Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2003 8:56:28 PM EDT
Okay summer is here.... it's time to cook under our vests

I used to wear cool max but never felt it worked right.. our summers in Ohio are hot and humid....

We my new vest I got two Under Armor T-shirts..now that stuff works!

So what is everybody's preference and how do you beat the heat...

I figured this would be an educational post with summer coming up...(although it is starting to look like monsoon season here in NE Ohio)
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I love all my Under Armor shirts, both longer sleever and short sleeve. Also, look into the Under Armor bottoms, like their brief style underwear and their full length styles.

Seriously look into getting your dept to change over the outside vest carriers. Our dept had worn our vest, traditionally as most do, with the vests/carriers under the uniform shirt. A lot of depts are now going to custom made outside vest carriers. The material looks identical and last longer. Ours are made from heavy duty Cordura fabric. These are custom fitted/made for each Officer's size and his vest. For $80 they are awesome. Take em off when you are on station and they are a lot cooler in the summer cause that vest is not up against your body like an oven. Get ahold of your depts body armor/vest rep and ask his/her to inquire about which local shop you can use for your carrier. Our dept uses Second Chance and they are really strict on usaing these outside carriers. The only shop is on the area which is authorized to make these so we can use them on duty is over an hour away, but well worth the drive and money. Get your vest company to wirte you an official letter autthorizing the euse of the outside carrier , for liability and warranty reasons. Then get fitted and enojoy!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Heck, I'm in Texas. The best way to stay cool wearing a vest is to get on nights for the sumemr. Anything else is pointless. You just have to resign yourself to going around soaked under your uniform, dry your carrier every night, and clean the whole thing every couple of weeks. You can even change carriers and t-shirts on your lunch break, but I have pretty much stuck with cotten tees and the issue vest. I have one of those mesh t-shirts issued, but it didn't really do any good, and seemed to make things hotter. I do have a new "Extreme" IIIA vest that I just got issued, and it is much lighter and cooler than my old Level II. Maybe it will work better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like the Under Armor shirts.  They are much more comfortable, in my opinion, than the cotton.  Vest moves a little more freely and doesn't tend to bind up when your moving around.  I don't think it keeps you any cooler, per say, but it keeps the sweat off of your skin and doesn't clam to you like cotton.  The Cold Gear long sleeves for winter are also good.  Been meaning to try the briefs and probably will now that I have seen some feedback on em.
The only drawback, at least to the white ones, is your not supposed to bleach them.  They tend to get a little grey looking over time.  I solved that by going to black.  Use the old white ones under my workout t's when running.  Got a few frowns from supervision on the black since white has always been the norm, but oh well.  They'll get over it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I love Under Armor. I just bought two more briefs and a shirt. The briefs are great from range days when you do not want the ball sweat thing going on.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Where's the cheapest place to buy UnderArmour?
Are you guys using the loose gear or heat gear stuff?  I like the looks of this stuff but I don't want to spend that much on stuff that might not work; if it works, I'll pay the dough.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I've gotten my Heat Gear and Cool Gear shirts and shorts/tights at Sports Authority.  The usual going price is 24 bucks for the Cool Gear shirt 20 bucks for the shorts, 50 for the Heat Gear shirts and tights (each).  I've found the Heat Geat works great in keeping you comfy, but it isn't the greatest in warmth.  Regular thermals (Poly pro or cotton) will keep you warmer, but get uncomfy under the vest, so on really cold days I wore the Heat Gear under my vest and an extra layer over that.  As far as the Heat Gear, I switched from my regular carrier to the Second Chance Deep Cover Carrier which basically wears like a tee shirt.  The problem with the Under Armor is that it's a crew neck and sometime, when they are in a bad mood, the bosses like to come down on you for wearing an exposed undershirt when wearing a short sleeve uniform shirt (a no no in the NYPD Patrol Guide).  It's mostly BS but I try staying as low profile as possible (especially until I get off probation).
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I buy mine direct from Under Armor. I paid $17 for the briefs and 20 for the shirt. I like the loose gear.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Under Amor all the way!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]
On hot days, I put an ice cube down the front of my vest, between the vest and t-shirt, and one down the back, and replace as needed. I just can't see paying $20+ for an undershirt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I have worked in Central and Southern NM.  I could not believe the difference that switching from cotton to standard poly pro made.  May have to rethink this expensive underwear thing again.

pat
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#11]
The Underarmour isn't cheep, but it's worth it, espcially if you're working bike patrol.  I have a couple of shirts, and always wear them working bike, and on shifts when I think its likely to be busy for regular patrol.  Unlike cotton, where if you get the shirt wet, you're screwed, the underarmour will dry, and be alot cooler.  Working nights in the summer if you can pull it off is definitly the best solution, but not always possible, and it can still get warm at night, espically if you're active.  The underarmour will last a lot longer if you don't dry them after washing.  Just hang them up, it won't take that long for them to dry anyways.
Ask for these for Christmas, your birthday from your spouse.  It's probably cheeper then the guns you keep wanting her to get for you!

dp
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had better luck with all cotton t-shirts than anything else. That and not tightening the vest down so tight during the summer months.

Karl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top