Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/20/2009 7:49:41 AM EST
For a 10.5" 9mm. I have never used a rail system before. I had a KAC system once but I traded it off without ever mounting it.

I hear a lot of good things about the Daniel Defense Omega rails - well warranted or is it just OK?
I also hear Midwest Industries tossed around a lot but I don't know anything about them.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:58:23 AM EST
I have the regular MI 2-piece rails on my AR and I like them well enough, but if I had to buy another set I'd go with LaRue simply because I can afford to now
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:59:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 8:01:10 AM EST by bdhsnake]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:01:19 AM EST
DD Omega 7 for the win, but if you have the gunsmithing tools - LaRue without hesitation.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:01:31 AM EST
What do you plan to mount?

Rails generally have a significant weight penalty. If you just want to mount a sling and BUIS or something weight would be my primary concern.

DD rails are some of the lightest for 4-rail setups, have not run one, but have handled a few carbines with DD rails installed.

No comment on MI, I have no experience.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:02:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By GabRanch:

Rails generally have a significant weight penalty. If you just want to mount a sling and BUIS or something weight would be my primary concern.

DD rails are some of the lightest for 4-rail setups, have not run one, but have handled a few carbines with DD rails installed.

Probably just a VFG, BUIS (front and rear) and a sling.

I'm not a gear queer, haha. I just want the options. The 9mm SBR will basically be a range toy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:06:49 AM EST
I have a Daniel Defense Omega 7 on my 6920 and its teh awesome. Rock solid and totally in spec, unlike the Surefire unit I used to have on there.

Omega FTW
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:07:28 AM EST
i have the YHM (yankee hill) freefloat rails, with no issues so far...easy to install and easy to install ...JMHO
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:09:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 8:11:23 AM EST by seuss95b]
9" TRX from Troy. Continuous top rail!!! Cheap in cost!! and it is strong!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:09:27 AM EST
I'm very happy with my YHM rails. They're cheap, but do the job well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:15:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By andrasik:

I'm not a gear queer, haha. I just want the options. The 9mm SBR will basically be a range toy.

If it were me I would probably look at the Vltor CASV, again weight being my primary concern. There is a chart floating around the tech forums that has a lot of good info on the various rails on the market.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:15:52 AM EST
Have you considered the TROY drop in rail ?

I have two and they are a great value.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:16:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By andrasik:

If it were me I would probably look at the Vltor CASV, again weight being my primary concern. There is a chart floating around the tech forums that has a lot of good info on the various rails on the market.

I'll look into that, thanks.

I browsed tech forums but I didn't have much luck. My search fu is weak today.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:18:39 AM EST
I use Daniel Defense Omegas. No gunsmithing, VERY light, excellent finish, look cool (not bulky or goofy looking like the Airsoft crap) and solid as a rock. Of course the LaRues are probably damn-fine rails too (I use their mounts and other stuff...top quality) , but I just wanted a simple, "pop-in" rail without messing with the D-ring.

Although the DD isn't a "real" free-float, the attachment method makes it SOLID. I have a couple VFG's on them and tried to twist them, and they (the rails) didn't move. Very well-made.

I haven't tried the others, so I can't speak for them, other than the UTG and other Fun Show stuff. They "work" but are big, heavy, ugly and move all over the place.

I'd go DD or LaRue.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:19:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By bdhsnake:
your choice

Seconded! I love my Larue rail.
Top Top