Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
10/15/2021 7:52:46 PM
Posted: 7/23/2013 9:29:37 AM EDT
Looking at the various full-size SUV options.  Buying used (holy smokes...have you looked at what a brand new Suburban costs??).  No older than 2009, probably leaning more toward a 2011 that's still got a little bit of factory warranty left if I can make it work.  Budget is ~$30k, with less being better.

Anyone with personal experience?

Suburban (or Tahoe): best fuel economy 15/21 (relative, I know), lots of them around, sort of the standard bearer of the segment; $25-26k for a 2009, low $30's for 2011

Expedition: cheaper than a comparable suburban, 5.4 V8 sucks gas, easier to find fancy models with all the gee-whiz options (heated and cooled seats....ahhh), 3rd row actually folds flat; ~$22k for a 2009, can prolly find a 2011 for under $30k

Sequoia:  Toyota, but expensive compared to a Expedition, I don't feel like there's a ton of room in the drivers seat, lots of power, but sucks gas, much rarer than the other two options, harder to find leather seats
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:23:23 PM EDT
If you don't need the third row seats, look at the Avalanche too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:17:09 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't need the third row seats, look at the Avalanche too.
View Quote

Need the seats.  Don't want a minivan.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:22:17 PM EDT
I looked at the same choices recently.

I went with  a Suburban 2500, lots of aftermarket stuff, good power for towing, Great room on the inside.  4x4 is great.   I don't really have many complaints at all.

That said, the Sequoia is very nice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:28:15 PM EDT
Quoted:
Looking at the various full-size SUV options.  Buying used (holy smokes...have you looked at what a brand new Suburban costs??).  No older than 2009, probably leaning more toward a 2011 that's still got a little bit of factory warranty left if I can make it work.  Budget is ~$30k, with less being better.

Suburban (or Tahoe): best fuel economy 15/21 (relative, I know), lots of them around, sort of the standard bearer of the segment; $25-26k for a 2009, low $30's for 2011

Expedition: cheaper than a comparable suburban, 5.4 V8 sucks gas, easier to find fancy models with all the gee-whiz options (heated and cooled seats....ahhh), 3rd row actually folds flat; ~$22k for a 2009, can prolly find a 2011 for under $30k

Sequoia:  Toyota, but expensive compared to a Expedition, I don't feel like there's a ton of room in the drivers seat, lots of power, but sucks gas, much rarer than the other two options, harder to find leather seats
View Quote

How long do you plan on keeping it?  On road use only, or is off road performance something that will matter?  How much of an issue is the fuel economy disparity?  Could you deal with gas prices around $4.50 if not higher in the not so distant future?

Do you care more about the diving performance (speed/acceleration), capabilities (tow/payload) or on/off road performance?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:38:41 PM EDT
Suburban....  I have one.   Wife won't drive anything else.   My SIL had three different ones totaled with her kids in them (not her fault in any case).... Very minor injuries in each considering the damage.    Our is driven almost all on road with some work around the farm, but my BIL uses his off-road a good bit.   I have seen him take that thing through several places that his Silverado 2500 has a a hard time with...

Neighbor has a Expedition....   Totaled it....  Wife had major head injuries even through there was no rollover.    They replaced it with a newer one and the ride is not like our 'burban.   Also, their camper does seem to like it - lots of sway.

Cousin has a Sequoia....  Rock solid, but repairs and maintenance cost seem to be much higher.  

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:45:41 PM EDT
I just got rid of my 08 Tahoe that I hated since day1. Most of all because of no storage with the 3rd row, problem was when I would take it out they were taking up space in my living room.  Looked at the sequoia and there really nice but got a smoking deal on a 13 suburban that I absolutely love. Plenty of storage and the 3rd row actually has room for adults. If you go with a GM truck I believe it was 2010 they made some major changes to the motor. My Tahoe was lucky to get 16mpg and the suburban gets about 22.

Worth looking at is the Chevy traverse, almost as much room, 3row folds flat, rides wonderfull and gets better gas milage even with awd. Wife had a 09lt and we regret selling it
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:51:17 PM EDT
Quoted:

How long do you plan on keeping it?  On road use only, or is off road performance something that will matter?  How much of an issue is the fuel economy disparity?  Could you deal with gas prices around $4.50 if not higher in the not so distant future?

