I'm asking is that there's a real beekeeper who's a main character in the story?

Eric The(Literate)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:....
Whew!  That's a relief.  I like Nixon otherwise.  This would just be one more thing to hold against Mr. Cahtah, [b]THE[/b] ultimate authority on foreign policy issues.  [rolleyes].....
View Quote

Except for the part about Nixon being so big on establishing foreign relations with China.  Thanks, you dick!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As an aside, I will never forgive Nixon for granting amnesty to those cowards who fled to Canada.
View Quote

No need to. Carter did the 'honors' just a day after his inaguration.

He followed through on a contentious campaign promise, granting a presidential pardon to those who had avoided the draft during the Vietnam war by either not registering or by traveling abroad.

The pardon meant the government was giving up forever the right to prosecute what the administration said were hundreds of thousands of draft-dodgers.

Eric The(Rats!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

On the other hand, it gave a bit of legitimacy for any future refuseniks who don't feel like being part of the "U.S. as cops of the world" (Bosnia, Serbia, etc.) forces, or being under UN  command.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#19]
The War of Northern Agression.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:40:59 AM EDT
[#20]
No, I have not. Is it a good read? I am a voracious reader and never seem to have enough material.
View Quote

It's an excellent read, as are all of Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales.

Paul, the 'beekeeper' in The Prairie, gives some very lengthy speeches on bees, hives, etc.

And Cooper, as always, gives some very good views on the very earliest American thinking on what it means to be American.

There's a speech that 'the Trapper' (Natty Bumpo) gives about personal liberty that should be read by one and all!

This novel was written in 1827, the year after Cooper had written 'The Last of the Mohicans.'

Eric The(ReadItAndUnderstandTheUS)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Where is the Civil War, ya know The war of the rebellion by the traitorious slave holders?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top