Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2002 6:15:01 AM EDT
A.  Triple canopy jungle in the summer vietnam

b.  Gardez mountian complex in frozen winter in bad weather.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, the 101st has done them both and a few others to boot.  I would say any terrain that the 101st is trying to kill me on is probably the most difficult to fight in.

Oh..you mean as a general rule..not from the point of view of Al-Qieda.."C. Anywhere you get shot at with real bullets." would be my answer.

Seriously, they are different enviroments with different requirements.  Impossible to compare, other than to say it would be difficult in either for different reasons.  That's why your military trains all over the world in different enviroments.  So it can go anywhere and kick ass.  Uncle Sam can pee along way.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Anywhere they can see you easier than you can see them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Those Korean winters looked pretty vicious and the mountainous terrain didn't make it look any better.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Your enemy's back yard
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those Korean winters looked pretty vicious and the mountainous terrain didn't make it look any better.
View Quote

I was in Korea for three years as a civillian and being a Florida native, I can tell you how that wind cut right through me to the bone.  I got the Asian Flu and I swear I almost died.  

Lucky for me I had just met my wife at the time and she nursed my sick ass back to health with good soup.

Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#7]
URBAN HOUSE TO HOUSE IN A POPULATED ENVIRONMENT.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know, but for all the cold and snow, I think the 101st should hang this battle ribbon right next to the one from Bastone from the Battle of the Bulge.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know, but for all the cold and snow, I think the 101st should hang this battle ribbon right next to the one from Bastone from the Battle of the Bulge.
View Quote

Well...let's keep a little perspective here.  Our guys are doing outstanding work but they're not fighting Tigers in the snow.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#10]
History has some good examples
1. Valley Forge-Winter
2. Napoleons retreat from Russia in defeat-Winter
3. Korea Chosin Resevoir-Winter
many others but severe winter is the hardest on people and equipment
In Vietnam, at least where I was, there was no summer.. there was wet and then there was extremely wet followed by more wet...and as bad as it may have seemed imo the guys who were in the winter in Korea had it the worst
and they took then they dished it out..then they came home and were promptly ignored..imo the korean vets are our finest...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top