Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2001 5:47:14 AM EDT
Between a HK USP Compact, Glock (compact) or a Springfield V10, which way would you go?

If the HK performs as my 9mm USPc does, that's the way I'd go.

BTW, I'm thinking of this new firearm as my new concealed carry weapon, so size too IS a factor...(I'm not that tall, so nothing to big for me; wouldn't be comfortable in the pants...).

Thanks!

Max
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#1]
1) Not that tall, How heavy are you?
2) is PR Puerto Rico?

I live in Florida where it is also very hot and humid. I'm 6'1" 190lbs and in good shape. I cannot conceal the 45 Commander under a shirt without a jacket which we almost never wear. If you are avg-to-skinny the 1911 is indeed your best bet b-coz it lays flatter but you still may not be happy with the concealment of a fullsize gun. Look at something like a Wilson Combat Stealth package if you must have the 45 for daily carry.

In shorts weather I am carrying a Colt Pony Pocketlite which is a DAO .380 in my back pocket in a wallet holster. It's VERY concealable. Check out http://www.colt380.com for some of their PCP Meltdown packages. They make a 9mm Pony also.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey Styles!

Thanks for your quick response!

5'7", 156lbs.  I have a Colt Combat Commander; too big.

As for the USP, cool size in the waist.

and yes, PR=Puerto Rico, the 51st State of the Union, I hope, in the near future! ;)

THANKS!

Max
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#3]
HK USP .45 Compact.

Not for it's size.

Not for the reliability.

Not for the feel in your hand.

The only reason is it shoots so *#^n good.  

Don't know how HK got a short barrel pistol to shoot so accurately.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Glock 30 (doublestack, 10rds) or 36 (singlestack, flatter profile). Either way go with 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Max, I have an HK .45C. I am 6'2" 225 lbs. I generally wear the weapon in a shoulder holster - the weapon is invisble like this. (Yes, I wear this in the summer - 100 degrees - and winter - either way it is comfy to me). I do wear it IWB too. However, it is a big weapon and the shirt can NOT be tucked in FWIW.

Of the choices mentioned, the HK might be the toughest to conceal IWB. Glock might be your best bet. FWIW I also have a Glock 27 - 10 rounds of .40, small enough that I can tuck in my shirt or wear it on my ankle - no printing.

The HK - like Arock said: amazing shooter (truely as accurate as my USP .45F out to 25 yards); utterly reliable, great feel and balance. However, it is big.

That V10 is nice but it is like a brick (size wise). I am not a glock fan but I think you might have the best luck there. Take a look at the G27 too - it may change your mind.

Good luck.

ps - I am sure PR will be the 51st.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#7]
im in sorta the same boat as you.  lookin for a 45 for carry.  im currently lookin at a para ord p12 or p13.  also at some of the springfields and maybe a kimber pro carry.  im only 5'9'' 180 but i can conceal a fullsize beretta in an IWB in the small of my back pretty easily.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I am 5'8" 150. Of those pistols listed, the only one that I can use for concealment is the G30. Period.
10 rounds of 185+p's and I am very happy.

I have had mine for about 4 years now.
And am wearing it now IWB strong side just behind my hip. As always.

I have my ccw permit and can wear it to work or church even in the dead of summer.
I have never been spotted or questioned.
Particularly at work.

The grip is a little odd but I rapidly adapted to it. It really does help with control and recoil absorbtion.
And it doesn't stick out like a 1911 does.

The 30 is highly accurate, very dependable and shootable. No sharp edges.
Don't have to worry about it rusting because of you sweating in the heat.
Like any Blued gun will.

Plus it is only 24 ounces.
Weight means a lot when you carry it all day.

It is also +p rated.
I prefer the Golden Sabers, myself.

Get one with Tritium sights if you can.
You will appreciate them immediately.

Good luck, the choice is yours.

Del [:)]

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
USP.  If you're talking about the Glock 36, the USP will hold more rounds.  It'll be more reliable than a Glock, and it'll be a HELL of a lot prettier.
View Quote

I like the USP's too, in fact I'm going to buy one one of these days. But I don't know how you can say it's more reliable than my Glock 30. It has been through thousands of round without a hiccup. And I haven't ever shot a more accurate compact than the Glock 30.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got 2 USP .45 Compacts, both are just over the 5,000 round mark without [b]ANY[/b] malfunctions or broken parts.

I was a die-hard 1911 guy, but the USP offers me the option of the same cocked and locked carry as a 1911, but is much lighter and more corrosion resistant. On the downside, it is slightly thicker than most 1911s, but not enough to be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are familiar with the USP system, I'd go with the HK Compact.  I have a Glock 30 and have been very impressed.  However, I'm familiar with Glock.  Both are great guns.  I'm sticking with Glock because of familiarity.  Either should serve you well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#13]
anyone using the kimber ultraII?
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Colt Ltwt Commander
cpermd
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#15]
i own a usp and a glock 30. both are excellent and accurate. the glock is smaller. i shoot the glock best.
willy
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#16]
let me add something to this. in nv if you carry concealed, it is strongly recommended that the weapon NEVER prints through your clothes, or is spotted in any way by anybody. if the sherrifs dept. gets any complaints, they will yank your ccw. i have carried glocks for years, the 23 and the 27. the 27 can be hard to conceal on warm days. after beating around the bush all this time i finally bought into the best carry pistol for me. the kahr. in .40 caliber it has power, it is very accurate, it is slimmer than the glock 27 and is the easiest to conceal pistol i own. no jams, ever. kahr now makes one with a plastic frame that is only about 18 ounces. i want to buy one, heck, i will trade my usp for one! the drawbacks to the kahr, is that they only hold 6 rounds in the mag, and the price is a bit steep. however, if you are going to carry allways, the kahr is a pretty slick pistol. check them out.
regards, willy
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Springfield V10 Ultra Compact in Stainless.
I own one of these..it is heavy but it works beautifully.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:00:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Maximus996, bullet manufacturers are producing new rounds that make even smaller calibers effective. I gave up carrying a 45 and now carry a aluminum framed six shot Colt agent 2" 38 special.  I carry Remington Golden Sabers in it and feel if I need to defend myself I have enough power to get the job done. It is so light and easy to conceal that I carry it almost all the time. Depends on your situation.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:10:48 AM EDT
[#19]
HK for sure
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Glock 36, will be 100% filled with sand, mud or water.  Goes bang every, single time.  Combat tupperware at it's best.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:41:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the aforementioned HK Compact, two Springfield V-10s and several Glock Model 30’s so I’ll offer my opinion.

The HK is hands down gorgeous!  Fit, finish and function are superb.  Absolutely no complaints except I’m too skinny to wear it concealed unless underneath a heavy winter coat.

One Springfield V-10 was “doctored” by Teddy Jacobsen and now works, as it should have when it left the factory.  I still don’t have confidence in it due to the tight chamber and sometimes extraction problems.  It conceals the easiest and is the second prettiest.

Glock 30’s are UGLY!  However it is also totally reliable as are all my other Glocks.  Smooth with nothing to snag on the draw, low bore center and no unnecessary mass anywhere on the pistol making it [b]V-E-R-Y[/b] compact for 11 rounds of .45 was too tempting of a combination for me not to use.

HK’s are pure art, Springfields steeps of tradition that makes me feel good but Glocks are a useful everyday tool!

So you see, the only decision is to [b]BUY ONE[/b] (or more) [b]OF EACH![/b]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top