Do you care more about the diving performance (speed/acceleration), capabilities (tow/payload) or on/off road performance?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Road driving performance--just needs to be adequate; we are talking the modern land yachts here.    As for off road, as sad as it is to admit, I've taken my FJ Cruiser places a Subaru couldn't go all of about three times in the 7 years I've owned it.  A Suburban would get the job done, albeit with a few more multi-point turns.

Towing capacity--of all of them will work.  Potentially a boat in the future, but I really need the interior capacity more than the towing capacity.  My FJ Cruiser was awesome for me & wife, too cramped with people (even little people) behind me.  

I intend to live in blissful ignorance of fuel prices (just swipe the card and don't look at the $$ display on the pump).  If the EPA numbers are to be believed, the Suburban doesn't do that much worse than any of the non truck based 7 passenger options.  Might actually be an improvement from my FJ Cruiser on the highway.  Gotta pay to play, and my commute is not long.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:26:34 PM EDT
If interior space is critical, it really comes down to the Suburban or the extended Expedition (ESV?).  Tahoe has very little cargo space when all seats are in use and the Sequoia is only slightly better.  We're on our second suburban (actually a Yukon XL) and love it.  We looked at the extended Expedition briefly, but my wife thought they were ugly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:30:16 PM EDT
Quoted:

Road driving performance--just needs to be adequate; we are talking the modern land yachts here.    As for off road, as sad as it is to admit, I've taken my FJ Cruiser places a Subaru couldn't go all of about three times in the 7 years I've owned it.  A Suburban would get the job done, albeit with a few more multi-point turns.

Towing capacity--of all of them will work.  Potentially a boat in the future, but I really need the interior capacity more than the towing capacity.  My FJ Cruiser was awesome for me & wife, too cramped with people (even little people) behind me.  

I intend to live in blissful ignorance of fuel prices (just swipe the card and don't look at the $$ display on the pump).  If the EPA numbers are to be believed, the Suburban doesn't do that much worse than any of the non truck based 7 passenger options.  Might actually be an improvement from my FJ Cruiser on the highway.  Gotta pay to play, and my commute is not long.  

http://i.imgur.com/C6DRxXn.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/C6DRxXn.jpg

Well if you are looking into the surburban, that rules out the Tahoe/Sequoia and leaves you with the expedition EL.  Your decision becomes much simpler then.

Just one thing to note, have you considered something like this?

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/2014/
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:25:47 PM EDT
Quoted:

Well if you are looking into the surburban, that rules out the Tahoe/Sequoia and leaves you with the expedition EL.  Your decision becomes much simpler then.

Just one thing to note, have you considered something like this?

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/2014/
View Quote

Clearly that's a practical suggestion.  That said, driving a big van around here would suddenly take me from "friendly attorney who would like to handle your legal problems" to "friendly polygamist who would like to cart away your underage daughters"!  

I could deal with the cargo space of the regular Expedition since the seats fold flat, but an EL is in the running.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:30:44 AM EDT
Check out the Armada if you haven't yet. Mileage sucks like all of them but I love mine. Amazing power and the storage is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:42:12 AM EDT
not the years in question, but i have had, a 98 tahoe, a 01 suburban, and now a 06 sequoia. while it does not have the cargo room of my suburban, i really like it, better gas miliage, more room in cabin, better sound system, better 4wd system, more clearance. great SUV,

i would buy another suburban, but i would have to remove the front bumber as it hangs pretty low and would get ripped off at the range(we shoot on top of an old strip mine in WV)
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:50:35 AM EDT
I just traded in my 07 Tahoe... I agree on there being no storage room with the 3rd row seats in... I took mine out and put them in the garage to trip over... get a 'burban and be done with it... the drivetrains are solid just don't expect to pass many fuel stations...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:55:30 AM EDT
I have an Expedition EL, these vehicles weight 7600 pounds or mine does anyways. Even with that I get around 20mpg highway, with a range being 18-22. I am more than happy with the economy. With the 6 speed it also gets much better economy in the city than the older 4 speeds. Best economy is around 60MPH and it can hit 25-27mpg easily there, but nobody goes that slow.

