Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/1/2006 5:11:18 PM EDT
Siberian Husky...Nebraska climate, which is 30deg. or a bit lower in the winter, and can get 90+ in the summer...

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:15:40 PM EDT
Takin my neighbors unwanted dog.. Need to buy one quick...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:16:54 PM EDT
He should do fine even without one. But the igloos seem to work well for my GFs beagles. Its the matter of getting them inside is the problem. Sometimes they dont want too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:17:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 5:17:59 PM EDT by MagKnightX]
I dunno. We usually keep our dog indoors while letting her out a few times each in the morning, afternoon, and night for walks and bathroom.

Edit: But she can usually stay out as long as she likes, it's not like we keep her smothered inside.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:18:48 PM EDT
my dogs sleep in a regular plywood and shingle dog house. It ahs dropped into the mid 20's here at night.

I stapled a piece of thick carpet inside the dog house cause they just dragged the blanket out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:18:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 5:19:09 PM EDT by CSM]
Igloo for simplicity, with a doggie bed, or LOTS of fresh straw.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:20:04 PM EDT
logic would say that wood would insulate better, but why not just let them inside if it gets that nasty out?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:41:25 PM EDT
I've had both, and the wood ones have gotten chewed up. the igloos seem to do fine, and the are more durable. I have Labs, and they will chew on anything including their house.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:45:18 PM EDT
Our beagle likes his Igloo pretty well. He has not eaten it yet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:48:32 PM EDT
DogLoo's with the door option work well and stay warm. Add some old blankets and you have a nice outdoor home for reasonable weather. But. They float when it rains a lot. Even with the pooch inside.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:51:11 PM EDT
how do you get em to go inside when they dont want to. My BIL's dog would rather stay in the cold wet rain than go inside the dog house
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:56:21 PM EDT
This helps alot guys.... This is a rescue deal, I may or may not keep the dog... But whatever I do is certailly better than chained to a 10 foot chain with no food and a bowl of ice to lick instead of water.. Neighbor is moving... They arent taking the dog.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:03:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gmtmaster:
This helps alot guys.... This is a rescue deal, I may or may not keep the dog... But whatever I do is certailly better than chained to a 10 foot chain with no food and a bowl of ice to lick instead of water.. Neighbor is moving... They arent taking the dog.

bastards

Good karma points for you
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:09:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspain:
how do you get em to go inside when they dont want to. My BIL's dog would rather stay in the cold wet rain than go inside the dog house

Well, you can try putting one of the dogs used blankets in the DogLoo. The smell will sometimes give them the idea the dog house is safe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:51:09 PM EDT
We have a Dogloo for our 100# Rot/G.Retr and it has stood up pretty well to 14 years of his abuse. The best part is that when it gets all funky smelling, you just snap the two halves apart and hose it down. Of course, in So. Cal. it never gets below the high 40s in the dead of winter so keeping him warm isn't a problem. Besides my wife is a big softy and lets him in the house at night because he's so old.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:00:04 PM EDT
This is the best house for a dog, at least mine thinks so....

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:01:43 PM EDT
Plastic is the way to go, its got air for insulation, doesnt rot, no termites, and lasts as long as your dog doesnt eat it. I gave my dog all the old grey sweat Army PTs for insulation, makes for a happy dog.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:12:28 PM EDT
This kind.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:18:05 PM EDT
Go plastic, ot does not need construction paint and waterproofing and the dog may not even go in it after you spent time to build it. Just make sure you have shade for the dog and elevate his house slightly to keep water out. With a husky consider getting his/her hair/topcoat cut May-Sep.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:32:54 PM EDT
My rents used to breed Huskies,and they had just the run of the mill houses for them with beds.Alot of the time thoug,they wouldn`t even sleep in the houses.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:00:14 AM EDT
Wooden with straw & cedar shaving for bedding.

Be advised, a Siberian Husky will likely be very content just laying out in the elements. The nastier the weather the better. It's in the breed.

We had one several years ago. We had a particularly cold February, -20 day time temps. She didn't want to stay in the house....too warm. She'd happily sit, with hot breath steaming out her snout, and just watch the world go by in the front yard.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:37:49 AM EDT
I used to have a huskey till we had to put him down for eating the neighbors pets. to tell you the truth, I would figure out a way to keem him happy in the summer rather than the winter. I could go outside to work on the house when it was like -20 and the bastard would just sprawl out like it was the GD summertime.

however, in the summer he one could tell he was just miserable if he couldn't find shade. I have found they love a nice cool concrete pad in t he shade.

also on a side note, they love being outside, so don't worry bout him wanting to come in all the time.

and lately, although they like you, they don't give a crap about what you tell them to do. Very independant.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:45:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:23:17 AM EDT
The one I'm not in...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:39:37 AM EDT
wood,
insulated all five sides and a carpeted floor
Top Top