Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2002 8:54:37 AM EDT
If I get a DVD with both on it, which one gives me the better sound experience?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe DTS does.  I think it is basically uncompressed which takes up a huge amount of space on the dvd which is why you may not see as many extras on a dts dvd.  I picked up saving private ryan in dts only to find out that my dvd player doesnt support dts so i cannot listen to it in that mode.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#2]
A guy I work with who seems to think he is an expert in this area says DTS.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the DTS.  While I am by no means an expert, DTS seems to provide better separation to the rear channels as well as sharper sounds from your subwoofer.  Not necessarily louder to your sub, but sharper, as in it seems that it thumps a little more accurately when it needs to.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]
dts
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
In general DTS is better as it isnt compressed as much(very little, PCM stereo is not compressed at all and eats the disk like a pig)

but some Dolby 5.1 tracks sound better than the DTS tracked ones. it depends on the care taken on creating the audio track. both the DVD Players and the Home Theater Reciever have to support it for it to work. unless your dvd pre-decodes it into individual outputs. and your reciever will take the individual inputs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer DTS whenever I have a choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top