Things I dont like, the seats suck bad. The fake leather is cheap as hell and the AC through the seats barely works.  GM does a excellent job on this. The brakes on the 08-09 suck bad as the supplier of the ABS controller screwed up the design and there is a flaw in them(german company-go figure). Its cheaper for Ford to ignore the problem.  It is loud inside, lots of road noise.

Things I like. Ford can build an engine without it burning tons of oil like GM does. It is mechanically very sound and I think the ride is very nice for a full size SUV, I scare the crap out of people with how well it can turn. The transmission after 09 is very sound, probably more so than the average GM transmission.

The rear seats folding down are worth gold to me as I reconfigure it from cargo to seating a lot. I would get one again, that or a Suburban.

The seqioas have there problems and just seemed way overpriced for what you get.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:49:25 AM EDT
I know several people who have drove the wheels off a suburban.  They are good vehicles in my opinion, been around many years and see a lot of older ones still on the road.  My in-laws have a newer one and it sees a lot of use and has been great for them.

I know several people that owned expeditions.  They all had good luck with them and had normal wear and tear maintenance to do like any vehicle.  I would think either one of the above would be gtg.  I am sure the Toyota is a good vehicle also, but I would look at interior dimensions if you are needing room.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:53:49 AM EDT
I have plenty of experience with both Suburban and Expedition.  Currently drive an EB Exp.  Surburbans are fine vehicles.  Reliable, functional and spacious.  However, the interior takes second place to the Exp.  The REAL deal breaker is the auto fold-flat 3rd row in the Exp.  Once you have it, there is no going back.  The convenience and flexibility of fold flat seats is undeniable.  I've lugged the damn 3rd row suburban seat in and out so many times I cannot count...after you find a good place to store it while it sits and takes up space, of course.  With the Exp I push two buttons, depending upon my immediate needs. Seats fold neatly into the floor or stay up, or some combo thereof.   No requirement that I decide on the 3rd row seat before every single venture out.  Although I am admittedly a bit of a Ford fan, I'd love to have a suburban someday.  But until they come up with a solution to the 3rd row (and that's gonna be tough so long as they keep it SRA) and at least equal the Ford in interior appearance/quality, I'll stick with Exp.  I do like the chevy pushrod 5.3L motor better than the Ford OHC 5.4L though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:57:04 AM EDT
Quoted:
I have plenty of experience with both Suburban and Expedition.  Currently drive an EB Exp.  Surburbans are fine vehicles.  Reliable, functional and spacious.  However, the interior takes second place to the Exp.  The REAL deal breaker is the auto fold-flat 3rd row in the Exp.  Once you have it, there is no going back.  The convenience and flexibility of fold flat seats is undeniable.  I've lugged the damn 3rd row suburban seat in and out so many times I cannot count...after you find a good place to store it while it sits and takes up space, of course.  With the Exp I push two buttons, depending upon my immediate needs. Seats fold neatly into the floor or stay up, or some combo thereof.   No requirement that I decide on the 3rd row seat before every single venture out.  Although I am admittedly a bit of a Ford fan, I'd love to have a suburban someday.  But until they come up with a solution to the 3rd row (and that's gonna be tough so long as they keep it SRA) and at least equal the Ford in interior appearance/quality, I'll stick with Exp.  I do like the chevy pushrod 5.3L motor better than the Ford OHC 5.4L though.
View Quote

What sort of real world gas mileage do you get?

ETA:  I have trouble believing that a Suburban and an Expedition, with such similar specs, really differ by 15% in real world fuel economy (at least in the city, since the Chevy has the cylinder deactivation)
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:10:15 AM EDT
I have a 2012 Limited Expedition 4X4 with the 6 speed auto and 5.4 V8.  It currently has 15000 miles on it. Sticker says 13 and 17mpg, so far driving 50/50 city/highway I get about 15 to 15.5, and driving 20/80highway I get about 16.8 to 17. I have not taken a road trip in it yet so do not know what I would get for 100% highway, but hoping I'll get 18 when I do.

I have the second row captain chairs, and love it when I need to haul around 5+ people. The open area between the seats in the second row give direct access to the 3rd row. Also the folding flat seats are great when I need to haul a lot of cargo.

I have the standard wheel base, so when using the 3rd row seats there is not much cargo room.

The handling of the vehicle is really nice and car-like. The performance of the engine is average. Acceleration and response is average (This is my wife's primary vehicle, I drive a 2011 f150 Ecoboost), My tuned ecoboost engine in my F150 is like a rocket ship.

I have since tuned the Expedition with a 5star towing program, and acceleration and response have become much peppier.

My Expedition stickered for $54950, but was fully loaded for a limo company in Vegas ( only options it did not have was 2rd row center console, and rear entertainment system), the Limo Company backed out of the purchase and it sat on the lot for a few months. I was able to get $12000 off sticker and made out great on my trade when the deal was done. It also helped that my wife and I didn't need the vehicle at the time so we walked out and were called back a few days later with a great offer.

You should be able to find a one year old XLT Expedition with 25000 or less miles for around $25000, Limited's are about $7000 to $10000 more last I checked.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:42:44 PM EDT
Quoted:

ETA:  I have trouble believing that a Suburban and an Expedition, with such similar specs, really differ by 15% in real world fuel economy (at least in the city, since the Chevy has the cylinder deactivation)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the city, my non-EL Exp gets 14-16.  Solid 18-19 on the highway so long as I stay 80 or under.  The surbubans sans cylinder deactivation got just about the same all the way around..which is not too bad since it IS a bigger vehicle.

ETA: My Exp is 2WD.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:11:08 PM EDT
Wife has a new Tahoe and its bad ass! She pulls horse trailers all over with ease. But wish she would have got the suburban for more room. The Tahoe gets 21-22 mpg highway (4x4), but she drives the speed limit or under.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:36:33 PM EDT
We have an '08 Expedition (non EL model), and I have been very pleased with it thus far.  Current mileage is around 65k or so, and averages around 18 or so on the highway.  The previous SUV was an '06 Equinox, and the power and size difference between the two is considerable.  I've always been a Tahoe fan, but have really been impressed with the Expedition.  Has plenty of muscle to pull decent sized trailers, great brakes, and plenty of interior space.  Doesn't have the 3rd row seats, which was a non-issue with only one child.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:15:44 AM EDT
Burb.

It's what all other fullsize SUV's try to emulate.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:50:11 AM EDT
Suburban / Tahoe.....fullsize SUVs are one thing GM really does right.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:34:08 AM EDT
why not to get diesel one?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:05:43 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

The only option would be a Ford Excursion from 2002ish until they ended the line about five years ago. No one makes a diesel full size suv.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:48:30 PM EDT
Quoted:

The only option would be a Ford Excursion from 2002ish until they ended the line about five years ago. No one makes a diesel full size suv.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Audi Q7 TDI

Mercedes GL 350 BlueTec

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:04:31 PM EDT
Quoted:

Audi Q7 TDI

Mercedes GL 350 BlueTec

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Audi Q7 TDI

Mercedes GL 350 BlueTec

You can score a clean, low mileage, late model 3/4 ton Suburban for under 30k, day in and day out.  I wasn't able to find any of those two anywhere in the United States for under 30k and under 100k miles on Autotrader.com.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:32:12 PM EDT
Quoted:

You can score a clean, low mileage, late model 3/4 ton Suburban for under 30k, day in and day out.  I wasn't able to find any of those two anywhere in the United States for under 30k and under 100k miles on Autotrader.com.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Audi Q7 TDI

Mercedes GL 350 BlueTec

Not saying you will, just correcting your statement that nobody made a full size diesel SUV since the Excursion was discontinued.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:41:22 PM EDT
Quoted:
Check out the Armada if you haven't yet. Mileage sucks like all of them but I love mine. Amazing power and the storage is ridiculous.
View Quote

Third row folds flat making it very cavernous....

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:35:55 PM EDT
Quoted:

Audi Q7 TDI

Mercedes GL 350 BlueTec

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Audi Q7 TDI

Mercedes GL 350 BlueTec

As nice as German cars are, I have no desire to deal with the reliability problems likely to come up with either of those (gas or diesel).  I'm hoping that I can buy a big SUV, drive it for a few years, and then keep it around as the family truckster / spare car.  I know from personal experience that the kraut-mobiles can get uneconomical to repair in a hurry as they get older.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.